RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Anyone Have A New Trip Report? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Anyone Have A New Trip Report?
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't care if you call it a ride or a trip or a journey or an excursion or a train sampler or whatever you prefer.

I'm just curious whether anyone has been out there riding the rails in recent weeks and whether or not they have a report on their 'trip'!

Anyone?

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No rail trips until end of Sept., but just returned from a 3 week tour of New England. Along the way checked out a few rail spots:

In Staunton, Va talked with the Buckingham Branch folks. Will take over dispatching from CSX Dec 21, and no plans to remove signals (saw this mentioned on another site). Business is good.

In Utica and Thenandra, NY saw Adirondack train (not running that day) but station looked good as did the train. You can rent their private car (ex B&O office car) for a day excursion from Utica. Looking at ways to leave it at Theandra for an overnight.

Saw a great railroad exhibit at the Shelburne museum near Burlington, Vt. The paper there had articles and editorial (positive) about Amtrak getting DMU cars for the Vermonter. According to the caretaker in White River Jct, the Vermonter traffic has increased significantly in past 3 months due to gas price. About 20 a day board there for points south.

According to agent in Portland, Me, the Downeaster contiues to do well and the station there is a good example of good intermodal service. Bus schedule and trains are fully coordinated. Almost made me want to take the bus to some of the coastal towns.

Conway Scenic RR in North Conway, NH had their CN 0-6-0 fired up. Still testing but under steam for only 3 times in past 5 years. Hope to put it back in regular service on the valley train if tests ok.

Sad news in Baltimore. My favorite hobby store, Kleins, is closing due to city 'progress'. May find another location.

Ready to sit still for a few days now.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keep us posted on Kleins. I dated a girl from Baltimore during my graduate school days. Best thing that came out of that relationship was my introduction to Kleins.

It would be a shame to lose it.

--------------------
David Pressley

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wayne72145
Member # 4503

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for wayne72145     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can give you a trip report on Wednesday. I'm taking the Cascades from Eugene to Tacoma tomorrow morning, going to the ball game and taking the Coast Starlight back on Tuesday. I'm trying to get a friend interested in train travel so I can have someone to ride the rails with.
Posts: 139 | From: myrtle creek oregon | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I finished my Coast Starlight trip report from this Spring a few weeks ago and am in the process of uploading a few videos. I also cannot upload the trip report right now because Trainweb hosting is not working properly again. Hopefully it will be up soon.
Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judy McFarland
Member # 4435

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judy McFarland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll have a report the end of September. I'm probably an idiot, but I changed my itinerary to include the "Starlate" all the way from LAX to SEA (instead of getting off in EMY & heading home on the CZ). I did, however, extend the trip an extra night in Seattle in case the first night there starts 5-6 hours late. Whole trip will be MKE-CHI-LAX-SEA-MKE over 2 weeks starting 9/14. Sleepers all the way - everything but SEA-MKE courtesy of Guest Reward points.
Posts: 337 | From: Goshen, IN | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graynt
Member # 17

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for graynt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I m spending a week on the rails starting Labor Day. Sleeper on the Coast Star-late to LA. I m hoping for another very late arrival so I can spend the night in the sleeper. Then I m connecting with the Sunset to New Orleans and early the next morning picking up the Crescent to New York.

One full week on the train..no hotels. Im banking on a late #2 arrival in New Orleans so I can hang out until the Crescent leaves..otherwise if its close to on time I ll spend the evening on Bourbon Street. All sleepers.

Posts: 176 | From: Bloomsburg Pa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liberty Limited
Member # 4300

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Liberty Limited   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hoping to have three trips in the next 6 weeks. Two are paid for, one is just a short hop...

Mid Late September will be the big one - From Baltimore to Chicago on the Cardinal, there for three days, and then returning on the Capitol Limited to Pittsburgh for a one day stay over, then finally back to Baltimore via the Pennsylvanian and Corridor Regional. May get a Hiawatha hop in there as well.

