RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » California Zephyr and High Altitude

Author Topic: California Zephyr and High Altitude
patbl
Member # 4303

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for patbl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know about the affects of the Rocky Mountain altitude on asthma? I plan to ride the Zephyr straight through from Chicago to Emeryville next month. However, this has been a really bad asthma season for me and any information or suggestions will be helpful.

Thanks,
Pat

Posts: 15 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blancoj
Member # 2918

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for blancoj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know how the altitude affects asthma sufferers, but I use supplemental oxygen full time and when I rode the CZ from Emeryville to Denver, I did not need to adjust my liter flow during the train trip.

Denver was my final destination, so once I got off the train and started being active, I had to increase my oxygen by one liter until my lungs adapted to the altitude.

You will probably be fine, but it might be worth a phone call to your doctor just to be sure.

Have fun!

Posts: 26 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been on the Zephyr 4 times now and have yet to see somebody suffering from high altitude. However, it does happen, albeit rarely. My brother was on one of my trips who is a severe asthma sufferer - he didn't experience any problems whatsoever. The train only reaches around 7,000ft which is about the same pressure as the inside of an aircraft cabin at cruising altitude.

Geoff M.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought the Moffat tunnel is 9000 ft. I have a problem at altitudes over 8500 and have had no problems on the Zepher. I would definitely check with your Dr. for any suggestions he/she may have.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm, you're right! 9,253 feet, 9,094 feet, or 9,293 feet, depending on which random Google figure you believe. Still, no problems for most people.

Now, 12,000 feet up in the Andes is something else. Breathtaking - literally.

Geoff M.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just checked my old route guide and they say 9,239ft.. It is 6.2 miles long. I have a route guide fro all the trains including the ones no longer running. they are so interesting.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was on the CZ westbound in mid-April and woke up with a cold and horribly congested in Denver. The ride through the Rockies could have been more comfortable for me but the breathing issues I was having were more cold related rather than altitude.....I've ridden the route with no difficulty in the past. That stop in Grand Junction where they have the little store trackside was so appreciated though. I was able to buy some over the counter medicine and relieve my symptoms.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
patbl
Member # 4303

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for patbl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for all the suggestions and info. One piece of advice I got from the MD was to keep hydrated if I go. I have read about some rooms being warm and some cold. Any way to increase my chances of getting a cold room to reduce the loss of fluid?

Thanks

Posts: 15 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Assuming everything is working correctly, you can control the temperature of your own room with the thermostat (for heat) or by adjusting the overhead A/C vents for cooling.

On our trip in 2000, however, the A/C failed in most of the rooms in our car. It still worked in the hall, so it was bearable, but not cool.

It isn't just the temperature that dries you out, even cool dry air can do it. Take advantage of the complimentary juices and bottled water. Carry a few sodas if you prefer that.

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
re the water: the Zepher often seemed to run out of bottled water so I always carry several bottles in my carry on. The regular water on the trains is ok to drink but it is like drinking dish water to me. My Dr. told me that another advantage to staying hydrated is that it will keep your ankles from swelling. She said if you wait until you are thirsty it's too late . Just "sip' all day. She was so right.
patbl
Member # 4303

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for patbl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you everyone. Great advice! I'll let you know how the trip went. I leave at the end of June.

:-)
Patbl

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page