RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Information, please, on the Cascades

Author Topic: Information, please, on the Cascades
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will be taking the Amtrak Cascades for the first time in over 5 years, this summer. I plan to get aboard in Portland, Oregon, and travel up to Vancouver, BC. I have a few questions.
1. The last time I rode the Cascades, they didn't allow checked baggage. If I remember correctly, they had a vestibule or baggage rack to the side of most cars. Do they now allow checked baggage or do they have the same arrangement as before?
2. I will be getting "business class". Aside from a little more seat room, how does business class differ from regular class?
3. Do the Cascades have a formal dining car? All I can remember is a snack car.
Thanks. Richard.

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeeCT
Member # 3241

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeeCT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yukon ---
I took the Cascades a little over two weeks ago.
Portland to Seattle.
I checked two pieces of luggage through. (The fact that you are crossing the border may make a difference. The current National Timetable book states that checked luggage is available and says nothing about exceptions.)
No Formal dining car on the train --- a Bistro car instead.
Did not upgrade to business class so can not comment on any difference from regular coach. The train I was on was very new - very clean - and quite comfortable and I was in regular coach
Dee

Posts: 460 | From: North Central CT | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmwnc1959
Member # 2803

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmwnc1959     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have done this trip (Portland to Seattle/ Seattle to Vancouver R/T) several times and it is GREAT! I personally feel that the Cascades is the best train in Amtrak's fleet.

HOWEVER leaving from Portland does not allow a direct continuence to Vancouver... you'll have to take a bus from Seattle. SEA-VAN is the only direct Cascades and it leaves around 7am.

If you have luggage arrive at the Portland/Seattle station 1 hour before departure. Ask for a seat on the left side. The bistro onboard is the nicest Amtrak offers. There is a sit-down dining car for meals too. The sit down breakfast is very nice.

Upgrade to Business Class...it is most definitely worth it, PLUS, Business Class disembarks first in Vancouver, while coach class remains onboard until they are all off. I would gladly pay the cost of upgrade to get off the train first.

Even though you still have to wait for your checked luggage to be removed into the station at Vancouver, Priority Disembarkation gets you off the train and into the station ahead of a train full of coach class, and not having to stand in that line at Customs.

The upgrade for both of you from Seattle-Vancouver should be about $26 but you both get the $3-off coupon for the Bistro, net cost to upgrade around $20 (...ONLY $10 each).

Benefits:

-Complimentary newspapers
-Priority boarding and deboarding
-Wider seats with more legroom
-Quieter coach with fewer passengers
-Coupon for $3 off any menu item (excluding alcoholic beverages)

Expect to take a few moments to clear Customs in the station. Across the street outside is a station for Skytrain to downtown or take a taxi.

Click here for menus, info on Business Class, etc...
http://www.amtrakcascades.com/OnboardConveniences.aspx

Cascades website...

http://www.amtrakcascades.com/

Oh, and here is yet another link that is fun to check out...Click on the individual stations to 'see' them, check out the consist and pictures too.

http://snow.prohosting.com/usarail/cascades.htm

And another about crossing the border...

http://www.amtrakcascades.com/BorderCrossing.aspx

And info on Vancouver...

http://www.amtrakcascades.com/VancouverBC.aspx

Typical Amtrak Cascades...

http://www.photosbystevenjbrown.com/narp/cascades/talgo.html

Posts: 497 | From: Clarksburg, West Virginia | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the good information, DeeCT and dmwnc1959. Appreciate it.

I am aware that the Cascades do not go on through to Vancouver, once arriving in Seattle. I will be staying overnight in Seattle and taking the morning Cascade up to Vancouver, the next day. Going to be taking the Whistler Mountaineer up for a 2 day stay in Whistler, BC.

I took the Coast Starlight, once, back in either the late 1970's or early 1980's. At that time, Amtrak had a connecting shuttle train that you could hop on, at the King Street Stn in Seattle, and it would take you on up to Vancouver. Back then, I think the CS got an earlier start out of LA (not to mention it was pretty much on time) and would get into Seattle around 8PM. The shuttle Amtrak would usually arrive in Vancouver around 11PM or 11:30PM. The good old days.

I wish they had a Cascade return, from Vancouver, in the morning. The only one now leaves around 6 PM.

