RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Increased Security at CHI

Author Topic: Increased Security at CHI
rtabern
Member # 4306

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rtabern   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was at Chicago Union Station on Saturday and saw a dramatic increase in security. They wouldn't let anyone back to the gate area without a ticket. They had police and Amtrak employees standing at the glass doors right between the Hertz counter and the place with you enter the area by where the time tables are and the metropolitan lounge. I guess this is a good thing, but the line was pretty long. Some folks even missed their 7:50am train to Michigan because they weren't expecting the long line. So, heads up, leave early!

Also, my train coming in was very late last night... egh, should I say early this morning?
(#22 Texas Eagle). We got in around 12:30am and they had police all over the place -- which was something I never saw before. They only let people exit out of 1 entrance (Canal St.) and wouldn't let you in the Great Hall.

Interesting, but probably needed changes in these times.

Posts: 100 | From: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rY.
Member # 3528

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rY.   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Interesting, but probably needed changes in these times.
How is limiting the station exit a needed change?
Posts: 108 | From: Culver City, CA, US | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, the terrorists win again. Shocking.
Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rtabern
Member # 4306

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rtabern   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, maybe limiting exits isn't a needed change... however, it cut down on "non-passengers" sleeping at the station overnight
Posts: 100 | From: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MontanaJim
Member # 2323

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MontanaJim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i noticed a few more police at union station in dc right after the plot to blow up the planes a week or two ago was foiled. Now things are about back to normal though.
Posts: 416 | From: St. Albans, Vermont | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page