RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Coast Starlight Trip

Author Topic: Coast Starlight Trip
PaulB
Member # 4258

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted      Profile for PaulB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yesterday (Friday) I left for my trip from LA to Emeryville on the Coast Starlight. I was originally booked coach, but upgraded to a roomette. Best $75 I ever spent!

We had a real Parlour car in the consist-hence the reason I upgraded. The Parlour attendant was Richard. Even though this was my first Parlour car trip, I could tell he is one of the best-if not the best-attendant!

They put me in car 1432, which is right behind the transition dorm. When Richard saw me coming through hauling my bags, he offered to call the 1432 attendant to the Parlour car to take some of my bags. He then offered me a drink while I was waiting.
After I put my bags in my room, I headed to lunch. The Coast Starlight is still on the old menu. I had an Angus burger with cheese, finished with strawberry cheesecake.
After that it was off to the Parlour. Richard gave a talk about the ranches, beaches, and Vandenburg AFB. The man is INCREDIBLE-he's a walking encyclopedia! He did this all off the top of his head, from his own research and experience. I've been on "Trails and Rails" programs where all they do is read off a script-and do not put feeling or enthusiasm into the presentation. Richard sure did both!
After San Luis Obispo came wine tasting. Again Richard did an excellent presentation. We had 2 whites and 1 red (a Pinot). There was plenty of cheese and crackers for seconds.
Almost immediately after wine tasting came the first call for dinner. At 5:45 I went to the diner. I had one of my last steaks on Amtrak that I will have (for now) [Frown] It was a ribeye. We dined while passing green hills with grazing cattle. We also met #11 about 30 minutes south of Salinas.
After dinner, I spent most of the time in the Parlour car, in the swivel easy chairs, conversing with other passengers and Richard. At Oakland Jack London, I packed up my things and got ready to disembark.

We were on time into Emeryville, and on time or early into all stops.

I slept at the Sheraton 4 points. After checking out, I hopped on a Capitol Corridor to Oakland Coliseum station, got an AirBART to OAK, then took Southwest back to LAX. Then, a Flyaway shuttle to Union Station, and finally a Surfliner back to Fullerton.

What a culture shock flying was for me! Just yesterday, I was lounging in the Parlour car with wine in my glass. Today I had to wait in line, take off my shoes and empty my pockets into a bin, then wait in another line to get crammed into an aluminum tube. At least the flight was short.

Posts: 286 | From: Knee deep in the retention tank | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rY.
Member # 3528

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rY.   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Probably good that you didn't return on the Starlight. I boarded San Joaquin #704 in Sacramento for a 4:25pm departure this afternoon. We departed 10 minutes late to take on passengers from a the South-bound Starlight, which rolled in sortly after I settled into my seat!!! (On departing, I noticed that there was a regular sightseer filling in for the Parlour Car! too-- that's adding insult to injury for those folks if you ask me!)

But, glad you got Richard-- isn't he amazing? The man needs a trophy or something!!

Posts: 108 | From: Culver City, CA, US | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Room Service
Member # 2405

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Room Service     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too have to say that Richard is most excellent. He obviously takes great pride in what he does. I had the pleasure of him hosting in the Parlour car from LAX all the way to Seattle. They really should let his audio be avalible in the other lounge as well. His narration is far superior to the alternative.

He also shared with us a personal copy of a classic 20 minute promotional film featuring the "Coast Daylight" from LAX to San Fransisco. We watched this in the theater downstairs. It was quite entertaining! Every lady was wearing a hat.

Richard is the best. On my return trip the Parlour car was pretty much silent and the wine was just poured with no flair. No wine lesson like Richard had shared with us. He really makes taking that train an event.

Posts: 218 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PaulB
Member # 4258

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for PaulB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Got the pics up, enjoy!

http://paul.internetforall.com

Go to the "Coast Starlight" gallery link near the bottom of the page.

Posts: 286 | From: Knee deep in the retention tank | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Paul, great pictures. I've never had Richard in the Parlour Car. Maybe someday.

Loved the pictures. I'm surprised the train had a refurbished sightseer lounge. I thought those were only on the Empire Builder. It is a great improvement.

On your first shot of the Parlour car, what is the thing atop the magazine stand at the top of the stairs, which is draped with a white tablecloth? That is not normal!

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Room Service
Member # 2405

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Room Service     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's Richard's PA system. He plays pleasant music on it during wine tasting too.
Posts: 218 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
transient
Member # 3682

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for transient     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now that is a great slide show! I don't know if we will ever get to ride the Coast Starlight and so your pics will compensate for now. Thanks, Paul!
Posts: 5 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great pictures Paul, makes me sad we did not have a Parlour car on our trip.
Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page