RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Check it out...

Author Topic: Check it out...
gp35
Member # 3971

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gp35     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.newenglandrailroad.com/

I thought you experts said a full 2 story train is not possible. Scroll to the bottom of the page.

Posts: 562 | From: Beaumont Texas | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know what fly-by-night outfit is hosting that site, but it crashed the browsers on two computers a total of four times.

I did get through once, by typing in the URL directly, but it failed to load completely. What I saw was a photoshopped Colorado Railcars bi-level DMU inserted into some photos of the New England countryside. There was also an interior image of a luxury bi-level lounge car. The latter I had seen before in a proposal for a transcontinental luxury cruise train.

They might work in parts of New England, but they're too tall to fit into New York tunnels, if that's the issue you're concened about.

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Worked fine for me, Mr. Toy, although a tad slow to load. From what I read they are trying to start service from Montreal to Portland, ME.

Frank in "June Gloom" SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried it and got it to load up, but after what Mr. Toy said, did it a work where I can call for help if it infects my computer.

Also, as Mr. Toy said, these are simply the Colorado Railcar vehicles. They are two story in the same sense that the Superliners are two story, even though they are a little taller. They are almost identical to the Superliner in width. The top pictures are simply photoshopped with a New England looking background and the New England sounding names added to the vehicles. They did not even modify the colors of the vehicles from those used in Colorado Railcar's advertisements. The bottom pictures are some of the equipment built by Colorado Railcar for the Alaska Railroad.

This little dab of promotional literature proves nothing. To know whether or not these vehicles could be operated on the lines they claim,you would have to ask the likes of New England Central and Guilford, or Canadian National / Canadian Pacific. Maybe a check of Railway Line Clearances could give you some idea, but they usually do not cover passenger stations and passenger only lines, so seeing clearances that will allow this stuff to get over the lines does not mean it can get into the Montreal station.

The Colorado Railcar web site gives dimensions and other information on these vehicles:

Height: (rail to roof) 18'-0"
Width: (over side sheets) 10'-0"
Length: (over body) 83'-6.5"
Length (over couplers) 85'-0"
Step height (above top of rail) 16"
Truck centers: 60'-0"
Truck wheelbase: 8'-6"
Minimum horizontal curve radius: 250'
Empty weight (trailer car) 157,000 lbs
Empty weight (cab car) 163,000 lbs
Seating capacity (trailer car) 190
Seating capacity (cab car) 185
Aisle width (lower deck) 24" to 32"
Aisle width (upper deck) 24" to 32"
-- I am guessing that the range of width depends upon the width of the seats installed. Given the high number of people per level, this sounds like commuter density seating on the order of the New Jersey Transit cattle car density.--

By the way, to operate at reasonsble speeds between these points will require a lot of work on the tracks.

The Colorado Railcar information is well known. They have advertized extensively in the trade press, and have built a demonstrator car that has toured extensively. I did not even have to go to their web site to find teh information I copied in above. I downloaded it from their web site in late 2002.

George

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While we're on the subject of Colorado Railcars, I might note that they recently bought out American Orient Express and renamed it GrandLuxe Railtours.

It so happens that I got to meet a woman this week who promotes their rail tours to travel agents. She has worked for AOE for six years, and for Amtrak six years before that. I set up the a/v equipment for her presentation at our hotel, and when I identified myself as "a bit of a foamer" I became her best friend for the evening.

In her presentation she indicated that Colorado Railcars is planning to add a brand new bi-level sleeper to their GrandLuxe tour train, similar to the one shown here. The upstairs rooms will be under a dome, with special film on the glass to keep heat buildup to a minimum.

You might note that this car has the pass through door on the lower level, to make it compatible with single level equipment. But in order to do that it needs to be taller than a Superliner. That may have been the point of the original post in this thread.

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by gp35:
I thought you experts said a full 2 story train is not possible.

I thought you read the reasons why. Obviously not. Of course a two storey train is possible - or even a three or a four storey train. What is NOT possible is making it fit into the existing surroundings which is where the problem lies.

Firefox stated that the website had additional plug-ins it needed to download. But it is a rather cheap'n'nasty attempt at a website, unbecoming of an established, professional company, which suggests that this it is not.

Geoff M.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Geoff: I think he missed the difference between not possilbe and not practical. 18 feet is practical in some areas, but not generally, and I am not in the least sure that this New England Railroad is at all a practical proposal. For stuff like this my usual thought is call me when you have the cash to start doing something. This is just one of many passenger service schemes bouncing around, and seems less likely to happen than most of the others, none of which have gone beyond planning documents as yet.

I looked up Portland to Montreal in a 1952 Official Guide I have. There was one slow train on the Grand Trunk - Canadian National, which appears to be their proposed initial route and one slow train on the Maine Central connecting to Canadian Pacific, which appears maybe be the other in the future route they were talking about. I really do not know much about what railroad tracks are left in New England.

I just have trouble seeing enough demand to make the scheme practical.

George

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page