RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Has this started yet?

Author Topic: Has this started yet?
Room Service
Member # 2405

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Room Service     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Starting April 1 through December 2006, track improvements and tunnel work will affect service on Coast Starlight Train 11.

Motorcoach Service from Santa Barbara to Simi Valley, Van Nuys and Los Angeles

On Monday through Saturday of each week, Train 11, which normally operates between Seattle and Los Angeles, will terminate in Oxnard, due to a tunnel renovation project being performed by Metrolink near Chatsworth, CA.

Passengers traveling on Train 11 who are destined for Simi Valley, Van Nuys and Los Angeles will detrain in Santa Barbara, where they will be provided motorcoach service to those cities.

Posts: 218 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had heard about this from a friend who watches things on train orders and thought it was only going to happen if #11 was going to be late enough to not make it through the tunnel before 10PM. I guess they rethought things. It sounds as if the plan is to deadhead the train from Oxnard to LAUPT so that it can operate as #14.

Apparently the Surfliners will not be affected since they are all through that area before work begins at 10PM.

This tunnel really does need work. I believe it was built in the early part of the 20th Century and had damage during the 1984 Northridge earthquake.

I'd say you are certainly due a partial rebate on the roomette charge.

Frank in still dry SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nothing of this on the Amtrak website.

Is there hardcopy somewhere?

--------------------
The City of Saint Louis (UP, 1967) is still my standard for passenger operations

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rtabern
Member # 4306

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rtabern   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I called and asked what was going on because I thought it was weird that they were going to bus people on #11, but there were no plans to bus people on Surfliner #798 (which is actually scheduled to run 45 minutes later on the same tracks!)

Totally what sbalax said.

If 11 is running late, they will bus people from Santa Barbara or Oxnard.

Metrolink and Surfliners will run as scheduled since they are never that late.

So you should be ok, unless 11 is running more than 2 hours late

Posts: 100 | From: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Room Service
Member # 2405

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Room Service     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PullmanCo:
Nothing of this on the Amtrak website.

Is there hardcopy somewhere?

To see the announcement see.

I called and was told that if #11 is not at Simi Valley by 10pm riders will be bused from Santa Barbara south to LAX.

Posts: 218 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you [Smile]

Have to wonder how Amtrak is going to deal with the First Class passengers. Hopefully the tariff will reflect bus LA-SB, thence rail.

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amtrak-P42
Member # 4356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtrak-P42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone know if they are getting #11's equipment down to LA since this started? Or are they bussing people on #14 from LA-SBA?

--------------------
~Late trains=More time on the train=The best trains~

Posts: 3 | From: hotlanta! | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amtrak-P42:
Anyone know if they are getting #11's equipment down to LA since this started? Or are they bussing people on #14 from LA-SBA?

I read somewhere else that #11's empty consist will continue on to LAX early the next morning once the tunnel work stops for the night.

From this point I'll defer to those who are our regular west coast riders and observers on all things 'Coast Starlight'.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The equipment does deadhead to LA Coach Yards the following morning but with the 5th Train Set being used, the 14 train set is already in Los Angeles and will leave hopefully on time.

http://www.trainweb.org/chris

Chris

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by chrisg:
The equipment does deadhead to LA Coach Yards the following morning but with the 5th Train Set being used, the 14 train set is already in Los Angeles and will leave hopefully on time.

http://www.trainweb.org/chris

Chris

Thanks Chris. I edited my post so that it no longer suggests that the deadheaded consist departs as #14 the same day.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page