Early October, will be doing an extended daytrip out to Cleveland on Southwest, returning on the Capitol Limited to Regional.

Also hope to be taking a RT to DC on Regionals this Saturday.

--------------------
History of Baltimore and Baltimore Transit - Visit http://www.btco.net !

Posts: 86 | From: Baltimore | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by graynt:
I m spending a week on the rails starting Labor Day. Sleeper on the Coast Star-late to LA. I m hoping for another very late arrival so I can spend the night in the sleeper. Then I m connecting with the Sunset to New Orleans and early the next morning picking up the Crescent to New York.

One full week on the train..no hotels. Im banking on a late #2 arrival in New Orleans so I can hang out until the Crescent leaves..otherwise if its close to on time I ll spend the evening on Bourbon Street. All sleepers.

For an instant I took your post to mean that you anticipated spending a full week on the Star-Late alone!

--------------------
David Pressley

PaulB
Member # 4258

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for PaulB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I rode the Amtrak Dome operating on a Surfliner this past Thursday. I rode from LA-Anaheim. Great trip! What made it great was the camaraderie inside, making it feel like a true lounge on a long-distance train. The train left at 4:05PM, so we had a lot of evening Metrolink commuters. I liked listening to their friendly chatter and offers to buy the other a drink.
Posts: 286 | From: Knee deep in the retention tank | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My Trip Report is coming up soon
Posts: 989 | From: DIAMOND BAR CA. U.S. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I appreciate reading other people's reports, so I trust this won't sound too anti-social. Although I travel on Amtrak a couple of dozen times each year (three overnight round trips during the past three weeks alone, two for business and one for pleasure), I never write trip reports.

To tell you the truth, I'm too busy looking out of the window. I find it way too distracting to scribble down the sort of details that many people on this forum seem to expect (whether the traveler had French Toast for breakfast, how late the train arrived, how many engines were up front, what kind of paint job adorned the side of the car, etc.).

So I tip my hat to those who love to write their reports. And I will remain a faithful reader.

--------------------------------------------

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmwnc1959
Member # 2803

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmwnc1959     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dilly:
...To tell you the truth, I'm too busy looking out of the window, and find it way too distracting to scribble down the sort of details that many people on this forum seem to expect (whether the traveler had French Toast for breakfast, how late the train arrived, how many engines were up front, what kind of paint job adorned the side of the car, etc.).

After 10-12,000 miles a year on Amtrak for the last seveal years, I'm the same way...

I'm plugged into some Michael Jones 'Narada' and zoned out to the world's problems, totally mesmerized by the passing scenery outside the window I am sitting at.

P.S. I too find reading other's trips reports quite fascinating so keep them coming!!! [Smile]

--------------------
The best part of life is the journey, not the destination.

Posts: 497 | From: Clarksburg, West Virginia | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David (and others) - our trip report has been submitted to Train Web, and Steve Grande and the Staff are currently planning on posting it soon -- I'll let everyone know as soon as they get it posted!

--Rich K

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liberty Limited
Member # 4300

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Liberty Limited   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Saturday mini-trip (BAL-WAS-BAL) is booked, and I decided to do something for the first time on the return trip - the Acela Express. Will be sure to take as many pix as I can and report back.

--------------------

Posts: 86 | From: Baltimore | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On my web site there are` always` recent trip reports found at:
http://www.trainweb.org/chris

Chris

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jenyum
Member # 4533

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jenyum     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started a thread "The Coast Starlight - My Letter to Amtrak" about a trip I took on the Coast starlight from Tacoma to Emeryville and back, 8/14-15 and 8/29-21.
Posts: 6 | From: Tacoma, WA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by chrisg:
On my web site there are` always` recent trip reports found at:
http://www.trainweb.org/chris

Chris

I've read many of your reports Chris. They are a great resource when planning trips......especially when looking for decent but economical hotels between trains!

