RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Full Service Dining (Empire Builder)

Author Topic: Full Service Dining (Empire Builder)
TALKrr
Member # 683

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TALKrr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is wonderful to know that at least one of the long-distance trains still has a "regular" dining-car. I realize that the Auto-train does also , but only passengers with vehicles can use it---so I am not "counting it.

My question is , how long will this be the case ?

To keep the food-service "as is" on the Builder , just how many dining-cars are necessitated ?

Here is another point for your consideration:

Let's say Amtrak decides to KEEP "regular" dining-car service on ONE long-distance route (not counting Auto-Train), what does everyone think about the idea of "switiching" (every six months) between the Empire Builder and the SW Chief ? What difference would it make to switch the service ? This way people traveling over different parts of the country could have access to a full-service dining-car at least PART of the year. Those would be the ONLY other two trains to have the full service dining.

I do not see how this concept would be difficult to "manage."---although there may be points I have not considered.

If there were EASTERN trains that ran two-nights , I would suggest keeping a full-service diner on one of THOSE routes.

For what it's worth , I think that if Amtrak IS going to keep full-service dining on at least ONE western train, that service could be SHARED between TWO trains---and the Chief would make a wonderful "candidate."

If a six month "switch" would not be possible , how about a yearly "switch "?

I realize that the Builder is now considered Amtrak's "priemier" Western train and thus gets to "keep" full-service dining. I simply do not see WHY this must be the case. The Chief certainly has as much history and ridership---at least it seems so to me.

This is the first time I have posted three different messages in the same day !! A "mile-stone" for me ??

Posts: 187 | From: Pittsburgh , PA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to say, having just traveled the Empire Builder, that while my food was delicious heading east to west, my full-service food on the west to east was WORSE than the food on the Capitol Ltd and Lakeshore Ltd which have both switched to diner lite. Not the breakfasts--they were better. But the lunches and especially dinners were awful. The first night, the salmon was dry as dust. The second night, there were several unappealing items: more dry fish, something called Iron Steak that was nothing like the NY Strip I had coming out, a very bad-looking pasta dish, a big old half chicken, and something called turkey tenderloins that looked like the cheapest pressed meat. I finally opted for the special, which was a pot pie--quite tasty, but definitely microwaveable, and not what I expect from "full service." The waiter himself was groaning at the selection!!!

OTOH, the wine tasting was fun, though again, better (more selection) heading east to west.

I thought the only reason Amtrak has left Empire Builder full service so far was that it advertised the new Empire Builder last year (before the dumping of David Gunn) all over the place and had many reservations of people thinking they would be getting this newly refurbished fancier Empire Builder and thus could not change horses in midstream (or do I mean cars in midtrack).

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PaulB
Member # 4258

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for PaulB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sojurner: Sorry to hear the food was so bad. The steak you mentioned is the Flat Iron Steak. Never had it on Amtrak, but I want to try it.

TALKrr: I think a periodic switching of food services between trains is a bad idea. People will get a steak on one trip, then do the same trip (or a trip involving the same route) some time later and wonder why they can't get steak (or eggs).

Posts: 286 | From: Knee deep in the retention tank | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TALKrr:
To keep the food-service "as is" on the Builder , just how many dining-cars are necessitated ?

Five, by my calculations, as an absolute minimum assuming no downtime and no sharing with other trains. Six to be safe.

Six minimum on the Zephyr, five minimum on the Chief, 4 Starlight, 3 on the [Orlando] Sunset, 5 on the [daily San Antonio] Eagle, 3 on the Capitol, 2 on the Auto.

Geoff M.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Chief
Member # 2172

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Chief     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sojourner:
I have to say, having just traveled the Empire Builder, that while my food was delicious heading east to west, my full-service food on the west to east was WORSE than the food on the Capitol Ltd and Lakeshore Ltd

Sojurner,
In early May, 2006, I rode the Empire Builder from Seattle to St. Paul and the food was good.

Let's hope you had a rarity rather than a regular as I'm riding again at the end of August.

--------------------
_ _ __ _ _ ŤĦę ĊĦĪĘҒ
_|_|_|_|_|

Posts: 190 | From: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page