RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Albany station and Lakeshore Ltd. food

Author Topic: Albany station and Lakeshore Ltd. food
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know if there are any "Burger King or better" food concessions inside (or immediately outside) the Amtrak station at Albany, New York?

And what are your experiences with the Lakeshore Limited's dining and snack cars -- in terms of food, prices, and service?

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
westshore
Member # 1435

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for westshore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a small restaurant in the Amtrak station that is open approximately from 7am-7pm. The food is better than Burger King (it's made to order) but niot great. In the immediate vicinity of the station there is really nothing other than a local bar, as the surroundings are a poor and old neighborhood.

Food opinion aboard the LSL: snack bar is typical Amtrak snack food. The diner has variable food...with the fish dish usually being pretty good, the strak passable, the salad ok, and occasionally, a special creation of the chef. Breakfasts are the best meal of the trip, with bacon/sauage and eggs, French toast, etc. Prices are fair, given the huge costs of running a mobile restaurant. My last trip on the LSL was in mid-December and the food experience was decent.

------------------
Kevin

Posts: 1 | From: Canton, MA USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lakeshorelimited
Member # 576

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lakeshorelimited     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll second what Westshore said. The current station only has the "Renn Station" restaurant (It's in Rennselaer, NY ha ha) I have had a meal there before, but it was a while ago. The food is better than burger king, but they may be closed or closing when the LSL pulls in if you're going West.

I had dinner in the LSL back in late February, and the food was quite good. I had the pork chops which were great. Lots of vegetables and pork, so I felt that I got my money's worth. The ride in the Heritage diner alone is worth having a meal in there. Besides, you won't have much else to do, as the sun will have set by then, and there won't be any scenary.

Let me also point out, that if you are travelling in late summer (July, August) the new station MIGHT be open, if everything continues as scheduled. That's a big "if." The new station has more room for retail shops, so maybe there will be another burger king like establishment?

So eat on the train or in the station. Don't venture out to the neighborhood at night, because there's no real point.

Posts: 140 | From: Albany, NY | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page