Having seen your reports from WV, PA, and MD this summer I hope that your travels someday bring you to the Tennessee Valley Railway for one of their all-day Autumn Leaf Special excursions.

--------------------
David Pressley

notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by jenyum:
I started a thread "The Coast Starlight - My Letter to Amtrak" about a trip I took on the Coast starlight from Tacoma to Emeryville and back, 8/14-15 and 8/29-21.

I read your thread and agonized with you. I'm encouraging my daughter (11 months old and getting more wiggly every day) towards rail travel with short tourist train rides for now....nothing more than 90 minutes or so. While I'd love nothing more than a train ride to see the in-laws in Florida, timekeeping on the two Silver Service trains is nearly as bad as on the Coast Starlight. I'd take that risk myself but not with my wife and daughter just yet.

--------------------
David Pressley

jenyum
Member # 4533

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jenyum     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by notelvis:
I read your thread and agonized with you. I'm encouraging my daughter (11 months old and getting more wiggly every day) towards rail travel with short tourist train rides for now....nothing more than 90 minutes or so. While I'd love nothing more than a train ride to see the in-laws in Florida, timekeeping on the two Silver Service trains is nearly as bad as on the Coast Starlight. I'd take that risk myself but not with my wife and daughter just yet. [/QB]

I knew that it would be difficult, but it was less than a third the cost of flying, now that I have to buy three full-price air tickets. We moved to Tacoma from Oakland two years ago and I haven't been able to get back for a visit since. I prepared as best I could with snacks and games and books, but I wasn't prepared for some of the externally-supplied nastiness we encountered.

Now I know from reading this forum that food is included with a sleeper car and that Amtrak is cutting deals with some coast starlight passengers if they call about a sleeper. If I ever had to do it again I would not do coach, or I just wouldn't go.

Posts: 6 | From: Tacoma, WA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ehbowen
Member # 4317

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ehbowen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In May, my extended family (mom, dad, sis, BIL, and six nieces/nephews age 1-13) got back from a round trip to LA and Disneyland on the Sunset Limited. By booking early, we got four roomettes and the family bedroom for just about the same price as nonrefundable air travel ($3500 for five adults/six children). The sleeping accommodations (and the prepaid meals) made the difference between an enjoyable trip and what would have been a two-day nightmare. We were late, both ways, but even so my sister is ready to do it again.

--------------------
--------Eric H. Bowen

Stop by my website: Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables of the great trains of the past!

Posts: 413 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CHI_Amtrak_Fan
Member # 4004

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CHI_Amtrak_Fan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please check out my latest trip report!

Part 1 of 4 Trip Report July 2006

Cheers,
David Z
Chicago, IL

Posts: 39 | From: Chicago | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
david, have you read the reports on On Track On Line? If not there are some very interesting ones.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by train lady:
david, have you read the reports on On Track On Line? If not there are some very interesting ones.

I have not - Thanks for the lead. I may have time to take a look at those soon.....once we get past the blur of beginning a new school year.

--------------------
David Pressley

MontanaJim
Member # 2323

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MontanaJim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just a short note on my recent trip. I just got back to DC from Atlanta. Took the Crescent down there from nyc penn station on the 20th-21st.

Well I guess the trip was exciting because the train not only arrived in Atlanta on time, but was 15 minutes early! we were pretty much on time the whole way, once in a while falling behind 15-20 minutes.

I didnt get a chance to eat in the dining car because I like to spend most of my time looking out the window, but I did get a cheeseburger, oatmeal cookie, and an oj from the lounge car. Ill have to say that food was darn good. Ive had the oatmeal raisin cookies on the train before (I think the name on the package is mrs goodcookie or something) and its the best oatmeal raisin cookie ive ever had (ive never eaten a fresh baked one before, but these sure taste almost like it I guess). And the cheeseburger, surprisingly, was darn good too. Of course, for $5.25, I guess it had better be. It was about the size of two mcdonalds doublecheeseburgers, and the beef seemed better quality.

