RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » F59 mileage

Author Topic: F59 mileage
E
Member # 4521

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for E     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had come across that an F59 pulling 5 coaches would use about 200 gallons of fuel between LA and San Diego. Doing the math: 5 coaches x 80 people per coach = 400 people. 400 people / 200 gallons = half gallon of fuel per person / 120 miles for the trip, equals the equivelent of 240 mpg for each person. I don't understand why the government resists public funding of passenger rail when the fuel efficiency is that high.
Posts: 1 | From: Illinois | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
delvyrails
Member # 4205

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for delvyrails     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isn't that a best-case scenario? Honestly, how many Amtrak trains carry 400 passengers?

Here are the observed figures from the NARP plan: Long distance trains=181 passenger miles per train mile; NEC regional=163; Acela=178; Midwest Corridors=89; West Coast Corridors=101; System average=157.

--------------------
John Pawson

Posts: 137 | From: Willow Grove, PA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rY.
Member # 3528

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rY.   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If we divide E's figure by a factor of 4, that's still 60MPG, which is better than my Prius does on an LA-to-San Diego run!
Posts: 108 | From: Culver City, CA, US | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by E:
I don't understand why the government resists public funding of passenger rail when the fuel efficiency is that high.

Because the party in power thinks conservation is a liberal cause.

Seriously, I don't know if your figures are accurate, but the point is well taken. The Bureau of Transportation Statics (BTS) has a table which shows that Amtrak, on average, uses less energy (in BTUs) per passenger mile than any other mode of transportation, on par with motorcycles. In some years it beat motorcycles.

The Department of Energy had a similar table that until recently had Amtrak as the least energy efficient mode in recent years, but the most efficient several years ago. Some critics jumped on that as "proof" that Amtrak is a bad deal. The DOE has since corrected its figures and Amtrak has posted the proper data here. The latest DOE statistics come fairly close to the BTS figures.

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Bush Admin. has a perfect energy plan. As Stephen Colbert puts it: "Now, there may be an energy crisis. This president has a very forward-thinking energy policy. Why do you think he's down on the ranch cutting that brush all the time? He's trying to create an alternative energy source. By 2008 we will have a mesquite-powered car!"
Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page