RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Mid-Summer Excursion BEGINS in 8 hours

Author Topic: Mid-Summer Excursion BEGINS in 8 hours
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
July 11 at 10:00pm. Going to bed now so that I can get up before dawn and drive to Greensboro in the morning. 'See' you all online Saturday!

I have three days next week (July 12-14) to get out and do a little train riding. Not enough time to do anything extravagent and I didn't want to mess with flying or doing alot of driving.

I started thinking about what elements of the railroading experience I would enjoy most. The excitement of boarding the train is a given. So is going someplace to enjoy railroading history. Finally, I confess that I would enjoy the opportunity to watch trains even when I'm not riding one or looking at one stuffed and mounted in a museum.

So......ultimately I've come up with a quick little excursion which incorporates all of the above -

On Wednesday (July 12) I will board the Carolinian in Greensboro, NC, and ride to Richmond, VA. In Richmond I will change trains and catch a northeast regional train the additional 10 miles to Ashland, VA where I will stay trackside for two nights at the Henry Clay Inn.

Thursday morning I will start off aboard a northeast regional train for a three hour hop up to Baltimore. There I'll take the light rail down to Camden Yards and hike the five or six blocks to the B&O Railroad Museum. Time permitting I may also explore a little more of the light rail system. That afternoon I will ride back to Ashland for an evening at the Henry Clay.

Friday I will start southward but will ride three separate trains (just for comparison sake) along the way. The regional into Richmond Staples Mill Road, the Palmetto on to Selma, NC, and then the Carolinian back over to Greensboro. Nothing spectacular but I'll find enough to entertain myself! This little excursion includes a trackside hotel, a museum, and boarding a new train to start a mini-journey 7 times!

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liberty Limited
Member # 4300

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Liberty Limited   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always like those multi-modal adventure trips. Just hope you can find enough to enjoy in Ashland. I had contemplated taking a daytrip down there just to get something to eat and then return to Baltimore.

While in Baltimore, remember that the Penn Light Rail operation is now just a shuttle to the mainline operation at Mount Royal, from where you'll catch your train to Convention Center or Camden. If you have time and want to explore the light rail line further, the nothern end is slightly more interesting from a railroad history aspect, as it follows the old PRR/NCRR right of way beyond North Avenue. Between Falls Road and Lutherville Stations, there are two surviving stations in good repair, one of which, Lutherville, still has its brick platforms! [Smile]

-

Thus, if time permits, I'd try to ride out at least to Lutherville on the North end.

--------------------
History of Baltimore and Baltimore Transit - Visit http://www.btco.net !

Posts: 86 | From: Baltimore | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IMTM&P: Just curious, where and what did you plan to eat in Ashland?

David, your trip sounds like fun. Have you been to Baltimore before?

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liberty Limited
Member # 4300

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Liberty Limited   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nothing extravagant. It would just be a simple breakfast near the station, in between the 918am scheduled arrival SB and the 1112am scheduled departure NB.

Google Earth indicates a couple of places right near trackside where foods can be gotten. I'd assume one of them has to be open for breakfast.

--------------------

Posts: 86 | From: Baltimore | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sojourner:
IMTM&P: Just curious, where and what did you plan to eat in Ashland?

David, your trip sounds like fun. Have you been to Baltimore before?

Hi Sojourner (and Ma&Pa),

Yes. I've been to Baltimore before. I spent two years in graduate school at the University of Maryland in College Park. My apartment was just two blocks from the MARC/Metro Station and this was at a time when MARC was still running baseball specials to the Orioles games. While not particularly a baseball fan, I loved having an excuse to walk two blocks and take the train to Baltimore. I was also dating a girl who was a Baltimore native at the time. (That's another story.....essentially I found the DC/Balto area too crowded and becoming moreso and she found the idea of leaving Baltimore non-negotiable. Being a true Baltimoran, she also could not understand how anyone could not be a true Orioles fan and prefer......gasp......college basketball to baseball!)

Ma & Pa......thanks for the heads-up on the light rail. I was not aware that the Penn Station light rail was just a shuttle now. Seems like the last time I was in Baltimore it continued southward as a yellow line train. Of course when I was living in Maryland getting the light rail from Penn Station meant walking to the Mt. Royal Station! Going northward is exactly what I had in mind on the light rail. I remember the really neat little curve and dipsey-do the light rail does just north of the Mt. Royal station to access the historic right-of-way. Beyond the reasons you point out, I had also wanted to have a look at how near the Red Roof Inn in Timonium is to a light rail station. (Looks close on Google Earth but.......) This might be a hotel I use on a future rail excursion that is 33% less expensive than the Henry Clay........but on this trip I specifically wanted to stay at the Henry Clay.

