RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Chicago Metropolitan Lounge

Author Topic: Chicago Metropolitan Lounge
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've not been there in at least three years. Before the latest renovation in other words.

Can anyone tell me what's new and what I should check out when I'm there Tuesday?

Thanks

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David when we were there during this past year I was impressed at how spacious it seemed. The space has been expanded and we didn't feel crowded in. They added tables and chairs too. We went up stairs to Robinson's and got their delicious shrimp platters( instead of ribs) for lunch. We brought them back to the lounge and sat at a table like "real people" instead of juggling the plates on our laps. The whole place was much more relaxed. I will be interested in your impression.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by train lady:
David when we were there during this past year I was impressed at how spacious it seemed. The space has been expanded and we didn't feel crowded in. They added tables and chairs too. The whole place was much more relaxed. I will be interested in your impression.

How were they able to expand the space? By moving luggage storage elsewhere? By taking in more of the regular waiting area? Did they expand towards the southside or the northside gates? That original lounge didn't seem to have much room to expand if I remember it correctly.

When I post my CZ trip report sometime next weekend I'll be sure to include my reactions to what I find in Union Station.

--------------------
David Pressley

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vicki
Member # 3410

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vicki     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know north from south and I'm usually a little unclear when it comes to right and left but I'm going to take a stab at this.

The best I can remember. . the desk is in roughly the same place, just as you enter the lounge. The area to the left, as you face the desk, is much bigger. The furniture is a lot more comfortable, more and bigger tv's, etc. The baggage room has been relocated to across from the dest, I think. I don't know if the bathrooms are new or not but they're really nice. Lots of snacks at the snack bar. I tried to get my husband to help but he pays less attention than I do (and we were just there last July!)

Posts: 149 | From: Joliet, IL USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray S
Member # 3175

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray S     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was there last summer and the whole area seemed so much bigger. I was waiting to catch the Cardinal (at your suggestion) and watched the Alabama ? somebody game with no one even near me.

Employee's came around a couple of times to see if I was doing ok.

Ray

Posts: 70 | From: West Palm Beach, Fl. USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They seem to have expanded to the rear. Vickie is right. the desk is in the same place,the luggage storage area is across from it instead of down the hall and it is manned. The old open shelving area is still there to the right as you enter. There are structural pillars where the wall used to be in the rear and there is a nice area beyond. The Chairs are much more comfortable ditto the couches. The rest rooms are in the same place and at least the ladies is the same. It is very clean and neat as ever.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AHALL
Member # 3515

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AHALL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Metropolitan Lounge in Chicago Union Station was expanded to the north by reducing the size of the commuter waiting area which was down the hallway from the Lounge.

The restrooms, desk area, and refreshment area are unchanged. People space was expanded and a second luggage area inside the Lounge were added.

The only train boarded from the Lounge's exterior door seems to be the Empire Builder. When I have been there, all other trains have been boarded from the Lounge by following a staff member through the station, around the general waiting area.

The biggest improvement was to the ventilation system, those huge fans that blasted air in the Lounge seem to be gone.

Posts: 76 | From: Steubenville, OH | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To me, the "new" Chicago Metropolitan Lounge still feels like my dentist's waiting room, only ten times larger and equipped with far more unflattering lighting. The staff is still cranky. Most of the refreshments are usually gone by mid-afternoon. And when crowded, the place is just as claustrophobia-inducing as it has always been.

I don't think I ever spend more than five minutes in there, before common sense prevails and I head for the old wooden benches out in the Great Hall -- which is still the only place in the entire station that makes me feel I'm actually waiting to board a train.

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't been to CUS since 2002 (but I'll be there again this summer) -- I thought I remember a thread here last year or so saying that the Chicago Met. Lounge had moved to a different location within CUS, but after reading this thread, it appears that it is in the same location, only bigger. So is it in the same place it's always been? (E side of the station, across from the main east staircase, between the North Concourse and South Concourse waiting areas)?
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RRRICH:
I haven't been to CUS since 2002 (but I'll be there again this summer) -- I thought I remember a thread here last year or so saying that the Chicago Met. Lounge had moved to a different location within CUS, but after reading this thread, it appears that it is in the same location, only bigger. So is it in the same place it's always been? (E side of the station, across from the main east staircase, between the North Concourse and South Concourse waiting areas)?

Thanks everyone for your input. Vicki, the 'north' gates at CUS are the ones where the trains to Milwaukee and the 'Empire Builder' depart. All other Amtrak trains depart from the 'south' gates. If you've just walked into where I remember the metropolitan lounge as being, you are facing east if you're facing the desk. North is to your left and south is to your right. Having a keen sense of direction is both a blessing and a curse. I can always seem to find a train station in any new city or town but if I'm trying to find something else (with my wife along) I am lost until she insists I stop and ask for directions. Go figure!

Rich, from what I have read.....in the past and now in this thread, I believe that the metropolitan lounge was temporarily relocated elsewhere in CUS while they renovated and expanded the existing space. That renovation is complete and the new and improved lounge is back where it was. I was unclear of that myself until reading the responses to my question. I've done the math and like you I've not been in CUS since 2002. I was coming off a four hour late 'Southwest Chief' and recall just missing the last 'Hiawatha' of the day to Milwaukee. We're talking reaching the gate just in time to see the markers of the last car swing out of sight!

Based on what I'm reading here, it sounds like the lounge was enlarged a little eastward toward the river (and the one track which runs through the station....#28 or #29 I believe) and then also a good bit northward into a space that had always been underutilized as a waiting area for the Hiawatha service trains to Milwaukee. (A commuter service yes but that area was only open to Amtrak passengers.) This, AHALL, would be consistent with them still being able to board the 'Empire Builder' out the rear doors of the lounge.

