RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Coast Starlight disruption - UP wreck

Author Topic: Coast Starlight disruption - UP wreck
RussM
Member # 3627

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RussM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am due to take the Coast Starlight on Saturday from LA, going to Eugene. I saw on the Trainorders website that service was cancelled yesterday, with both 14 and 11 turning back. The chit chat on the message board said the cause was a UP derailment of 38 cars near Klamath Falls. I just called Amtrak, and they told me the problem was a rockslide, and all they needed to do was clear rocks off the track.

Rockslide, Phooey ! I just found a webpage that describes the wreck, and has pictures. Here is the link:

http://www.hobby-tronics.com/trainwreck

Update - 11 AM EDT - Amtrak now says 14 today goes only to SAC, 11 only to EUG, and SAC to LAX.
Hopes to have normal (?) service on Saturday. I hope !

Posts: 133 | From: Canaan, CT | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Judging from the photos, that's a huge "OOPS!"

But why not take the train as far north as KFS, instead of SAC? That's what they've done in the past.

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rY.
Member # 3528

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rY.   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, I guess that's the answer to "can it get any worse?"
Posts: 108 | From: Culver City, CA, US | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rY.:
Wow, I guess that's the answer to "can it get any worse?"

When the kids were growing up this was a question we learned to never ask. We found that when we did, we did not like the answer.
Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zephyr
Member # 1651

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zephyr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had some experience with some monumental "service disruptions."

Amtrak (following is one of my rare compliments to a government bureaucracy) has always got me "there." Despite derailments, fires, and floods, it's always got me to the end point of my ticket. They've always provided me with alternative means to getting to my destination. Usually by bus (many, many times). At times by cab. And, though I havn't taken them up on it, I've been there when they've offered to (forgive the "f" word) fly people to their destinations.

The point: Amtrak's policy used to be we'll get you there (by whatever means required). That has been my experience.

But this current Starlight situation?

Is this the first time Amtrak's position has been " Hey, s... happens. We'll dump you off at X, and it's up to you to get to Y. Ain't our responsibility, no matter what your ticket says?"

Have any forum members, in your rail travels, ever experienced this "stranding" policy?

Posts: 445 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by zephyr:

Have any forum members, in your rail travels, ever experienced this "Hey, Bud, we got you to 'here', now you're on your own to get to 'there'" position?"

To put it in more simpler terms, is this the first time Amtrak hasn't honored it's transportation contract to get you 'there'?.

I believe our friend Jonathon had such an experience last year when the tunnel fire occurred near Oakridge. Jonathon was in Seattle at the time, and could only get as far back as Eugene. If I remember correctly he and his dad had to take Greyhound the rest of the way home.

It took a few days before Amtrak established a bus bridge between Eugene and Klamath Falls. In the interim, people like Jonathon were put out on their own. Disgraceful, in my opinion.

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zephyr
Member # 1651

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zephyr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe this "Amtrak stranding" policy can be developed into a new TV reality show.

You know, just dump a trainload of people in a strange place (Eugene, for example, is a strange place). And follow their plight as they try to get to wherever "there" is.

Now, that would be TV worth watching.

Posts: 445 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Chief
Member # 2172

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Chief     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Service Alert: Coast Starlight - Full Service Restored to Coast Starlight Route Saturday, July 29

Updated 8 p.m. ET, Friday, July 28, 2006

All Amtrak Coast Starlight service resumes normal operation beginning with train 11 departing Seattle on Saturday July 29, and train 14 departing Los Angeles on Saturday July 29, 2006. This service was temporarily interrupted due to Union Pacific freight derailment, north of Klamath Falls, Oregon on Thursday, July 27.

--------------------
_ _ __ _ _ ŤĦę ĊĦĪĘҒ
_|_|_|_|_|

Posts: 190 | From: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MDRR
Member # 2992

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MDRR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unfortunately, this is an example of a corporate policy adopted a couple years ago, that basically curtails any effort to provide alternate transportation except for trains already enroute. This is another corporate policy designed to make Amtrak more fiscally "responsible".....
Posts: 332 | From: Long Island, NY USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page