I enjoyed looking out at the virginia countryside. (I live in DC and dont have a car, so I relish seeing the farms and small towns when I travel). Early morning going through Georgia was nice too.

I did see that the diner was a heritage diner. Looked like only half the car had windows. I guess thats because the other half is the kitchen. I wonder if everyone eating in the diner gets a seat next to a window? Does anyone know how old these heritage cars are? Next time I take a train with a heritage, ill have a meal in the diner. maybe it will feel like eating in the train diners of the 1950's?

I enjoyed my Braves games in Atlanta too (Im a Braves fan, too bad this year isnt their year). All in all a good trip.

Posts: 416 | From: St. Albans, Vermont | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MontanaJim
Member # 2323

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MontanaJim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone who hasnt taken a trip recently or even ones who have can check out some videos of amtrak trains at youtube.com. Just type in "amtrak" in the search box. Pretty cool!
Posts: 416 | From: St. Albans, Vermont | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liberty Limited
Member # 4300

Rate Member
DC Daytrip...

http://monumentalcity.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=19678#19678

--------------------

sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David's trip report is AWESOME! Check it out. I'm looking forward to the next parts already. Anybody who brings along their own pre-chilled champers is my kind of traveler!

Frank in, of course, Sunny SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree Frank. I sent him an email complimenting him and asked when the Coast Starlight portion is coming. As you all know, that is the first LD trip I have planned, coming up in only a month. He said he would have it out in the next week or so. He also has beautiful photos of his trips on his web site.
By the way, my friends plan to take us to Union Station for our trip and take the CS to SBA for a one night stay and then return home. Any suggestions for them - hotel in walking distance for lady who uses a cane, dining, etc.?

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vicki--

Lots of good suggestions are on the website www.carfreesantabarbara.org . I believe they currently have a special code for a two for one railfare deal.

We always send folks to the El Prado Motor Inn at State and Arrellaga. The 25 cent shuttle will almost get you there but with mobility issues a cab would be a better bet. Cantwell's Market across the street has a good deli and there is an IHOP a block up State Street.

The Hotel Santa Barbara is closer to the station but the area can get noisy at night especially on weekends.

Lots of expensive hotels on Cabrillo Blvd and the original Motel 6 nearby.

There are great, non-touristy places to eat. Current favorites are Savoy Truffle, Moby Dick on the wharf but only for the "2-2-2" breakfast special weekdays between 7 and 9AM, the Chinese place at Chapala and Anapamu. Also Spice Avenue on State Street for Indian food.

The only remaining "Sambo's" is on Cabrillo owned by a grandson of one of the founders of the chain. He also has Chad's on Chapala.

A long time favorite, Fresco, has opened a second restaurant at the Santa Barbara Inn where Citronelle was. It's called Fresco at the Beach. More expensive than the original but I'd bet it's good.

And remember that the Egg McMuffin was invented here and is served at all the local McDonald's. I just heard a radio interview with Herb Petersen who came up with the idea and who, at 86, still is an active part of running all the local outlets. His license plate used to be EggMc1.

I hope that this helps.

Frank in Sunny SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
I got the url wrong. It's www.santabarbaracarfree.org and the deal is 20% off, not two for one. Sorry. I typed in haste.

Frank in still Sunny SBA

HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for all the good info Frank. I will forward to my friend. She is as crazy as I am about preparing ahead, etc. She will appreciate the info. They are indeed using the 20% off plan, at least one way. But they wanted to ride north on the CS with us. We will have a sleeper - do you know if they will be able to just come and check our roomette out? They are traveling with us in January on the Sunset Limited so this will be the orientation to LD trains.

