RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Nervous traveler

Author Topic: Nervous traveler
Tessie
Member # 1419

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tessie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I understand that my trip to California in October may have some 'problems'...let's up one of them is not cancellation. I have read enough on these forums to understand that a perfect trip is not possible. I'm an elderly widow traveling alone and all I want is a nice trip.

For right now can anyone point me in the direction of a website that will tell me what the codes on the tickets mean. I have one that says
carrier 2v 92 vs
02/9210

others are about the same. Accomodations seem to be vs, vd (don't laught), ds, and dd. I think the 92 is the train number, but where do I find out the rest of the information.

Reassure me that I will have a pleasant and rewarding trip. I want to see my country before I'm too old to travel. If I enjoy this trip, I plan on my next one being to Alaska by rail.

Posts: 18 | From: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lakeshorelimited
Member # 576

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for lakeshorelimited     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know my last post was somewhat negative regarding Amtrak's future, but let me assure you that I am still planning on booking right through October, and planning my travels with the expectation that Amtrak will be around beyond then for all my travelling needs!

I would also have to say that over 90% of my Amtrak trips have been great- problem-free and VERY enjoyable! If Amtrak wasn't a great way to see the country-side and relax and spend a vacation, in my mind, I wouldn't keep taking the train every chance I get. Why else would I turn a 2.5 hour trip home into a 50 hour 2000 mile journey if it wasn't a vacation for me?

In my experiences, you will see America in a way you've never seen it before. The train cars are modern, comfortable, and the lounge car is a great way to see all the scenary. The food is the dinning car is great, and hopefully the service will be as good on board, to make your journey pleasant.

You might be a late at your end-point, but if you don't let that bother you, you should have a great trip.

There might be some horror stories out there, but there are many many more enjoyable trips on the train. Stay optimistic, and look forward to your cross-country trip. I'm just jealous that it isn't me taking that journey!

Posts: 140 | From: Albany, NY | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
disgusted
Member # 1373

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for disgusted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those are just computer codes on your ticket. Some are codes for pricing info. Just make sure the dates,times,and origin and destination points are correct.
Posts: 49 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trainman1
Member # 1392

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for trainman1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the 02/9210, "02" is your room number and "9210" is the designation for your sleeping car, meaning that it's the first sleeping car on train 92.

Here is a page showing diagrams of Amtrak's sleeping cars. That train uses the Viewliner sleeping cars, shown at the bottom, but some of the trains you'll be on if you're going all the way to California will use the Superliner cars.

I should also point out this page, which has a lot of great tips about Amtrak travel.

[This message has been edited by trainman1 (edited 03-12-2002).]

Posts: 112 | From: North Hollywood, California | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bon Jo
Member # 1323

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Bon Jo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lakeshore says it all. You can see the best scenery and meet the most interesting people on the train. The food is also great. This should be the first of hopefully many train trips you will take. We are leaving Thurs. for a 10 day trip through the Northeast from Indiana. Just got to make it 1 more day.
Posts: 5 | From: Columbus, IN | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim
Member # 65

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The diagram of the rooms in the link in one of the previous posts has one error. In a Viewliner sleeping car, rooms A and B are reversed. They are reversed in much of Amtrak's published literature as well, so the error is understandable. Room B is the room closer to the center of the car and Room A is between Rooms B and H.
Posts: 72 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tessie
Member # 1419

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tessie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for all your help. I do look forward to this trip and don't mind a few inconveniences. But when I'm paying over $2500 for the trip I do expect some level of comfort. I'll keep your thoughts in mind and will be checking back into this forum for information as I need it.

I'll also come back and report to you all how the trip went. Again my thanks.

Posts: 18 | From: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CarterB
Member # 1439

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted      Profile for CarterB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since you listed your train as #92 (Silver Star) and mentioned you are going to California, I am assuming that you are in South Florida and are either connecting to The Sunset Ltd to go to LA or going North to DC then to Chicago to connect with the Cal Zephyr to Oakland? If you are doing this, my suggestion is you connect to the Capitol Ltd in Washington for your trip to Chicago. In any case you will be spending up to four nights on the train. If you have room 2, that is a standard viewliner (single level) sleeper with no shower. Look further down your connecting trains tickets to see what kind of room and where in the car you are located for the trip West. I normally HIGHLY recommend that a coast to coast traveller book a DELUXE room with shower. Much more comfortable size room, and has all the facilities in the room. The Standard rooms have facilities 'down the hall' and are shared.
The best rooms are located near the center of the car (less bumpy) standard bedrooms the lower the number, the better (i.e. BR 1 or 2 rather than 9 or 10 horrible!) Deluxe, the higher in the Alphabet the better the room (i.e. E is good A is horrible!)
Have Amtrak or a Travel Agent go over your entire itinerary and explain your accommodations and room locations to you.

Have a great trip!!

[This message has been edited by CarterB (edited 03-18-2002).]

Posts: 53 | From: Mahwah, NJ, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tessie
Member # 1419

Rate Member
Thank you for responding, Carter. I am going from Jacksonville, FL to Philadelphia, then to Chicago, and on to Sacramento. I have a standard sleeper for the first leg of the trip (from Jax to Phil), then deluxe for the rest of the trip. I figured I could do one night in a standard, but I certainly wasn't going to do the whole way in a small area.

I'm in room D0532 on the way out from Chicago and back will be in E0230. I return from Sacramento to LA, then straight into Jax. I hope those are the better rooms as you said.

Thanks again for the information.

drew_henderson
Member # 1480

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for drew_henderson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
2v is the ticketing carrier code for Amtrak (as opposed to UA for United Airlines etc..).

Enjoy your trip!!!

Posts: 22 | From: Yardley, PA US | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yummykaz
Member # 475

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yummykaz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tessie:

I complained a bunch last week....but really I get SOOOOO excited that we are getting on the train that I can't eat sometimes! I love getting in my room...calming down and looking out my window. I love seeing the old towns go by. I love eating in the diner. I love meeting new people on the train.

My pal took the same trip I did last week...but on a plane...I was 2 1/2 hours late. She was 18 hours late and her family plit up onto two planes. So even with the crappy toilets, some rude employees...it is fun.

Posts: 168 | From: Spring TX USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page