Enough to do in Ashland? I'm thinking a couple of evening strolls on the campus of Randolph-Macon College plus sitting and reading on the porch of the Henry Clay between trains.

B-T-W: The Henry Clay does have a restaurant which is open on certain days. They also do a breakfast of sorts but that may be only for their overnight guests. Would certainly be worth looking into!

--------------------
David Pressley

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liberty Limited
Member # 4300

Rate Member
For the Red Roof being on Timonium Road, I would definitely opt for the TIMONIUM BUSINESS PARK stop, as this stop is closer than Timonium Fairgrounds. Otherwise, a #9 bus should take you near the door from Lutherville Station, but I'd likely only recommend this on weekdays, as weekend service has wide headways.

I'm debating about a breakfast destination to Ashland or a Daytrip using Richmond's Main Street Station.

--------------------

notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by I Missed the Ma&Pa:
For the Red Roof being on Timonium Road, I would definitely opt for the TIMONIUM BUSINESS PARK stop, as this stop is closer than Timonium Fairgrounds. Otherwise, a #9 bus should take you near the door from Lutherville Station, but I'd likely only recommend this on weekdays, as weekend service has wide headways.

When Baltimore's light rail first opened wasn't the Timonium Fairgrounds station the northernmost stop? Seems like I remember boarding a train there when that was the origination point. It's been 12-13 years though.

The photo you posted of the light rail is terrific by-the-way.

--------------------
David Pressley

palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David

Sounds like a good trip. A couple thoughts - If you have time in Richmond, take a cab over to Main St. station from Staples Mill (ask about the fare, may be a bit pricey) but Main St. has been beautifully restored and worth a visit. You can then hop on your Ashland train there.

In Ashland, you can eat at the Henry Clay (excellent food on weekends only) but I don't care for the small dining room at the back. Much better is the Ironhorse Restaurant on the corner. Excellent food also, but sit in the bar area - a bit cheaper, same food and better track view esp if you can grab the corner table.

Wave at the Kappa Sigma and Kappa Alpha frat houses (first was mine, the latter was my son's). After dinner stroll down to the storefront ice cream shop a few doors down from the restaurant (years ago it was a beer and pizza shop - I had a lot of the former and a little of the latter). If you're still in town in the morning after 10, the small hobby shop across the street is interesting (esp. the owner).

In Baltimore (I worked there 17 years), Klein's hobby shop is downtown if you're into model rr and has a huge inventory. Not sure how close the light rail comes, but check out the Balt. Art Insitute which was the B&O's Mt. Royal station when they ran to NY. I can't get oo excited about the light rail system - except it's Northern Central heritage, but I do recommend the trolley museum. It is well worth a visit and is just a short distance from Penn station. Finally, if you can add a day to your trip, I'd rent a car in Baltimore and drive to see the Strasburg RR operation - the best in the east in my opinion.

Selma is a great town - on our road trips north I go to the station and my wife goes to a quilt shop there - makes us both happy. A couple decent restaurants and certainly walkable from the station.

Next month we'll follow that route north for another visit to our son in NJ and then to New England for a couple weeks.

Have fun and hope CSX is close to on time.By the way, I'd be interested to see what you think of business class on the Palmetto or Carolinian. The useless coach as business car is gone and the cafe/dinette/business car appears to be the real thing with 2/1 seating.

Oh yes, and have a cold one for me on the front porch.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David

A couple additional comments - the correct name is the Maryland Institute College of Art at mica.edu. Their site shows a 5 min cab ride from the station and the Streetcar museum is open only on Sundays.

Another idea is change in Washington to MARC's camden line (the old B&O) so you can get off at Camden station and take light rail from there.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Good suggestions Palmland.

I first found Ashland (other than riding through on Amtrak) about 1989 or 90 when I was stationed in Little Creek, VA by the US Army. Having grown up in a small college town Ashland reminded me a little of home.....but with the added bonus of the RF&P down the middle of the street! Many weekends 'away' from the military ended Sunday afternoon with the southbound auto-train passing through Ashland. Then I'd get in my little pickup and drive back to the Norfolk area so I could make PT formation at 5:08am Monday morning. (Why 5:08? It's because the training NCO thought 5:00am was TOO early but 5:15am was too late!! It is the army we're talking about here!)

