RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Lap tops and POWER

Author Topic: Lap tops and POWER
wannacruise
Member # 4471

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for wannacruise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you all for your help. I now have a couple of questions.

I know many of you travel with your laptops. How do you secure them when you move about the train?

Is it correct that you can't lock roomettes?

Is there power at coach seat on cardinal?

I would like to take it along especially for DVD watching on l o n g trip from Cin _ NYP.

thanks again ! ML

Posts: 13 | From: Cincinnati | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can't lock any sleeping compartments. For cameras or any other valuable equipment, I either don't take it, take a cheaper one, or hide it out of sight. Also, close the curtains when you leave the room so a passing opportunist won't know whether you're in there or not.

The best movie to see has around 1200 miles of film, is included in the price of your ticket, is best viewed on a 50" screen, is enhanced by audience participation, allows personal recording equipment to be used, runs 24 hours per day, but suffers from poor lighting conditions for hours at a time, and even stops several times. That's right, it's through your window.

Geoff M.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RussM
Member # 3627

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RussM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Theft in sleeping cars is an EXTREMELY rare occurrence. Trainweb has a discussion of that subject at this page:

http://www.trainweb.com/travel/safety.html

Coach is another matter. I would think a laptop cable/lock (available in most computer stores) would be a good idea, if something like a luggage rack or seat support could be used to secure it.

Posts: 133 | From: Canaan, CT | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wannacruise
Member # 4471

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for wannacruise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank You gentlemen, I guess it's much like camping, mutual respect for each others property.
Thant's good to know.

We do travel by train for the scenery, however sometimes there is not much to see or it is dark outside. Our trip from Cin - NYP is almost 20 hours most of which is daytime,thus the reason we are going coach, but 20 hours is a LONG TIME.

Anyway, are there electric outlets at coach seats on Viewliner?

The last time we rode the Cardinal it was a Superliner with a Sightseer Lounge, loved those outside facing seats. Is there such a place on the Viewliner train?

Thanks for your input.

Posts: 13 | From: Cincinnati | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PaulB
Member # 4258

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for PaulB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's no Viewliner coaches. The only Viewliner cars are sleeping cars.

Amfleet coaches are the single-level coaches used. It depends-some coaches have outlets at each set, but many do not. You really play on luck.

Unfortunately, single-level trains in the Eastern US do not have a car like the Sightseer Lounge. They do have lounge cars, but with small windows and booth seating as shown here:
http://www.trainweb.org/amtrakpix/locoshots/amfleet2cafe/28021A.html
(exterior)
http://www.trainweb.org/amtrakflorida/Pictures/Amtrak%20Picture%20Page/Large%20Images/Cars/Amfleet%20II%20Lounge%20-%20Tables.jpg
(interior)

Posts: 286 | From: Knee deep in the retention tank | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My trip last week which included the Carolinian and Palmetto was done in coach (regular....not business) and both trains did have outlets at each seat. This was done at the most recent renovation though......there are still some unrefurbished amfleet coaches rolling around the system and the Cardinal usually gets the leftover equipment. You might have and outlet, you might not.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the Superliner roomettes where there is a thin closet by the door, I attach my universal laptop cable around the clothes hanger rod and keep the laptop in the closet. The room is small enough so I can use (and recharge) the laptop without ever unlocking the cable.
Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SubwayNut
Member # 3948

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SubwayNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have recently returned from a long cross-country Amtrak trip (Seattle-NYP), and had an Amfleet-II seat on the Lakeshore from CHI-Syracuse, two of coach cars were in the old style unrebuilt red inteior, and two had the new rebuilt blue interior. (With not one, but TWO outlets per window seat.) Their should be at least one car on the cardinal that is a rebuilt, and has electrical outlets. It's only a matter of finding that car to sit in, or if its not the car your assigned to sitting in their temperarily while your device charges.
Posts: 38 | From: Manhattan, NY/Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wannacruise
Member # 4471

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for wannacruise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you all so much for your input.

ML

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page