Ray, how was your trip on the 'Cardinal'?

And Dilly, I agree that the Great Hall in CUS feels much more like a train station than anything else in the city. I imagine I will divide my time sampling the new lounge (for the free snacks if nothing else), hanging out in the great hall, and maybe taking a quick trip up the Sears Tower.

--------------------
David Pressley

rtabern
Member # 4306

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rtabern   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since I live in Milwaukee and have family in the northern burbs of Chicago, I frequent Chicago Union Station 1-2 times a month.

I love the old waiting room. My dad has great stories of waiting for trains there in the 1940's and 1950's. Almost every time I am there they always rent out the hall and have special dinners and gala there (especially Saturday nights!) Also, they sometimes film movies and TV shows there. When I was there last October, they had the whole Great Hall blocked off. I peaked in by the doors by the Metra ticket counter. There were tons of film crews and extras dressed in 1940's clothes... and guess who walked by? Kevin Costner. A production assistant told me the movie they were filming was called "Flags of Our Fathers". Look for it... and "The Great Hall" in theaters sometime late this year they said.

Anyhow, the Metropolitan Lounge is ok. I mean I wouldn't arrive 3 hours early to hang out in there or anything -- but it beats the regular (or "coach") waiting areas. Is it me, or does anyone else totally hate that waiting area? I mean everytime I board it's like the same routine all over again. First, they call the business class and seniors and families with kids, but half of the people go out there anyway (thinking somehow they qualify) then get turned away. Sometimes it's funny to watch them!! But then, when they do general boarding in the coach area everyone is about ready to push each other and kill each other to be first. Uggghh!! So, I'd rather have the Metropolitan Lounge than that.

Posts: 100 | From: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by rtabern:
Is it me, or does anyone else totally hate that waiting area? I mean everytime I board it's like the same routine all over again. First, they call the business class and seniors and families with kids, but half of the people go out there anyway (thinking somehow they qualify) then get turned away. Sometimes it's funny to watch them!! But then, when they do general boarding in the coach area everyone is about ready to push each other and kill each other to be first. Uggghh!! So, I'd rather have the Metropolitan Lounge than that.

YES - I know exactly what you speak of. That area is just awful and the hordes of people trying to jam onto the long-distance trains makes it worse. It's always a lesson in the darker side of human nature watching the boarding ritual at CUS.

While I am OK arriving into Chicago in coach I try to book sleeper for departure so that I don't have to endure the CUS 'boarding ritual' from the coach waiting area.

--------------------
David Pressley

rrrayinmd
Member # 4148

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rrrayinmd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David, June 2005 - Cardinal to and from Chicago was a good ride. Between DC and I would say Charlottesville, the cut is real close and foliage blocks a lot of the Virginia countryside. We had a surly women working the lounge car...slow, mouthy and appeared that she didn't want to be behind the counter. I wrote a letter to AMTRAK but did not receive a response.

On return "adventure", we were delayed 4 hours by a freight derailment somewhere south of Indianapolis. But as it was night...we slept through the delay. A fellow traveller going all the way to NYC had hopes that the engineer would make up the 4 hours so his ride wouldn't have to wait....well, by the time I detrained in Baltimore, we had gained 15 minutes.....and he was still hopeful. I wonder if one can make up 3 hours and 45 minutes with less than 2 hours left on the trip!! :>} All in all, a great experience on the Cardinal.

Posts: 34 | From: Carroll County, MD | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have never really enjoyed the Chicago Metropolitan lounge either. The staff there is always stressed out, crabby, and harried, and there is NEVER any place to sit. There are throngs of people, and every time I walk anywhere I am screamed at to not stand there or not sit there or something by the staff. I would much rather wait for trains in the food court on the second level, or even outside sitting along the river in the plaza watching the boats go by (weather permitting, of course). But maybe the situation is better now that the lounge has been expanded...... I'll find out this summer.
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One more quick question - does the Chicago Met. Lounge still have the baggage storage room (actually a big closet with shelves) next to the desk?
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Rich, we found a world of difference in the lounge. I hope you do too. The space seemd to make a difference in the staff. they were more relaxed. People weren't crowded in and getting on each others nerves and even when there were a lot of people no one was wandering around looking for a place to sit.
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The staff at the Metropolitan Lounge has always been nice when I've been through (4 times so far). The man checking the luggage was particularly cheerful and remembered me when I got back. I did not spend lots of time there, just dumped my luggage and went to explore the city. I know what you mean about the flourescent lighting but otherwise I was comfortable enough when I got back.

I've been in only four first-class lounges on Amtrak so far, NYC, DC, Chicago, and Portland OR. I also briefly saw the first-class lounge in Minneapolis but didn't use it--I was just stretching my legs from the Empire Builder. I did not have a chance to see the Miami first-class lounge when I got in there last January--I think they have one, but the train was really late so no time to explore (and I did not leave from Miami on the return trip).

Of the Amtrak first-class lounges I've seen, I think Portland OR was nicest. But it's a lot less busy than DC, Chi, and NY, of course!

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grandma Judy
Member # 3278

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Grandma Judy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rich - in reply to your question about luggage storage in the CUS Metropolitan Lounge - the storage room to the right of the desk is still there with open shelves, but I preferred to use the relocated storage area located directly behind you as you face the desk. It is a cheked luggage system, manned when the lounge is open. You leave your bags, hold on to your claim check, and explore the station or just relax. Finding a seat has never been a problem since they remodeled, and I really appreciate the clean, roomy bathrooms. Drinks are always available, but food does tend to disappear. Staff did not seem as surly on my last trip.
Posts: 122 | From: Milwaukee, WI USA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page