I've actually been to the hobby shop in Ashland on a trip to the Henry Clay back in 2003. Fortunately another customer came in and distracted the owner so I could actually browse. I did buy a model water tower to 'pay the rent' for taking up floor space for 45 minutes or so.

You've given me a great idea to pursue in Richmond. If the Carolinian isn't too far behind schedule I could, as you suggest, catch a cab to Main Street Station and board train 66 there rather than at Staples Mill. I'm surprised I didn't think of that. Actually, I guess I was pretty much hung up on getting to Ashland if the Carolinian is more than 3 and a half hours late.

Klein's in Baltimore. Oh my what a place. The aforementioned former girlfriend took me there once. She was good for setting up trains under the tree at Christmas but having a permanent layout officially crossed the line over to 'wierd' in her eyes.

I was a regular rider on MARC's Camden Line when I was in grad school. I even managed a ride or two on the RDC's before they went into storage.

Strasburg. I'm a big fan. My wife and I spent a few hours there last Labor Day before catching an afternoon flight back to Charlotte from Harrisburg. (We had been to Scranton for an event OTHER than Steamtown!) I had been there two or three times on grad school weekends 14 years ago. I'm thinking next summer I'd like to do a 'driving' tour and ride these tourist steam trains...the Durbin Rocket, Western Maryland Scenic, East Broad Top, and Strasburg, on succesive days....but I doubt my wife would stand for that many trains in a row.

Thanks again for your tips.....I'll post a report when I get home!

--------------------
David Pressley

Liberty Limited
Member # 4300

Rate Member
Well, judging by the past week's performance, you'll probably make it, but you might not have the time to visit Main Street.

I'm curious what they'd do if 80 didn't make it. Since they're heading through Ashland anyway, would they be obliged to make the stop?

Palmland, you seem to know Ashland pretty well, any suggestions for a near track breakfast spot? Nothing super fancy - just a nice little diner where one could get maybe some steak and eggs?

Ironically, I first came through in the late 80's as well, enroute to Richmond to visit family. The look of the place on a lovely fall day really captivated me, and I've always wanted to visit if just briefly! Besides, while there, I can get a clip of the Northbound Silver Star, I just *KNOW* it's gonna be right on time!

--------------------

Eric R.
Member # 4123

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric R.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I work with a bunch of public schools down in Washington Village/Pigtown, and always walk by the B&O museum, buy haven't been inside since its restoration following the roof collapse a couple of winters ago. I recommend taking the light rail north and south from Mount Royal. North, get off at Woodberry, where you're at the foot of Clipper Mill and Hampden. South of Mount Royal, I recommend a trip along Eutaw Street. I recently walked the length of the road, from its beginnings in Reservoir Hill near Druid Lake Park, downtown, and am really impressed with the architecture and progress of restoration north of State Center. All of the revitilization (both current and anticipated...depending on the Weinberg Trust's whims) around Lexington Market is really exciting. Baltimore is still a gritty, industrial city, but is starting to pack a lot more great surprises.
Posts: 17 | From: Baltimore, MD | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
quote:
I'm curious what they'd do if 80 didn't make it. Since they're heading through Ashland anyway, would they be obliged to make the stop?

That's one of the chances I'm taking with this trip. We'll see what happens and, worst case, I could probably get a cab into Ashland.

At one point I had considered actually DRIVING to Ashland rather than fool with Amtrak timekeeping between Richmond and Rocky Mount BUT driving 350 miles when a train is available just seemed to defeat the original logic.

--------------------
David Pressley

sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good luck David! I hope you have a fabulous trip. And you know, I think if it didn't make it, the train probably would stop for you if you ask. But let's think positive--you WILL make it.
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liberty Limited
Member # 4300

Rate Member
Well, no special stop for the Carolinian yesterday. According to the website, it arrived at Staples Mill at 5:32pm. No time for David to visit Main Street Station, but at least he didn't have to hang out in the Amshack too long until his regional arrived about 6pm!

--------------------

MontanaJim
Member # 2323

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MontanaJim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have a good trip!
Posts: 416 | From: St. Albans, Vermont | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
quote:
Well, no special stop for the Carolinian yesterday. According to the website, it arrived at Staples Mill at 5:32pm. No time for David to visit Main Street Station, but at least he didn't have to hang out in the Amshack too long until his regional arrived about 6pm!

Well......actually my rgional was also three hours late. But it was one of those deals where first it was 20 minutes late....then 40.....then 'delayed'. Full report in 'tales of woe'.

--------------------
David Pressley

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page