One thing to note: until the end of this year, you only need a copy of your birth certificate and a picture ID, of some kind, to cross the Canadian border. Starting next year, you will need a passport. I got mine, this past spring, at a special passport office at a major post office. It took a wait of almost 2 hours to finally get my picture taken and to submit the form. I then was told that a copy of my birth certificate would not be accepted. They needed the original birth certificate on an authorized transcript of the original, from the county office of my birth. So, I had to contact my county office, pay them $20, and finally got an official copy. I also found out that the price of a 10-yr passport is in the $90 range (it used to be about $60). After submitting my form and official passport copy, I finally got a passport after 3 weeks. As I will probably be in Canada, for more train excursions, in the next 10 years I figured the hassle would be worth it.

It looks like I'm in for an enjoyable experience on the Cascades, business class.

I need to post an addendum. After checking a few web sites on travel from the US to Canada, I believe that the requirement for a passport, on Dec 31 of 2006, applies only to air travelers.
From what I can tell, automobile and train travelers will not need a passport until Dec 31 of 2007. Until then, a birth certificate and photo ID will suffice. Richard.
http://www.tourismwhistler.com/www/plan_your_trip/travel_blog.asp

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yukon,

My wife and I took the Cascade from Seattle to Vancouver two years ago. I would recommend Business Class on that portion for sure. Primarily because you will have a separate (much shorter) line for seat assignments in the Seattle station and if you desire the sit-down breakfast in the dining portion of the bistro car, the Business class passengers were, when we rode, called for breakfast seating before the coach passengers were even allowed out to the train for boarding. They served some sort of apple stuffed french toast on that train which was just incredibly........good. Only place I have ever seen it on the menu.

Upon arrival in Vancouver the train actually comes to a stop inside a cage and the gate is locked behind you. THEN Business class riders are allowed off the train and sent toward customs first......another big plus as we breezed through in like two or three minutes. At that time they unloaded checked baggage along the big green chain-link fence by the locomotive. You stopped by, picked up your own luggage, and carried it to customs with you. In April 2004 Canadian Customs was far less interested in what was in our luggage than US Customs was when we came back.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which reminds me.......... on my 1999 trip, I rode the Cascade from VAC-SEA. I also noticed that the entire Cascade trainset was in the locked "cage" before boarding and departure. What's the deal with the cage? Is AMTRAK or VIA afraid someone is going to steal the train set or something? They don't lock the Canadian in a cage......
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rrrayinmd
Member # 4148

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rrrayinmd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just like in airports, once you clear customs...you are restricted and cannot return to the "outside" world to pick up contraband...You Bad Person, You! On an air trip from St Louis to Frankfurt, GE, our plane left St Louis and developed a problem which caused us to return to St Louis. Once the plane landed we could not deplane until the airport had set up a controlled access passage for us from the damaged plane to a new plane. We were not allowed to come in contact with anyone who had not cleared customs!!
Posts: 34 | From: Carroll County, MD | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Seattle Shue
Member # 4363

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Seattle Shue         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree that the Cascades is one of the nicest trains running. And it’s hard to beat the scenery between Portland and Vancouver.

The upgrade to business class is definitely money well spent for all the reasons mentioned previously. The only time I have regretted spending the extra dollars for an upgrade was several weekends ago when I did a Seattle-Bellingham roundtrip just for fun. Both ways our car was filled with children, so it was not the quiet business class environment I had experienced so many times in the past. I must admit that I was very glad to get off that train, which is the complete opposite of how I usually feel.

Yukon, I’ll be anxious to hear about your trip on the Whistler Mountaineer. I can hardly wait to do that one myself!

Posts: 31 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have ridden the Cascade many times between Seattle and Vancouver and business class is worth the few extra dollars. The surcharge is usually about $12 or $13 and you also receive a $3.00 coupon for a meal in the bistro car. It is a nice little train, the only downside is that the track, particularly on the Canadian side, is in poor condition making for a rough ride.
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
The accelerated baggage pick-up and move to customs would seem to really make Business Class worthwhile. The french toast sounds great..I'll have to check it out.
I will post a brief narrative with reference to my experience on the Whistler Mountaineer RR. I see there is a "Tourist Railways" section..so I will try and post there. I will be taking the Whistler Mountaineer in early July.
Richard

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page