RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Railroad.net refugees register here (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Railroad.net refugees register here
CarterB
Member # 1439

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for CarterB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's continue our discussions on various topics . Try to resurrect strings of particular interest. Use the light bulb icon to designate you are from railroad.net
Posts: 53 | From: Mahwah, NJ, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe they're wiping out the "bad" threads on the forums, or maybe they're changing everything. They say that the forums are "temporarily closed" though.
Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CarterB
Member # 1439

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CarterB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope it reopens, but earlier today, I got an email from one of the regulars there stating that the webmaster may have given up in disgust over some of the "antics".
Posts: 53 | From: Mahwah, NJ, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was wondering where the sudden infusion of new members was coming from. Welcome. But I would suggest you reserve the light bulb for its original purpose, to indicate a new, fresh idea. You can use the custom signature feature to identify yourselves to other railroad.net members.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Ray
Member # 1441

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for Sir Ray     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm going with the sad purple face as my icon, 'cause railroad.net being down is a big PITA.
Anyway, railroad.net isn't the only board down - check out this message from Subtalk - quite interesting:

http://www.nycsubway.org/about/talks.html

(Arrgg! - the UBB encoding works OK, but I really miss preview!)

[This message has been edited by Sir Ray (edited 03-19-2002).]

Posts: 11 | From: Lynbrook, NY, US | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
locomotiveguy
Member # 1445

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for locomotiveguy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That works for me. I'll play along a while.
Posts: 13 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CarterB
Member # 1439

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CarterB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Post your "most interested in" forum that you would like added here, so I can pass our collective interests to the moderator. We have already added E/L, NY, and NJ forums. Which ones would you like carried over from railroad.net?
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the Amtrak forum was the one I visited most over there, and I also checked into the BNSF forum from time to time.
Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ken Ruben
Member # 656

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for Ken Ruben     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw mention of the railroad.net problem on Trainorders.com and since I am registered here also, I will follow-up with my two favorites on railroad.net: Amtrak and the Santa Fe Forum.

I look forward to any follow-ups to this post.

Posts: 16 | From: Culver City, CA, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
locomotiveguy
Member # 1445

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for locomotiveguy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All I looked at was EMD and Amtrak. So what happened to Railroad.net anyway?
Posts: 13 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Ray
Member # 1441

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for Sir Ray     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John may be up to something, looks like the index page was removed today, and so the directories are visible.
Posts: 11 | From: Lynbrook, NY, US | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mechtech
Member # 1459

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for mechtech     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I visited the Amtrak forum most often and sometimes NYC, PRR and PC forums.
I hope railroad.net will reopen soon!

Posts: 9 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NorTex
Member # 1460

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for NorTex     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Railroad.net folks. It took me awhile to find this place. Trainorders finally posted it. I was mainly interested in the Amtrak forum. My main concern is a GOOD nationwide rail passenger service, whether its called Amtrak or not.

Posts: 12 | From: Bowie, Texas, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CNJ
Member # 1465

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for CNJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Earlier this afternoon, I had attempted to go into railroad.net...It seems now that the entire site is down.

Thats a real shame....

This site seems to be fairly user friendly....Hello to any of the old railroad.net people here.....

Regards....

Posts: 27 | From: San Antonio, TX. | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ken V
Member # 1466

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken V     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The first thing that brought me to railroad.net were the forums there on Canadian subjects (VIA/CN/CP). After a while I also became involved in the Amtrak forum (where the action is)and the EMD forum.

A forum on Canadian topics here would be nice to have.

Posts: 149 | From: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Ray
Member # 1441

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sir Ray     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, perhaps there's some good news - if you go to the railroad.net homepage, there's a message indicating that they are updating it (and it will be ready 'any day now').
My concern is what it will look like when their done...

JACSmith38
Member # 1467

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for JACSmith38     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree that there should be a Canadian forum. I regularly used the VIA/CP forums there. I hope the site comes back for this reason. Today when I tried to access the railroad.net site, I got a message that the server could not be found at all.
Posts: 1 | From: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wanted to say thanks to the TrainWeb staff for hosting all the new members, and putting up with our arguments on several threads.
CNJ
Member # 1465

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for CNJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CarterB:
Post your "most interested in" forum that you would like added here, so I can pass our collective interests to the moderator. We have already added E/L, NY, and NJ forums. Which ones would you like carried over from railroad.net?

I would very much like the Jersey Central Forum carried over as well please!

Posts: 27 | From: San Antonio, TX. | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I should point out that we already have forums which would cover the designated interests, albeit under different names. Canadian trains can easily be covered under the "travel" forum and New Jersey can be accomodated under the existing (and thus far underutilized) "commuter trains" forum.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
irishchieftain
Member # 1473

Icon 9 posted      Profile for irishchieftain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suspect that Railroad.net's server was plagued with that virus that was sending out mass e-mailings with attachments, using posted e-mail addresses (even fake ones) in the "from" field. That may be but one of the factors in its being closed at present.

Another may be (and may God above forgive me for invoking the name) Crazy Nip...

Too bad—I always found Railroad.net's forums very entertaining and informative. I did get very tired of its Amtrak forum, what with the combative stance of many posters there. I realize that Amtrak is a very sore point among many fans of passenger rail, and that the opinions of the detractors clash sometimes with those of its proponents...but things did get way out of hand on both sides. I do, however, have a positive outlook for this Amtrak forum, based on the genial atmosphere I've observed thus far. Outlook is positive...

