RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » On board upgrade questions

Author Topic: On board upgrade questions
PaulB
Member # 4258

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for PaulB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Next Friday, I will be taking a trip on the Coast Starlight from LA-Emeryville to have one of the last steak dinners I will have on Amtrak [Frown]

I've never traveled in a Parlour car, so now is a good time to do that as well. What I plan to do is book coach, and look at the consist when I'm in LA. If there is a Parlour car, then I'll upgrade on board.

I assume that if I upgrade near, say, Santa Barbara, then I'll only get charged the room rate from SBA-EMY, and not from LA-EMY.

Also, how can I get Guest Rewards points for the upgrade? Do I mail in the conductor's receipt?

I've never bought a ticket onboard, let alone upgraded [Wink]

Posts: 286 | From: Knee deep in the retention tank | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rachsewell
Member # 4339

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rachsewell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was wondering the same thing...
Posts: 20 | From: Tacoma, WA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You might want to disembark at Jack London Square and spend the night at the Jack London Inn while you're at it. Their shuttle driver told me yesterday that within two years the hotel would be demolished and replaced with 17-story luxary condominium.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David--

I think your tongue might have been in your cheek on this one.

To be serious, though, the Best Western Inn on the Square about a block further up Broadway is only a couple of dollars more and we have had two very pleasant stays there in the past year. They also give you a $2.50 voucher per guest for the Buttercup Cafe that is part of the motel. Very good food and always crowded.

I can also recommend "Hahn's Hibachi" for a relatively inexpensive, filling Korean meal. It's right across from the Jack London Inn and the big bookstore (Barnes and Noble??).

Frank in cool and soon to be dark SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sbalax:
David--

I think your tongue might have been in your cheek on this one.

To be serious, though, the Best Western Inn on the Square about a block further up Broadway is only a couple of dollars more and we have had two very pleasant stays there in the past year. They also give you a $2.50 voucher per guest for the Buttercup Cafe that is part of the motel. Very good food and always crowded.

I can also recommend "Hahn's Hibachi" for a relatively inexpensive, filling Korean meal. It's right across from the Jack London Inn and the big bookstore (Barnes and Noble??).

Frank in cool and soon to be dark SBA

Hi Frank,

Only slightly tongue in cheek. I stayed at the Jack London Inn last Thursday and found it to be getting a little worn around the edges......frayed carpet, dirty windows, poor HVAC system, etc., etc.

The next morning I used their shuttle to the Oakland Airport and asked the driver if the owners were planning to renovate and he said that no, they planned to demolish to make way for luxary condominiums.....and he specified 17-stories as if he had seen the drawings.

The Best Western will probably become my hotel of choice if I'm ever looking for lodging at Jack London Square again.......but I really, really like the Vagabond Inn in Sacramento so that's probably my first choice next time I'm getting off a train in California.

--------------------
David Pressley

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David--

I had read your report on the other string about the Jack London Inn. It doesn't surprise me that it's going to be torn down. There is a lot of development going on in that area. Oh, I also forgot to mention the huge BevMo (Beverages and More) store near both the Jack London and the Best Western. Great selection of wines and other liquor and also some great deli items.

I agree with you about the Vagabond in SAC. Perfect location and very good accomodation, especially in the rooms that have been redone. (That's probably all of them now. It's been a year since we stayed there.)

Frank in cloudy, soon to be wet, SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amtrak207
Member # 1307

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtrak207     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lucky for you, the CS sleepers aren't sold out as of yet, but you can book it as-is for $80 or so. I'm not sure what the price for a room for a night is on-board, but be prepared to pay cash for it. I've never done this. Huge surprise, but every time I've traveled on the Lakeshore and asked, the sleepers have been booked for the last two months due to fine quality track.
Posts: 391 | From: Schenectady | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Now if Paul takes a friend, that $80.00 roomette would include steak for two (@ $21.00 each) in addition to a pair of lunches (about $9.00 each). Toss in a desert for each at both lunch and dinner and that $80.00 roomette has just paid for itself in complimentary meals.

DO IT. Call up and BOOK the roomette. Take a friend along for the trip.

Enjoy.

--------------------
David Pressley

Amtrak207
Member # 1307

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtrak207     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's pretty rare. A sleeper that pays for itself! LSL sleepers average $350 a night and they only pay for themselves if you can't sleep upright in a coach seat while you almost go airborne over rough track and then freak out when you hear ballast pelting the underside of the car. True story. Scared the crap out of me. Huge bump between Cleveland and Toledo, then ballast hitting the underside of the car. I got away from the window real fast.
Posts: 391 | From: Schenectady | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page