RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » advice on Seattle

Author Topic: advice on Seattle
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Part of my upcoming NW/Alaska trip includes the Empire Builder to Seattle. I'm booked at Pioneer Square per advice here, and that seems to be pretty close to the Amtrak station. But some of what I'm reading suggests the area in between is a little rundown . . . My question: Should I consider walking when I get in if my luggage isn't too heavy? Is it OK for a female to walk alone in that area, at least in the daytime?

Also, any input on the International District aka Chinatown--is that OK to walk to? OK to walk in?

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Get off the Empire Builder walk up to the street. Hang a right go past Union Station and cross the street. Take the Waterfront Trolley to where it starts along the Harbor and get off at the first stop there. Pioneer Squaue Hotel is a short block north.

I hope this helps,

http://www.trainweb.org/chris

Chris

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Room Service
Member # 2405

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Room Service     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Virtually walk the route using Google Earth. The images are quite clear. Familiarize yourslef with your trek ahead of time. Google Earth
 -

Just enter the address you're interested in.

The Monorail may be running soon!

Posts: 218 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow.

This Google Earth site looks like a remarkable and addictive internet tool. My yard may not get mowed today!

As for the Pioneer Square area, I would second Chris's suggestion that you catch the trolley. The area you would otherwise be walking through has an attractive park adjacent to a large soup kitchen. That area is pretty thick with homeless panhandlers. Chinatown substantially less so.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Adams
Member # 1177

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Adams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's no trolley, just a bus.
Posts: 33 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The waterfront trolley in Seattle terminates a block or two east of the old Union Station. Add a block to get in and out of King Street Station but it's still less than five minutes walking. This terminus is also right at the edge of Chinatown.

Yes, transit directly from King Street Station is a bus but with a short walk there is a Heritage Trolley available. Tracks, overhead wires, the whole nine yards.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will not take a bus or trolley with luggage; it's too much hassle. (Walking, OTOH, isn't a problem as the luggage has wheels.) I guess I will just take a taxi. Thanks!
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sojourner - I've stayed at Pioneer Square Hotel several times. It is close to King Street Station, but I always take a taxi -- it's a relatively short ride, and will only cost a couple dollars.

Parts of Seattle can get bad, especially if your train arrives late at night (I forgot, are you taking the CS or the EB to Seattle?)

--Rich K

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charles Reuben
Member # 2263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles Reuben   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I was in Seattle (enroute to Vancouver B.C.) I stayed at some sleezy hostel right above the waterfront. I took a taxi to the hostel from the Amtrak station. It seems there are millions of taxis waiting out front.

It cost me about $5 to get to where I was going. Although I could probably have walked, I'm glad I took a cab because the terrain was rather hilly and I had a lot of bags.

Also, the neighborhood, looks kinda tough.

--------------------
Please visit "Chucksville" at http://www.chucksville.com and sign my guestbook!

Posts: 324 | From: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeeCT
Member # 3241

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeeCT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sojourner -- am currently in Seattle and would suggest taking a taxi -- especially if arriving after dark. I am at a downtown hotel and it cost $5.30 (plus tip) for taxi to here.
Posts: 460 | From: North Central CT | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wigwagfan
Member # 664

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for wigwagfan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Waterfront Streetcar is not in operation.

http://transit.metrokc.gov/tops/bus/waterfront_streetcar.html

Pioneer Square is not that bad in daylight hours, but you may want to watch your back when the sun sets - and watch your belongings at all hours. I've walked through the area with no problems at all.

Posts: 15 | From: Kalispell, MT - USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Google Earth is fun to play with but not all that exact. I put in my address and it showed a location a block away of the correct location. Does anyone know how often this is updated?

Frank in cloudy SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Room Service:
Virtually walk the route using Google Earth. The images are quite clear. Familiarize yourslef with your trek ahead of time. Google Earth
 -

Just enter the address you're interested in.

When is it coming, will be running by July?
Posts: 989 | From: DIAMOND BAR CA. U.S. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wigwagfan
Member # 664

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for wigwagfan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JONATHON:

When is it coming, will be running by July? [/QB][/QUOTE]

If you are thinking of using the Monorail as an alternative to a taxi - forget it.

First of all, the Monorail is a significant distance from King Street Station. (It's a hearty walk, but not one I'd eagerly recommend with more than a small wheeled suitcase.)

Secondly, it's expensive by mass-transit means, forces you to navigate a shopping mall (Westlake Center) with that same luggage, and then you'll have to take a long walk to whatever hotel you are staying at at Seattle Center. You're still better off taking a taxi - but at least the Seattle Center hotels tend to be a little less expensive than the downtown hotels.

If you choose that option - the monorail is a fun ride, but if you are making the trip back and forth downtown, get to know a bus line, because the Monorail will cost you about $4 or $5 each round trip - and no, the Monorail is not part of Metro, and therefore there is no such thing as a "transfer".

Posts: 15 | From: Kalispell, MT - USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmwnc1959
Member # 2803

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmwnc1959     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sojourner:
Part of my upcoming NW/Alaska trip includes the Empire Builder to Seattle.

Im sure you've researched your journey, but I thought this 'Empire Builder' link was interesting...

http://snow.prohosting.com/usarail/empirebuilder.htm

..and the 'Cascades' (my #1 Favorite Amtrak train anywhere) if you choose to do a side trip...

http://snow.prohosting.com/usarail/cascades.htm

Posts: 497 | From: Clarksburg, West Virginia | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting links. Thanks for posting them!

Frank in overcast SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rtabern
Member # 4306

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rtabern   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
QUICK QUESTION ABOUT SEATTLE!

In less than 2 weeks I am taking the Empire Builder from Chicago to Seattle. My mother and I are going to Alaska too. Our plan was to catch a cab from the station to the airport and head off to Fairbanks.

But, Alaska Airlines changed our flight time recently and it will give us 3-4 hours to explore Seattle. We're hoping to head up to the Space Needle on the above mentioned bus/trolley.

The question is... can we store our bags once we arrive in Seattle... let's say from 10:20AM arrival to maybe when we come back around 3-4PM?

Is there any cost?

(we're going sleeper)

Posts: 100 | From: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmwnc1959
Member # 2803

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmwnc1959     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rtabern:
The question is... can we store our bags until when we come back around 3-4PM?

I stayed in Seattle for a month living downtown at a hostel 1 block from Pike Place Market. One piece of advice if you havent been to Seattle before...

Watch out for the heavy afternoon inter-city traffic and southbound P.M. rush hour traffic and take that heavily into consideration when determining a time to head back to the airport!

It can be a very congested 13 miles! [Eek!]

Posts: 497 | From: Clarksburg, West Virginia | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page