--------------------

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ehbowen
Member # 4317

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ehbowen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HopefulRailUser:
Thanks for all the good info Frank. I will forward to my friend. She is as crazy as I am about preparing ahead, etc. She will appreciate the info. They are indeed using the 20% off plan, at least one way. But they wanted to ride north on the CS with us. We will have a sleeper - do you know if they will be able to just come and check our roomette out? They are traveling with us in January on the Sunset Limited so this will be the orientation to LD trains.

My understanding is that Amtrak is clamping down on last-minute impromptu "sharing" of sleeping accommodations by passengers who are not on the sleeping car manifest (i.e., were not ticketed as sleeper passengers). If you just want to invite them up to check out your room and maybe sit and converse for a half hour or so, nobody will mind--although you should let your car attendant know in advance that you are expecting a guest. But don't try to finagle a free meal for them in the diner if they're not ticketed in the sleeper--Amtrak most definitely frowns upon that.

--------------------
--------Eric H. Bowen

Stop by my website: Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables of the great trains of the past!

Posts: 413 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Eric - they are only going to Santa Barbara from LA, they won't need a meal. I just wanted to show them the roomette. I already warned them that, if there is a parlour car, we would probably head there and it would not be available to them.
Thanks for your input, appreciate anything we can learn.

--------------------

ehbowen
Member # 4317

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by HopefulRailUser:
Eric - they are only going to Santa Barbara from LA, they won't need a meal. I just wanted to show them the roomette. I already warned them that, if there is a parlour car, we would probably head there and it would not be available to them.
Thanks for your input, appreciate anything we can learn.

Sure, sounds like you'll be fine. I understand that the reason for the restrictions is partly post 9/11 security considerations, but mostly because large groups--say 5 or 6 travelers--were booking one roomette between them with all of them saying that they were entitled to free meals. Got real expensive for Amtrak real quick.

--------------------
--------Eric H. Bowen

CHI_Amtrak_Fan
Member # 4004

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CHI_Amtrak_Fan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sbalax:
David's trip report is AWESOME! Check it out. I'm looking forward to the next parts already. Anybody who brings along their own pre-chilled champers is my kind of traveler!

Frank in, of course, Sunny SBA

And that's not all Frank! Think about the other 4 bottle of wine we consumed from Chicago to San Francisco. I totally forgot to mention it in my Part 1.

Speaking of Part 1, why not read Part 2?

Cheers,
David Z

Posts: 39 | From: Chicago | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TBlack
Member # 181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TBlack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David,
It sounds like you're desperate. I did take a trip on several trains from Toronto to Halifax 2 weeks ago. I didn't post a report because:
a. it's Via Rail not Amtrak
b. I'm a lousy writer

If a short report will get you to smiling, I'll give it a try?

Tom Black

Posts: 518 | From: Maynard, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wayne72145
Member # 4503

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for wayne72145     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last week I took a trip from Eugene to Tacoma on the Cascades, went to a ball game and took the Coast Starlight back to Eugene the next day.

I am trying to get my friend interested in train travel because I've worn out my wife traveling all over the country for no reason other than traveling on the train. The Cascades was uneventful but I think I have my friend interested now. He loved the Coast Starlight. It was packed and we were in coach but he didnt seem to mind. Everything he didnt like about the trip ( rude passengers ) is cured by traveling sleeper.

I was surprised at how many people were on the train. I do most of my traveling during the winter and early spring when there arent so many people on the train. Except for the usual delays (2hours late getting to Eugene) it was wonderful.

Posts: 139 | From: myrtle creek oregon | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Read Part 2 of David's trip report. Fantastic!

--------------------

notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by TBlack:
David,
It sounds like you're desperate. I did take a trip on several trains from Toronto to Halifax 2 weeks ago. I didn't post a report because:
a. it's Via Rail not Amtrak
b. I'm a lousy writer

If a short report will get you to smiling, I'll give it a try?

Tom Black

VIA works for me too. I'm in the throes of beginning a new school year and I won't be getting out much for train riding for a few months now......just a little weekend foaming is all!

--------------------
David Pressley

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page