RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Milwaukee info

Author Topic: Milwaukee info
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Recently I got some very good advice on this forum about taking the Empire builder to Seattle this fall. Now one more question.

In checking air fares from ATL to Chicago, it seems I can save a few bucks by flying into Milwaukee. More importantly, if I get on the Builder there, it has the advantage of letting me take a later flight and avoid a way to early drive to the Atlanta airport. Seems the commute from airport to station in Milwaukee would be easier too. I assume cab would be easier than train - with luggage - from the new airport station to the downtown station.

Any downside to doing this other than missing the grand departure experience. I have never seen the inside of the Milwaukee station, so it might be worth doing? Any good restaurants in walking distance of the Milwaukee station. Thanks for the advice.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unfortunately, Milwaukee's Amtrak station is Soviet-style Cold War architecture at its worst -- the next best thing to being in eastern Bulgaria, circa 1962. Although it's due for renovation (which may have begun), I certainly wouldn't rearrange my travel plans just to see it.

Restaurant-wise, you can walk to both the downtown area and the Historic Third Ward, which is Milwaukee's version of a "trendy" urban warehouse / art gallery / bistro / luxury loft district -- the kind beloved by real estate agents everywhere.

Since I'm not picky about food (Subway or Nobu, it's all the same to me), I can't make any specific recommendations. I'll leave that to others.

------------------------------------------

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reich
Member # 2564

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for reich     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a shared van service called "Airport Connection" at the MKE airport that will take you to the Amtrak station for $11 per their web site. It says the trip takes 25 minutes, but I found the downside was waiting up to 30 minutes just to leave the airport as they collected other passengers. A cab would cost at least double that. From a Chicago airport, there is a Coach USA bus, (Wisconsin Coach Line) that runs 13 times daily in about 2 hrs, add another 2 1/2 hours if from Chicago's Midway.

I also can't comment on the Third Ward, never ate there, just walked around the area on a Sunday afternoon.

Scenery wise, it wouldn't matter if you boarded the Builder in Milwaukee or Chicago, it's the train experience that makes it. Have a relaxing trip.

Posts: 15 | From: Mke, WI, USA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judy McFarland
Member # 4435

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judy McFarland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you are traveling coach, you may find that dinner is fully booked by the time the train reaches Milwaukee. If you are in a sleeper, the car attendant will have booked you a dinner time.

You would not go to the new airport station to get a cab to the downtown station - it is located at the edge of a long-term parking area & reached by shuttle van from the terminal. Airport Connection is cheaper than cab to downtown, but you may have to wait for a van.

Downtown Amtrak is located on St Paul Street. As a former downtown resident, I can recommend the Third Ward as a great place to window shop and get a tasty meal - try the Milwaukee Ale House (on Water Street overlooking the river) or The Wicked Hop (corner of St Paul & Broadway) or Coquette Cafe (on Milwaukee between StPaul & Buffalo - owned by the owners of the permiere Milwaukee restaurant, Sanford's, but a less expensive country French menu). If you have the time & the inclination, the Eisner Museum of Industrial Art is on Water Street approx across the street from the Ale House - one of the most interesting museums I've visited with ever-changing exhibits of things you would never think of as art (shopping bags, beer ads, etc). The new Milwaukee Public Market is now open - have not been there, but I've heard it's very nice (across the street from the Wicked Hop). You'll also find the obligatory Starbucks on Water Street for your caffeine fix. If time is an issue, cab to the Third Ward for less than $5 including tip & walk back. You can't hail cabs on the street in Milwaukee, but they are always available at the Amtrak station. Don't spend any more time in the station than necessary - it truly needs a complete overhaul. You can, however, check your suitcases. Pick up a free copy of The Onion inside the station to read on the train.

Posts: 337 | From: Goshen, IN | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judy McFarland
Member # 4435

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judy McFarland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another note on Airport Connection: if you make a reservation on their website ( www.mkelimo.com ) , you will probably have a shorter wait before leaving the airport. I use them frequently & have never waited more than 5 minutes for a ride.
Posts: 337 | From: Goshen, IN | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the info, I think we'll give it a try. Not worried about dinner reservations as we generally eat late - all the better to have cocktails in our room or lounge.
Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rtabern
Member # 4306

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rtabern   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I currently live in Milwaukee now... and as the other posters said, leaving the downtown station is not really "a grand experience". I mean it is somewhat cool to see the skyline and Hoan Bridge (if you're traveling North-South), or Miller Park (if you're traveling East-West).

I would recommend flying in to MKE instead of ORD. I grew up in Chicago and now live in Milwaukee and will only fly out of Chicago if I absolutely have to. You can get to the Milwaukee airport 45-60 minutes before your plane takes off and easily still make your flight... while O'Hare seems to be a big hassle. So if it's cheaper to fly into MKE, I would definetly do so.

Should you cab it -- or take the train to the MKA (Milwaukee Airport) station? I would say it depends on the schedule. Personally, I would just take the train from MKE to MKA. Everytime I have done that, the conductor was willing to help me with my luggage on and off the train so it wasn't much of an issue... but if you have a lot of bags, maybe a cab would be better?

I would say a taxi would run you $20, and the train is $6 from MKE to MKA.

See the above post for food -- I agree there.

There used to be a restaurant in the train station at MKE, but it went out in 2002. It's sorta sad to see it go because it looked (through the glass doors where you can see it's remains) like a nice place.

But yes, it needs a renovation. The bathrooms are just a really scary place too -- so hold it until the airport or the MKA station if possible.

Posts: 100 | From: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page