RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Leaving tomorrow

Author Topic: Leaving tomorrow
Amtrak207
Member # 1307

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Amtrak207     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The original plan was full Northeast Clockwise.
Oops, can't take 448 AGAIN because of OTP lousy enough to jeopardize making the connection (3 hours 30 minutes) in Boston to the last southbound trip of the night. My aim here was to not make any stopovers. Well, 48 was 3:45 late Wednesday, 5:20 late yesterday, and just a tad under 6 hours today. Tomorrow's 48 (the train I would have ridden) left Chi nearly two hours late. As I was talking to a (very courteous!) reservation agent, he enjoyed me saying, "CSX sucks and I know better." So there's a substitute first two legs of the trip.
Revised itinerary: 282 Schenectady-NYP, NEC train (88 or one of those 190-series Regionals) to New Haven/Boston, whatever we have time for. Resume original itinerary.
67 Boston-DC, 29 DC-Chi (First... Sleeper... Ever!), 48 Chi-SDY next tuesday. If any of you feel like coming out to see the train, just look for a mid-twenties foamer that's having fun regardless. I don't care how late we are as long as it's safe, and that's why I chose Amtrak, aside from wanting to do this for three years. I've spent:
19 years railfanning/foaming
11,000 miles riding
1 hour (off the record) in a sleeper
7 hours on the NEC
0 hours on Acela
and
0 hours in Business/Custom Class
so far.

The last time I rode Superliners was in 1992.

When the train gets hours later when I ride it, I think of that as "value-added service" that I didn't anticipate.

I have a distinct feeling this is going to be fun. Wherever the heck roomette 6 is on a Superliner sleeper, I'm there, and we've got Viewliner room 8 on 48, right in the middle of the car! I may even be able to sleep between Toledo and Sandusky this time!

Last sighting (two weeks prior) my namesake engine was alternating between the City and the Capitol based out of Chi.... Wouldn't that be nice. Anyway, I need to get some sleep. Another first this time- a laptop! I can write my trip review while I'm still riding!

See you... out there! (Q)

Posts: 391 | From: Schenectady | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It sounds like you have a great trip planned and I know you're going to enjoy it. Tell us about it when you get back.

Doesn't that timekeeping blow everything though? It's gotten to the point that one can only do a train trip when there are no obligations (family, job, etc.) that would be short-changed if you......say......turned up 24 hours behind schedule.

For instance, I'm looking at a three day trip next month to take in some railroad museums/scenic railroads in Maryland (B&O Museum, Western Maryland Scenic Railroad, Baltimore Streetcar, etc.).

Originally I was looking at taking Amtrak up BUT timekeeping for any train going to or from south of Richmond is so bad (avr. 2 to 4 hours late every day) that I don't want to risk any component of the trip on a late train.

I might just drive up to the Henry Clay Inn (Ashland, VA)and take NEC trains from there. So that's 500 miles I otherwise would not have driven.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page