RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » 18 Hours to Launch

Author Topic: 18 Hours to Launch
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I depart for my next railroad adventure at an unlikely time.......

3:30am eastern Tuesday morning.

I begin with a four hour drive (using the change from eastern to central time to my advantage) to the Nashville, TN airport where I have a morning non-stop flight with Southwest Airlines to Chicago. I like non-stop flights. I would drive up to four hours on the front end of a trip to avoid changing planes!!!!!

SHAMELESS PLEA: If anyone reading has any influence over at Southwest Airlines, I would really, really like to see SWA add service to Asheville, NC or, at the very least Greenville, SC or Knoxville, TN. With the demise of Independence Air, gate space IS available and ready for you!

I should reach the loop via the el by 10:45 or so and expect to be in Union Station minutes later. I'll check in at the Metropolitan Lounge and stow my one bag before finding a quick early lunch (the watch says 11:00am but my stomach will say high noon!), then maybe take in the Sears Tower.

I'll depart westward on the California Zephyr early in the afternoon, take an early dinner seating, and turn in as soon as it gets dark. I hope we are still close to on-time because I really love this trip and can be mesmerized at least as far as Ottumwa, IA.

I'll wake up Wednesday for the two most spectacular days of Amtrak travel anywhere and hope for an Emeryville arrival early enough to get a Capitol Corridor train on to Jack London Square. (CZ has been running 2-6 hours late on arrival MOST of the last two weeks.) Depending on our time-keeping I may jump ship in Sacramento if we are near enough on-time to squeeze in 90 minutes at the California Railroad Museum and then take the Capitol Corridor on to Oakland.

This trip is made possible by the blessing we in education know as 'Spring Break', super cheap specials offered by Southwest Airlines, and my lucking into a surprisingly cheap roomette fare on the 'California Zephyr'. The same space was $100.00 to $180.00 more expensive every other day this week.

I'll spend Thursday night in the Jack London Inn which has been recommended here. Friday morning I'll swing over to the Oakland Airport and fly Southwest (again non-stop) back to Nashville......anticipated arrival home after the drive about 10:30pm eastern.

To quote the infamous Chris G. "Every trip is an adventure."

Usual disclaimer here - This is my vacation and I am doing this to relax. I expect to meet interesting people, catch up on some reading, and carry a cell phone to check in back home when possible. I am NOT carrying a laptop to do some work. I am NOT going to look for wireless hotspots or track my progress with a blog. I'll take some photos for the album but will not be putting anything other than a review of my experiences up on the this site. In other words - I'm going to be UNPLUGGED for the better part of three days and THAT'S the point in doing this.

Talk to you good people when I return!

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rtabern
Member # 4306

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rtabern   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like fun... the CZ is my favorite route!

Around Memorial Day, I am going to Alaska (flying there from Seattle after the EB arrives), but coming home I am purposely flying into San Francisco rather than Seattle just so I can take the CZ home.

Well worth it man!

Posts: 100 | From: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray S
Member # 3175

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray S     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have a great trip. The trip you recommended on the Cardinal last year from Chi to Was was great!

Deluxe bedromm, friendly attendant, food was fine, great scenery and had an on time arrival. That's as good as it gets.

Ray

Posts: 70 | From: West Palm Beach, Fl. USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page