Posts: 566 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ken V
Member # 1466

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Ken V     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Toy,

I beg to disagree. Although Canadian topics may be addressed in other areas such as Travel or International, there is potentially a large audience for a strictly Canadian subject forum. Railroad.net found a demand for at least four such forums. Don't discard other nations or regions.

My feelings are that the International Forum (non-U.S.) could easily be split between numerous areas such as the UK, northern Europe, Asia, Australia, and others.

Mr. Helfner (a.k.a. IrishChieftain)

I am in complete agreement with your comments.

------------------
Ken V

[This message has been edited by Ken V (edited 03-24-2002).]

Posts: 149 | From: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, we ALL miss Crazy Nip...
irishchieftain
Member # 1473

Icon 1 posted      Profile for irishchieftain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Easy there, Eric—we don't want the proverb of speaking of the devil and be sure of him appearing to apply in this case...:-P
Posts: 566 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
locomotiveguy
Member # 1445

Rate Member
Where else could everyone have gone? I don't think many of us are here. I'm not paying train orders to do this.
CarterB
Member # 1439

Rate Member
Hang in there, Locomotive Guy, for now, this is at least a place where we can keep in touch and post. Paying Trainorders is NOT an option for me either.
CNJ
Member # 1465

Rate Member
Well give it some time....Word will slowly get around and folks will make their way here.........

I like it so far....very user friendly.....

NorTex
Member # 1460

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for NorTex     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like it here. It seems to be a less combative atmosphere, maybe that's just because "you know who" hasn't shown up. On the other hand there aren't as many posts or participants. Maybe it will pick up.
Posts: 12 | From: Bowie, Texas, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B&M7
Member # 1489

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for B&M7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like you know who and a few others really screwed the rest of us and good with their toxic postings.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ken V
Member # 1466

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Ken V     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A new forum has opened up at railfan.net. Some of the folks from railroad.net have gone there (including you-know-who who was promptly bounced). For me...I like things here.
irishchieftain
Member # 1473

Icon 1 posted      Profile for irishchieftain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by NorTex:
maybe that's just because "you know who" hasn't shown up

That's reminiscent of the Harry Potter books, where no-one spoke the evil sorceror Voldemort's name (callng him "You-know-who" instead) :-P

Plenty of other things to discuss here, though...

Sir Ray
Member # 1441

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Sir Ray     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a railroad.net update: they have a FAQ posted on their site http://www.railroad.net/faq .
The News seems fairly good, although a definite time has not been selected to go live. (and yes, I do feel a bit like a traitor posting this message on this board - Sorry, but thanks for your bandwidth)
I choose the 'storyboi' icon [a long story from another board] to say 'RA!'

jamshid
Member # 1516

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for jamshid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
condolences!
I used to read EMD and GE Forums in Railroad.net.
there aren't an Locomotive title here and there wich could compareable to Railroad.net.
I wish Railroad.net staff could overcome problems ASAP.

Posts: 10 | From: Tehran IRAN | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jamshid
Member # 1516

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for jamshid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
condolences!
I used to read EMD and GE Forums in Railroad.net.
there aren't an Locomotive title here and there wich could compareable to Railroad.net.
I wish Railroad.net staff could overcome problems ASAP.

Posts: 10 | From: Tehran IRAN | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Something_Corporate
Member # 1536

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Something_Corporate   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wanna identify yourself here?

I know Alan is here
Kim?

(for the record, this is Guy Malone signing in)

------------------
homer:NO T.V. AND NO BEER MAKE HOMER SOMETHING SOMETHING
marge:GO CRAZY?
homer: DON'T MIND IF I DO! AAH! OEW!

Posts: 2 | From: NY,NY,US | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CarterB
Member # 1439

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for CarterB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
UPDATE ON RAILROAD.NET!!!
This from the new owner:

"Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2002 19:38:47 -0500
Subject: Update

We have been working diligently to get the new site up and running as soon
as possible.

The new forums are about 50% complete, as is the user registration system.
A few of you have submitted articles...keep them coming! Other new features
are also in the works, including an Event calendar and a link database. In
addition, we are drafting important documents like our Privacy Policy.

It will be about another week or two of development and testing before a
beta site will be online. Our goal is to build a robust, secure, and useful
railroading information resource and community."

JA
Member # 1575

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for JA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also came from the railroad.net forums. It's really strange how my two best sites go down at the same time.

I'm glad for the opportunity to keep things going. It'll be good to get rolling again here.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
locomotiveguy
Member # 1445

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for locomotiveguy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We've got a beta site 90% built. We're still testing everything and adding new content, but we should be ready this week. We are planning to launch the site on May 1.

We're extremely excited about this project and look forward to all of you enjoying the new Railroad.net! Just a few more days...

Michael Roque
Technical Services of New York
Web Design - Web Hosting - On-Site Technical Support http://www.tsny.com

Ken V
Member # 1466

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken V     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[original link no longer valid]

New and Improved
Returning in May

[This message has been edited by Ken V (edited 10-23-2004).]

Sir Ray
Member # 1441

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sir Ray     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's May...
Donde esta?

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page