RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » I'm also taking a spring trip

Author Topic: I'm also taking a spring trip
Dan Adams
Member # 1177

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Adams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The first link from Toronto to Buffalo-Depew on 4/14 will have to be by bus. The Lakeshore Limited does not arrive until about Midnight. BUF appears (from satellite photos) to be in an industrial area without any coffee shops nearby.
Because the distance to Chicago is fairly short, I didn't think it worth while to order up a roomette for this first leg. I never sleep well the first night on a train anyway.
4/15- arrive Chicago. White Sox vs Jays on
Sunday afternoon.
4/17-4/19 Chicago-Sacramento. Sleepers all
the way from then on.
4/20-Day trip to San Francisco. Capitol Corridor to Oakland..Ferry boat to Ferry Terminal in San Francisco. Ride cable cars and streetcars. Hike across Golden Gate bridge to Sausalito and ferry back to Ferry Terminal. BART to Richmond and C. Corridor to SAC. Wheww!
4/21-4/22 Saramento-Seattle. This train is notoriously late. I'm not looking forward to arriving in the early hours of the 23rd.
4/25 Depart Seattle for Chicago. I have to decide to stay over another day and take a tour of Frank Lloyd Wright's favourite building-his Johnson Wax Headquarters in Racine, Wis. This will give me a chance to ride the Hiawatha from Chicago.

My accommodations will all be at 'Hostelling International' facilities. I used those on a NARPass trip around the USA back in 2002 and feel confident in staying with them again.

I lucked out as far as the meals are concerned. The simplified meal sevice does not take effect until May. I'll report on the meals later, as many posters here are concerned about recent changes.

Posts: 33 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Be sure to let us know how the trip goes when you return. Let us know more about your accomodations in Sacramento too. I'm pretty sold on the Vagabond Inn there BUT always interested in saving a few bucks.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dan--

Sounds like a great trip. I'd be interested in knowing more about the tour of the Johnson's Wax Headquarters. Is there a website? I'll be in Milwaukee in the summer of 2007 for a Peace Corps Reunion and might be able to include this.

Frank in dark but clear SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rtabern
Member # 4306

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rtabern   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Frank,

http://www.wrightinwisconsin.org/WisconsinSites/SCJohnson/

I live 15 minutes from Racine. I have never toured it though, but an ex-girlfriend of mine did with her family in 2004 and said it was worth the trip. You have to call and make reservations. Like I said in the other post, when you're in Milwaukee next year, drop me a line and we can do lunch or something.

RTT

Posts: 100 | From: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Adams
Member # 1177

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Adams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frank:
Also,check out the SC Johnson Wax The Golden Rondelle Theater Schedule at www.racinecounty.com/golden/schedule.htm
Dan

Posts: 33 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Adams
Member # 1177

Rate Member
Notelvis:
Returned from my Spring Trip last week, and want to update you on Hostelling International's Sacramento facility as you requested. I'm a member of Hostelling International.
The location is east of the AMTRAK station about 5 blocks-a 10-15 minute walk. The main public library is a block away (Free Internet)and the hostel sits among high rise state and county government buildings.
The three-story hostel is an old mansion which is exquisitly maintained inside and out, and has paved parking,$5/night,behind an iron fence.
As far as I could tell, the main floor had a common room with antique furniture and a parlour with more of the same, with plaques on the wall identifying financial supporters of the hostel as well as works of art. The second floor room , where I stayed, had 4 sets of bunk beds, spaced nicely apart, with each bunk assigned a metal locker. You are proved with a fitted sheet and an over-sheet and blanket as well as towels. Washroom/shower room was brightly lit and immaculately clean. There is a kitchen for those who wish to prepare meals and a fully equipped laundry room as well. The house rules are firmly adhered to-no drinking or smoking on site, or loud noise after 11pm. The hostel organizes outings to tourist spots. As I was leaving, a couple with young children were arriving-and inquiring about the Railroad museum.
The hostel cost me $49US for two nights.
On the web, it's hisac@norcalhostels.org

notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dan Adams:
Notelvis:
Returned from my Spring Trip last week, and want to update you on Hostelling International's Sacramento facility as you requested. I'm a member of Hostelling International.
The location is east of the AMTRAK station about 5 blocks-a 10-15 minute walk. The main public library is a block away (Free Internet)and the hostel sits among high rise state and county government buildings.
The three-story hostel is an old mansion which is exquisitly maintained inside and out, and has paved parking,$5/night,behind an iron fence.
As far as I could tell, the main floor had a common room with antique furniture and a parlour with more of the same, with plaques on the wall identifying financial supporters of the hostel as well as works of art. The second floor room , where I stayed, had 4 sets of bunk beds, spaced nicely apart, with each bunk assigned a metal locker. You are proved with a fitted sheet and an over-sheet and blanket as well as towels. Washroom/shower room was brightly lit and immaculately clean. There is a kitchen for those who wish to prepare meals and a fully equipped laundry room as well. The house rules are firmly adhered to-no drinking or smoking on site, or loud noise after 11pm. The hostel organizes outings to tourist spots. As I was leaving, a couple with young children were arriving-and inquiring about the Railroad museum.
The hostel cost me $49US for two nights.
On the web, it's hisac@norcalhostels.org

Sounds like an excellent alternative. My wife and I once (about 10 years ago) stayed a couple of nights at a hostel in Durango, CO (and yes, rode the Silverton train) and had a good experience. As we've grown a little older and a little more affluent we've become more of the Quality Inn kind of crowd.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page