RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Small trip on the Pacific Surfliner

Author Topic: Small trip on the Pacific Surfliner
MontanaJim
Member # 2323

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MontanaJim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im planning a trip to LA next week and may take a small train trip from LA union station to Simi Valley to see the Reagan Library. Will I get to see the Santa Susanna mtns on the trip or are they west of simi valley? Should i take the train further west just to sightsee if I have the time? I have seen many pics of amtrak trains going through the mtns west of LA, dont know if those mtns are east or west of simi valley. Thanks for any info anyone can provide.
Posts: 416 | From: St. Albans, Vermont | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rY.
Member # 3528

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rY.   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Immediately upon leaving the Chatsworth station (just after a wide right turn after traveling "west" in a straight line across the San Fernando valley), you'll ascend the Santa Susanna pass. Simi Valley station is just on the west ("north"?) side of those mountains.
Posts: 108 | From: Culver City, CA, US | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jim--

How are you planning to get to the library from the Simi Valley Station? I assume taxis might be available on call. The Library is a wonderful place and I've been thinking about a trip down to see the new Air Force One exhibit.

If you have the time, the trip to Santa Barbara can be really pretty now that the sun has returned and "June Gloom" is gone for the moment. It would be a bit much to do in one day including the Library but could be done.

Best,

Frank in SUNNY SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jim - as rY. said, YES the Santa Susana Mountains and the the tunnel you've seen in all those publicity photos are between L.A. and Simi Valley -- "west" ("north?") of Simi Valley, there is not a whole lot to see until you get to the Pacific Ocean near Ventura
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MontanaJim
Member # 2323

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MontanaJim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the info guys.

"How are you planning to get to the library from the Simi Valley Station? "

There is a city bus that goes from the station to the library, from what the library has told me. I might take the train all the way to Santa Barbara for the fun of it, but im only in LA for a few days so it will depend on how much time I have.

Posts: 416 | From: St. Albans, Vermont | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jim--

Do you have any other information about the city bus service? A website, perhaps? It would make a great day trip for me from here if the transportation is workable.

Let me know if you decide to venture west (well, mostly west and a bit north) to SBA.

Frank in 81 degree, sunny SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rY.
Member # 3528

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rY.   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, I should note that, during the week, you're not limited to Pacific Surfliner trains for traveling between Los Angeles Union Station and Simi Valley. Metrolink's Ventura County Line runs several frequencies a day (as far north as Montalvo, though two trains only go as far as Chatsworth, so read the schedule carefully!). If you're interested in riding a variety of equipment, you could ride Metrolink one way and Surfliner (Amtrak) the other...
Posts: 108 | From: Culver City, CA, US | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MontanaJim
Member # 2323

Rate Member
Thanks for the info, rY! The Metrolink is about half the cost of the Surfliner.

Frank--here is the link to the simi valley transit website with the city bus schedule:

http://www.ci.simi-valley.ca.us/Bus_Schedules__Revised_5-06_.pdf

MontanaJim
Member # 2323

Rate Member
In regards to the simi valley transit website, I should add that route D serves the library. Stop reads "presidential library".
DeeCT
Member # 3241

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeeCT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Montana Jim --
This looks like an interesting Day Trip from LAX.
Certainly inexpensive if using Metrolink and the Simi Valley trasit. Have filed the info from this thread to my Vacation things to do folder. Please post after you make this trip and let us know how it works out. ---Dee

Posts: 460 | From: North Central CT | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Thanks, Jim, for the info. I found the site on my own and it was really comprehensive. It looks like you do need to changes buses to get the D up to the Library but that should be easy enough. I also went to the Reagan Library site and it gives lots of helpful hints including links to Amtrak and Metrolink. Maybe there is hope for public transportation in Southern California after all!

Frank in sunny, hot SBA

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page