RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Amtrak System Timetable

Author Topic: Amtrak System Timetable
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A couple of years ago, one could visit the Amtrak site and order, by mail, a little booklet called the "Amtrak System Timetable". The booklet contained schedules for all Amtrak trains, station locations, and other information regarding Amtrak train travel. I'm quite sure most all the information is available from the Amtrak web site. However, the booklet was quite useful and handy, especially for sticking in a desk drawer or briefcase for easy reference. The booklet had a nice, colorful fold-out map of the US, depicting all train routes.

I can't seem, going to the Amtrak web site, where the booklet is offered, by mail. Possibly it is no longer available?

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PaulB
Member # 4258

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for PaulB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Amtrak/am2Copy/Title_Image_Copy_Page&cid=1081794201875&c=am2Copy&ssid=175

Check the "Amtrak System Timetable" box.
You can also pick it up at any staffed Amtrak station.

Posts: 286 | From: Knee deep in the retention tank | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gregbkc
Member # 3726

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gregbkc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I picked up a Spring - Fall 2006 copy at Kansas City Union Station a couple weeks ago to help plan a trip. I prefer hardcopy much more than online material.

I also received an Amtrak Vacation guide a few days ago via snail mail which was very nice and had lots of helpful information (including car layouts).

I'm traveling from KCY to FUL in a roomette Wednesday night free of charge thanks to AGW. Can hardly wait to go!

Posts: 34 | From: Kansas City, MO | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jenyum
Member # 4533

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jenyum     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I picked one up at the train station in EMY. It is not even remotely accurate for the Coast Starlight but might be useful for other routes. The information on the website is more up to date, but I think you can still get the paper schedules at some stations. (they didn't have any in Tacoma or in Klamath Falls, where we had an unscheduled three hour delay)
Posts: 6 | From: Tacoma, WA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks very much. I took the link from Paul's post and ordered the timetable. Thanks Paul and Greg; one of these days I will have to figure out how to navigate the Amtrak web site! I finally figured out you click the "Traveling with Amtrak", at the top, then go to "Before You Ride" to get to the "Ordering and Contacting Our Publications" section.

There was another publication, listed, you can order called "Amtrak America 2005/2006". Is that also a good one to pick up?

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 4508

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1702     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by yukon11:
Thanks very much. I took the link from Paul's post and ordered the timetable. Thanks Paul and Greg; one of these days I will have to figure out how to navigate the Amtrak web site! I finally figured out you click the "Traveling with Amtrak", at the top, then go to "Before You Ride" to get to the "Ordering and Contacting Our Publications" section

Richard

If you use the "Search" feature, typing in "order timetable" or "timetable" gives you various topics, among them ordering publications.

Our friends to the North, VIA Rail, don't seem to have any way of ordering a TT on their site.

Posts: 73 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
I think trying to navigate the Amtrak site is a cakewalk, compared with trying to find things on the VIA Rail website.

Last winter, I was thinking of a summer trip from Vancouver, BC, to Jasper, Alb. My plan was to head to Jasper on the Rocky Mountaineer, then back on the VIA train. I needed schedules and timetables, but nothing but problems when trying to navigate the VIA web site. What a conundrum!

After clicking "English"..I got their home page. I could not find anything regarding "timetables" listed in the left column. Finally..I clicked "Plan Your Journey". Then "Schedules", bringing you to a new screen. To get timetables, you click "Schedules in PDF Format". Finally, I was able to check out the schedules/timetables for various trains. If you click "Schedules" instead of "Schedule in PDF Format", you get the boxes to enter information on your train, dates, etc, but what I was looking for was a real timetable. Then, I discovered a shortcut. On the left column, opening page, is a field called "Documents and Photos". I wouldn't normally figure this is where to find timetables, but if you click it you can then go straight to "Schedules in PDF Format".

I picked the "Toronto to Winipeg to Jasper to Vancouver" train. Finally, the timetables. Below each column, is "Days" (something I didn't see, at first). As the Canadian runs, each way, 3x a week, it tells you what days it leaves the initial city in the column. For example, in the timetable column for Winnipeg heading west, it says "Days 3,5, & 7"). I normally think of Sunday as the 1st day of the week, but VIA thinks it is Monday. So, the Canadian leaves Winnipeg on Wed, Fri, & Sun. It then gets into Jasper, heading to Vancouver, on days 4, 6, & 1 (Thurs, Sat, & Monday). Now all I had to do with coordinate this with the Rocky Mountaineer, which also leaves just 3 days a week in each direction, from Jasper to Vancouver.

If they can put out a system timetable, for the VIA, in booklet form as "1702" (above) suggests, that would be great. I spent some time trying to see if you could order a timetable/schedule hard copy booklet, from VIA, but I could not find information suggesting such is available. If you have more luck, please post. I'm sure it would be a fun thing to have available.

Richard

http://www.viarail.ca/

SubwayNut
Member # 3948

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SubwayNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did get hard copies of all the VIA Rail (a system timetable booklet and brocures about every one of their routes) Literature (for my collection not because I'm Planning) about a year ago simply by sending them an e-mail through the contact-us link on their website with my adress. This was also after I asked at the Amtrak Information booth in Penn Station thinking they would carry it (but they don't), since two trains from NYP do go to Canada and one is jointly operated with VIA.
Posts: 38 | From: Manhattan, NY/Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stlboomer
Member # 2028

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for stlboomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The USPS mail sorting system is not friendly to Amtrak system timetables. I ordered one last spring, but what I recieved was an envelope from the USPS with apologies for shredding my mail. Inside was nothing but a chewed-up timetable cover. This fall I'll go down to the station for a copy.
Posts: 103 | From: St. Louis, MO USA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pojon
Member # 3080

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pojon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's the big deal!!?? Just call up Amtrak (1 800-usa-rail) and ask an operator to send to you the system timetable. You will receive it in about 10 days. Do the same for VIA Rail Canada. You will receive it from them in 2 weeks. I did both!
Posts: 287 | From: Palatka, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David
Member # 3

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for David     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although I am a keen booster of VIA Rail services, I concede their Website should be easier to navigate. There is a wealth of information there, but sometimes it seems hidden. For example, all menus for dining cars and VIA 1 (first class at-your-seat meal service)are on the Website, but not very easy to find.

As for numbering the days of the week, most of the transportation world considers Monday the first day of the week. I realise calendars in Canada and the USA show Sunday as the first day of the week, but that makes no sense. Saturday and Sunday are known to all as the "week-end" so the fact that they are considered days 6 & 7 is quite logical. Most European calendars will show Monday as the first day of the week, although one of the British railway calendars I am looking at right now regrettably shows Sunday as the first day of the week.

Posts: 216 | From: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page