RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Pacific Parlor "Substitution"

Author Topic: Pacific Parlor "Substitution"
TALKrr
Member # 683

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TALKrr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Will be riding the Starlight between Portland and Emeryville in early May. Naturally, I am looking forward to enjoying the Pacific Parlor Car.

If (hopefully NOT), one is unavailable that day what is Amtrak's "normal" procedure ?

I have heard that sometimes an extra Sight-seer Lounge Car is added as a substitute. If that is the case , is this extra car accessible to first-class passengers only ?

I have also heard that sometimes no extra car is added at all and that the Dining-Car is used for the wine/cheese tastings.

Which usually seems to happen---or is there another "scenario" ?

Just curious.

Posts: 187 | From: Pittsburgh , PA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PaulB
Member # 4258

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for PaulB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're correct in your assumptions.

It all depends on what's available in the Los Angeles yard. Sometimes you will get a Sightseer Lounge, sometimes nothing at all. On rare occasions, a dining car has substituted for the Parlour car.

Posts: 286 | From: Knee deep in the retention tank | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just got off the Coast Starlight, as you see in my other thread we did not have a parlour car, nor a substitute.
Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr williams
Member # 1928

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mr williams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm taking the CS from Portland to San Luis Obispo in 10 days time so I'll let you know.
As an aside, when I first started reading Trainweb about five years ago the CS seemed to be very much the "Jewel in the Crown", with the wine tasting, parlour car, good timekeeping and excellent service etc. Now reports seem to suggest it is tired, clapped out and perpetually late. Given that I have "realistic" expectations of Amtrak, what can I expect?

Posts: 395 | From: england | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page