RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » question about Guest Rewards Credit card

Author Topic: question about Guest Rewards Credit card
sutton
Member # 1612

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All,
In an attempt to get more points, I want to sign up for the Guest Rewards credit card. One question: do we get points for any purchases? Food included? Gasoline? Utility bill payments--or is it exclusively retail stuff from the mall or wherever? Thanks for letting me know.

Posts: 171 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zephyr
Member # 1651

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zephyr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep-Point per buck spent on anything (2 points per buck spent on Amtrak tickets).

If you end up getting the Guest Reward Card, consider loaning it to my wife for a while. In no time, you'll have enough points to be riding the rails in style for miles and miles.

(Just kidding, Sweet Heart. Gee, can I do dishes tonight. Please?).

Posts: 445 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The MBNA Guest Rewards credit card pays you 1 guest reward point for every dollar you spend using the card regardless of what you buy. The 'payout' increases to 2 points for every dollar spent on Amtrak travel. Beyond that, you are also getting 2 points per dollar when Amtrak collects the ticket. (so it works out to 1 = 4 when buying travel from Amtrak.....bonus!) Ultimately, a $50.00 train ticket bought with the card will bring in 200 points.

I use my MBNA Guest Rewards card for all gas purchases plus travel related expenses (rail travel, parking, an airline ticket from time-to-time, hotel rooms, oil changes, tires, etc.) and generally earn about 3 free single region trips in roomette every two years.

A caution though, MBNA will set your interest rate in accord with your total debt, not just the balance on their card. They are pretty quick to increase your interest rate with little or no notice. Keep your eye on that if you're not paying your balance in full each month.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray S
Member # 3175

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray S     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I gave my daughter and my wife a Guest Rewards card three years ago. My daughter was away at college ( I had to pay for it anyway ). She is now back home working full time and half way to her Masters Degree. She uses the card for school and household purchases. My wife never seems to carry cash so I let her loose. Food, clothes, gas, cats, dogs and horse stuff add up in a hurry.

I pay the balance every month and have earned many trips.

Has been great for me.

Ray

Posts: 70 | From: West Palm Beach, Fl. USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like many of you, I pay my Guest Rewards Card and the Continental One Pass Mastercard off every month. We've used it for a major remodel, I paid the downpayment on my Civic with it, etc. There are lots of ways to get the miles but always watch your balance. Like any credit card, if you don't pay on time you will pay even more in the end.

I've only had one problem with getting credit for a trip on Amtrak and that has been going on for almost three months now. I've jumped through all of the hoops but still no credit.

Frank in warm, sunny (during the day) SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutton
Member # 1612

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks, guys. Great news and I shall apply for the card immeditately. Since I have zero debt, it ought not to be a problem. And I can pay it off each month regardless. HEy, Sbalax, just curious, if you want to share: what was the nature of the credit problem you had with Amtrak?
Okay, thanks all. Happy travels.

Posts: 171 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did an SBA/LAX roundtrip and it never posted to my account. I reported it online where they say action will take place within 48 hours. Nothing. I sent an e-mail explaining the problem. Nothing. I sent a letter, with copies of the ticket stubs and the itinerary. Nothing. This really has surprised me since they've been very helpful in the past with a transfer of miles from CO to Amtrak, etc.

Frank in sunny, HOT (they say 97 yesterday!) SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amtrak207
Member # 1307

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtrak207     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't think it was 48 hours. Last time I knew, if you had a points-related dispute (forgot to provide your number when booking or others) it took the master office in Minnesota 5-6 weeks to update your AGR points.
Posts: 391 | From: Schenectady | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
I checked again, and the Guest Rewards website says 48 hours if you submit the request on line and your information agrees with theirs. They do say to wait three weeks before making a request.

The points for my trip on 02/25/06 were just posted yesterday.

Frank in sunny, glorious SBA

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page