RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » I told ya so....but noooooo, you wouldn't listen

Author Topic: I told ya so....but noooooo, you wouldn't listen
gp35
Member # 3971

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gp35     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After protests from the White House and fiscal watchdog groups, Senate Appropriations Committee Chairman Thad Cochran, R-Miss., abandoned a bid to devote $700 million to purchase CSX Transportation's recently rebuilt Gulf Coast freight line for a new East-West coast road.
Posts: 562 | From: Beaumont Texas | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's just hope this bad idea stays dead. This latest round was a return from the dead of the same idea that died a couple or more years ago. For a while the Mississippi Dept. of Transportation web site carried a not that they were prohibited from spending any money on this prject for any purpose including studies. And then it came back. How do we drive a holly stake through its heart, pour salt in its mouth or shoot it with a silver bullet or whatever it takes to kill this zombie, vampire, or what ever it is?
Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
delvyrails
Member # 4205

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for delvyrails     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There DO seem to be railroad traffic volume problems that are affecting the local people in many places. When I rode the line west of Mobile 30 years ago, it went through the heart of many communities, a 30-foot right of way with 30 mph speeds because of the intimacy of the railroad, something like some light rail transit lines today.

But in the 30 years since then, the freight traffic probably has doubled to 30 or so mile-long freight trains every day. Imagine all that going through your community at grade level every day and night, more than one per hour.

In my part of the country and in Chicago and some other large metro areas, all of the main grade crossings were separated years ago; and we don't feel their problems.

That's what's driving this seemingly bizarre plan, and the argument that the railroad was there first doesn't work in these communities.

So if we ever spend large amounts of taxpayer money on increasing railroad capacity for passenger and freight trains, we must accept that a large part of those funds will go toward grade separation and even "railroad removal".

--------------------
John Pawson

Posts: 137 | From: Willow Grove, PA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BNSF 1088
Member # 2400

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for BNSF 1088   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amtrak has no plans on returning the Sunset LTD east of NOL.

--------------------
Matt Marderosian
Director Of
Save Our Trains Michigan
www.saveourtrainsmichigan

Save Our Trains Mississippi
www.saveourtrainsmississippi.com

Posts: 210 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gp35
Member # 3971

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gp35     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BNSF 1088:

How do you know?
Posts: 562 | From: Beaumont Texas | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by gp35:
quote:

How do you know?
We have been through this round before. No point in repeating it.

To simply remove the railroad to somewhere else is not usually a solution. To grade seperate it as much as possible is. What happened in Chicago in the early 1900's is not going to be repeated. At that time the city simply required the railroads at their own expense to elevate their tracks. At that time it was financially possible for them to do so. That is no longer the case.

I have said before, the best way to relocate this line is about 25 feet, straight up. It could and should become a double track structure on a set of single columns and then a road could be built with the lanes on each side. There would need to be some industrial track connections at intervals, and this is also practical to do. Would also need to have a connection with the KCS at Gulfport somehow.

Then you can build the road with the lanes each side of the row of columns down the median.

The right of way is for the most part 100 feet wide, not 30 feet.

George

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gp35
Member # 3971

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by George Harris:
quote:
quote:

How do you know?
We have been through this round before. No point in repeating it.

To simply remove the railroad to somewhere else is not usually a solution. To grade seperate it as much as possible is. What happened in Chicago in the early 1900's is not going to be repeated. At that time the city simply required the railroads at their own expense to elevate their tracks. At that time it was financially possible for them to do so. That is no longer the case.

I have said before, the best way to relocate this line is about 25 feet, straight up. It could and should become a double track structure on a set of single columns and then a road could be built with the lanes on each side. There would need to be some industrial track connections at intervals, and this is also practical to do. Would also need to have a connection with the KCS at Gulfport somehow.

Then you can build the road with the lanes each side of the row of columns down the median.

The right of way is for the most part 100 feet wide, not 30 feet.

George

The plan to remove the tracks is dead. The tracks are in better condition now than pre-Katrina. Amtrak could return service tomorrow. We all know that won't happen. Why? Is it money? No market?
SunsetLtd
Member # 3985

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SunsetLtd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bet they restore service....right before another hurricane. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Amsunset

www.facebook.com/kevinschillinger

Posts: 250 | From: Texas State University-San Marcos, Texas (Hometown El Paso, TX) | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gp35
Member # 3971

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by SunsetLtd:

So. That area gets hit by hurricanes all the time. Katrina type hurricanes are uncommon. Before Rita hit us, we went 14 years without a hurricane. 20 years without a strong Cat. 1. Over 35 years with only 1 Cat. 2 storm.
SunsetLtd
Member # 3985

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SunsetLtd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

So. That area gets hit by hurricanes all the time. Katrina type hurricanes are uncommon. Before Rita hit us, we went 14 years without a hurricane. 20 years without a strong Cat. 1. Over 35 years with only 1 Cat. 2 storm.
I didn't say when!! That could be in 10 years who knows!

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Amsunset

Posts: 250 | From: Texas State University-San Marcos, Texas (Hometown El Paso, TX) | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gp35
Member # 3971

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
quote:

I didn't say when!! That could be in 10 years who knows!
Before They go east of NOL. I would like to see daily service. They are already running Sunset as a very short train, 2 coach 1 diner 1 sleeper. Before Katrina and Rita it was a 10 coach train. With the extra equiment from the 2 extra trainsets and extra coaches not in use, they have enough for daily service. Amtrak will be shocked at the increase in riders on a daily Sunset.
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Statements by David Laney suggest that Amtrak is considering different options for New Orleans and points east. I suspect the Sunset thing is pending the outcome of their system wide route evalation, which is supposed to be done this summer.

And let's not forget that some are challenging Amtrak's failure to provide 180 day cancellation notices for the east of NOL segment, and may force Amtrak to restore it. Stay tuned.

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SunsetLtd
Member # 3985

Member Rated:
Actually it's more like a Coach and a half. Since they got rid of the Lounge space on the top part of the Snack-Coach. Still waiting for Sightseers! but they are late typical Amtrak. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Amsunset

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page