RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Amtrak California

Author Topic: Amtrak California
BCAmtrak1
Member # 148

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for BCAmtrak1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, Is Amtrak going to ever run Horizonliners thast used to be on most state supproted trains(San Joaquins,Capitols,and San Diegans) when moe than one set of California equipment is down. I certainly liked their paint on the outside of each car, but I am not certain of the newer paint fouind on most newer California cars and locomotives. I know they use the Horizonliners in the Chicago area, but I kind of think they should keep a few sets of Horizonliners to help with overcrowding on the California and Pacific Surfliner cars. Let me know
BCAmtrak1@AOL.com

Posts: 20 | From: Manteca CA< USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GP25
Member # 158

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for GP25   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amtrak may or will keep the Horizon and the Amfleet in LA. But Amtrak can always get Superliners Cars for the Surfliner Route. When they have a lot of people they Sometimes use the California Cars and Superliner Cars with the Surfliner Cars. But sometimes they do throw in a Horizon/Amfleet Train when the Surfliner Cars are down for Maintaince work. But the Problem with the Amfleet and the Horizons is. It is hard to load they. They Surfliners have easy Loading and detraining. All Doors Open. With the Horizon and Amfleet. Not all Doors open and that can take time. And if you have a Disable, Senior and/or a wheelchair bound person. That can kill a Trains Schedule big time. And Not all Stations along the Pacific Surfliner Route have a Station with a Ticket Agent and full Fac. Like at the Burbank Airport Amtrak Station (Burbank,CA). There is just a platform with a few Benches. This Station has Wheelchair Accessibility. But the Amtrak and Horzion Do Not have a Wheelchair Lift Mounted to the Car or a portable Lift. And if they Train is Full with Standing Room only. Horizon and Amfleet will not get the Job done fast. Dont get me Wrong. I love the old San Diegan Fleet. I miss them specially the Dome Cars they Run. But At the in of April All the old Cars with be replaced with all Surfliner Cars. But maybe Amtrak with used the old Cars for a new Route on the West Coast. Amtrak was or is trying to Start up Service Los Angeles-San Francisco (The Daylight) Route. And with the Old cars being freed up. Anyway Oh And Amtrak is repainting some F40s to the Surfliner Colors. Units 415 and 381 are already or being painted. Maybe more units will be in the Surfliner Colors.
Posts: 40 | From: Tarzana, CA-USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BCAmtrak1
Member # 148

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for BCAmtrak1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about the San Joquins and Capitol Cooridor Services?
Posts: 20 | From: Manteca CA< USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reggierail
Member # 26

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for reggierail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
San Joaquin service is entirely California cars as is the Capitol service. On rare occasions I have seen both Amfleet & horizon cars on these trains when other equipment is not available. This is becoming rare as I haven't seen any Horizon cars for a long time. Reggie(from Bakersfield, on the route of the San Joaquins)

------------------

Posts: 462 | From: Bakersfield Ca., 93312 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page