RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Lounge Car Conversion?

Author Topic: Lounge Car Conversion?
rtabern
Member # 4306

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rtabern   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was on the Texas Eagle this weekend between Springfield and Chicago. For the first time, I saw one of the 'newer' lounge cars on the Texas Eagle (22 which arrived into Chicago 5/20) which also becomes 59 arriving into New Orleans 5/21.

It was 33027 by the way.

Anyhow, with the proposed combined diner/lounge idea... are they going to rip apart these new lounge cars that were just re-vamped so they can severe food? Seems like a big waste? Or are they going to keep them like they are and convert just the older ones (with the brown and orange sceme going). That would make more sense money wise.

However, the diner was at capacity on Saturday for lunch and the lounge car was also very crowded. I couldn't imagine them running a combined diner/lounge! Jeez!

Posts: 100 | From: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chaslett
Member # 1012

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for chaslett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will be on the Texas Eagle next month.
How does the dining car service work? Do they take reservations?

Posts: 54 | From: Chagrin Falls, OH, USA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PaulB
Member # 4258

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for PaulB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that new lounge configuration, with 8 tables at one end of the lounge, was started for the Empire Builder. They then continued refurbishing other lounges. I've seen and ridden in them on the Coast Starlight, Southwest Chief, and Sunset Limited.

From what I've heard, this new configuration was planned and executed before "Diner Lite" was thought up. The tables upstairs are simply to provide more table spaces for families and groups.

I would think that the Superliner I's (the brown interior) are the choice for conversion to Diner Lite cars.

Posts: 286 | From: Knee deep in the retention tank | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PaulB
Member # 4258

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for PaulB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by chaslett:
I will be on the Texas Eagle next month.
How does the dining car service work? Do they take reservations?

What is currently offered on most long distance trains is Simplified Dining. Reservations are now offered for breakfast, lunch, and dinner in 15-minute increments. I assume this is to smooth out operations for the single cook in the kitchen.
Posts: 286 | From: Knee deep in the retention tank | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jp1822
Member # 2596

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jp1822     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Take advantage of the separate diner and Sightseer Car while you can - b/c that's what's supposed to happen. Instead of two cars, you'll just have one - combination of diner and lounge. I don't know which cars they are going to convert (Superliner I or II), but the current modifications of adding table space to the upper level of the Sightseer Car is conducive to serving food on. Remove the bar area that I think is next to the tables and you've got the dumb waiter to transport food from upper to lower level! I would think these cars could see additional modifications, apart from what they've already received, to be a combination diner/lounge.

I just hope that what every modifications are done to roll out the final version of the dining program that will save all this money (hah!) - Diner Lite etc. - are done on a reversable basis so if it flops and Amtrak has to go back to the old way of serving meals, it won't be too much trouble.

Posts: 337 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PaulB:
I think that new lounge configuration, with 8 tables at one end of the lounge, was started for the Empire Builder. They then continued refurbishing other lounges. I've seen and ridden in them on the Coast Starlight, Southwest Chief, and Sunset Limited.

From what I've heard, this new configuration was planned and executed before "Diner Lite" was thought up. The tables upstairs are simply to provide more table spaces for families and groups.

I would think that the Superliner I's (the brown interior) are the choice for conversion to Diner Lite cars.

I first saw one of these lounges with the 8 tables in one end on the Auto-Train in December 2004. I assumed that this was done on the Auto-Train only to increase sit-down dining capacity if the adjacent diner overflowed. Apparantly these cars are showing up in other places though.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PaulB
Member # 4258

Member Rated:
Yes, before the upgrade of the Empire Builder, there were refurbished lounges "let loose" on the system.
PaulB
Member # 4258

Member Rated:
It's way too early to tell exactly how the new diner/lounges will look like, but this is one idea that was brought out. Booth tables will be installed on the lower level for complete meal service. The upper level will have a snack bar. That way you do not need a dumbwaiter.
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to an article in Trains (March issue, I think), only Superliner I lounges and diners will be converted to diner/lounge combos, and will be limted to trains designated as "basic service" trains. Superliner II lounges and diners will remain single-purpose cars and be assigned to "full service" trains. Which trains will be which are yet to be determined.
Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page