RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Scenery on the Cardinal

Author Topic: Scenery on the Cardinal
Judy
Member # 942

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Judy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm taking the Hiawatha/Cardinal from Milwaukee to Prince, WV in August. I know the scenery after Charleston is supposed to be very nice. Will I have seen most of the best part by the time I get off at Prince, or will I miss something spectacular? I have never been to West Virginia (or anywhere in the Smokies?, Blue Ridge? whatever that area is called).
Posts: 25 | From: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The scenery all through West Virginia and Virginia on the Cardinal is beautiful -- of course Prince is right in the middle of the New River Gorge, but if you are traveling eastbound from Charleston, you will pass beneath the New River Gorge bridge at Fayetteville before you get to Prince. Were you to continue eastward past Prince, you would continue to see some very nice scenery all the way into Virginia. The Cardinal has many great views of the Blue Ridge Mtns in western Virginia between Clifton Forge and Charlottesville, and you pass through the area in daylight going both directions.

Also, the Cardinal uses the bi-level Superliner equipment with a Sightseer lounge, which you will enjoy the scenery from (of course, the last time I rode the Cardinal, which was back in 1998, the Sightseer Lounge was not running on the day I rode!)

Enjoy your trip!

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CarterB
Member # 1439

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CarterB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Eastbound Cardinal is indeed a scenic trip. Westbound, the best parts are after dark. If you are returning to Milw via train, I would suggest you head on East from Prince to Washington DC. then take the Capitol Ltd. back to Chgo. You would see all the rest of the Cardinal trip as well as very nice scenery and ride on the Capitol Ltd. heading back.
Posts: 53 | From: Mahwah, NJ, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page