RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Assigned seating

Author Topic: Assigned seating
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was looking at the Via Rail web site and came across this notice. Do you think Amtrak will ever have the ability to do this. Would certainly make it easier to get good seats. Feature trains pre Amtrak always had this option and I often wondered why it disappeared with computers now handling reservations.

"Assigned seating on more departures
Assigned seating is available on an ever-increasing number of departures. Assigned seating means your places onboard will be reserved in advance. It also allows you to choose an aisle or window seat, while guaranteeing that all members of your party will be seated together"

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 4508

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1702     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A couple of reasons come to mind regarding computer-assigned seating on LD trains. When I started with Amtrak 20 years ago, the western LD trains had at least 3 variations of the Superliner coaches as well as the ex-ATSF Hi-Level coaches.
In the Superliners, there were the coaches with lower level seating, the high-density-seating coach/baggages, & the coaches with the lower lounge conversion. It was like Forrest Gump's box of chocolates, you never knew what you were going to get! Obviously, 20 years later, the Hi-Levels are gone from the LD trains & the coach-baggages have long since been retrofitted with normal density coach seating. The "panic box" coach/lounges are still out there. Over the years Amtrak didn't maintain any consistency that I saw in standardizing consists, other than the quantity of coaches on a particular train. Pretty difficult to computer-assign seats under those conditions.

I've always thought it was also a conscious decision not to computer-assign to avoid having potential customers decide not to travel Amtrak, especially during summer & holiday periods, because the system couldn't get them seats together, window seats, etc.

Posts: 73 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the early days of Amtrak seats were assigned. It was a total mess. Some seats were assigned to more than one person and it was a problem getting it straightened out once on board. I don't remember what the other problems were but I do know it was a relief when the pradtice was stopped. When we moved to sleepers I lost track of what was/is happening in coach
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If Amtrak can't handle assigned seating in coach, I would think they should be able to do so in business class. Would be an added incentive for paying extra - so you could get the single seat side in cars with 2/1 seating or a window.

I agree it would be difficult to manage for most LD trains but should work on the corridors with business class. We'll be in a bedroom on the EB next month and connect next day to the Cascade service business class to Vancouver. Would be nice to be able to reserve 2 seats on the puget sound side.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The last time I rode the Cascades they did assign seats in B/C when you checked in. Early birds got the best seats. Not so on Acela in First.

Frank in sunny SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It would be great to have assigned seating in business class. BTW do they still have 2/1 seating? The last 5-6 trips to Ct. they were the same old coaches.
speaking about business class I know this is a litttle off the thread buthas anyone noticed there seems to be a big difference in what the various club car attendents consider the free drinks. Some say only coffee and juice,others add tea, the last one I encountered said only pepsi diet not any of the others.

Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I seem to recall that on our first Starlight trip in 1974, we had assigned seats. It was the only time we had them, though. On numerous subsequent trips over the next four years it was open seating.
Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MDRR
Member # 2992

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MDRR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Train Lady, unortunately, none of the through trains between Wash. DC and Boston currently have the "split clubs" the operate on a few of the DC to NY train as well as Vermonter, Empire service, and Portland Maine service to name a few on the East Coast. Also regarding the beverage selection, unfortunately Amtrak is very vague in terms of any guidelines regarding what exactly is offered. They provide certain kinds of soda and juices, to be offered, but other items are not supplied to the attendant on a comp. basis, thus creates a lot of paperwork
for the attendant to avoid having to pay out of his/her pocket. Hope this helps to explain the variances in the experiences you as a passenger encounter.

Posts: 332 | From: Long Island, NY USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
abefroman329
Member # 3986

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for abefroman329     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MDRR:
They provide certain kinds of soda and juices, to be offered, but other items are not supplied to the attendant on a comp. basis, thus creates a lot of paperwork
for the attendant to avoid having to pay out of his/her pocket.

The whole system is bizarre; I was on a Regional once, tried to buy one of those 8 oz. cans of Sierra Mist and was told I couldn't!

As far as assigned seating, they seem to have managed in the UK quite nicely. I don't know if they have anything as advanced as being able to select seats online, though.

Posts: 76 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TBlack
Member # 181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TBlack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Palmland,

I took a Via Rail trip a couple of weeks ago which included several legs, part of which was Toronto to Montreal and Montreal to Quebec City. Yes we had assigned seats and we were all together (4 of us), but I wasn't given the option of picking the seats. That was all done for me by Via Rail. Fortunately, with 4 you get 2 aisles and 2 windows so we could mix and match successfully. What you do avoid with this system is the general rush at loading time to stake out your space.

Posts: 518 | From: Maynard, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MDRR
Member # 2992

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MDRR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regarding abefroman's experience with the smaller soda's, that is correct. those are items issued to the attendant on a comp basis and there is no easy way to account for the sale of one given the F&B accounting system Amtrak employs.

Regarding assigned seating, As TBlack mentions, Viarail handles it quite efficiently and pretty successfully, however their passengers are used to the system. Amtrak attempted it with the First Class service on the Acela's however, after about one year they gave up due to resistance/ complaints by the passengers.

Posts: 332 | From: Long Island, NY USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It can be done if they really want to. I know nothing about the system used here, except that it works. The Taiwan Railway runs about 200 plus trains with reserved seating in three classes, and all I have to do is walk up to the ticket window with a train time or train number and destination, and in a matter of seconds will be given a ticket with a car number and seat number on it, or be told no seats available, in which case I can go for another train, or buy a ticket without a seat assignment. They do not prohibit standees. There are no fare games either, which makes life easier for all. I know exactly what I am going to pay for a given class of train to a given location. No "Turkish Bazaar" trying to come up with a price. This can also be done online, but I do not know enough Chinese to manage it.
Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
MDRR, thanks for the explanation. It seems to me it would be logical for Amtrak to have a set policy on the drinks for business class. But there are times when I think logic is far beyond management. It would be a lot easier if one knew in advance just what business class entailed. Some trains have blanket, others don't. some have attendents others don't. If you are lucky most of the conductors will help with your luggage. On the Palmetto there was an attendent who gave us blankets and pillows, bottles of water, and had juices available in the rear of the car. It would be nice to have some consistancy.
David
Member # 3

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for David     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
VIA does not assign coach (called Comfort Class)seats on long distance trains, only some of those in the "corridor." First Class seats (VIA 1 Class) have been pre-assigned for many years now. Seat selection is not available on-line, but if you don't like the seats assigned by the computer you can always phone VIA to have them changed.

The following is from VIA's Website:

In VIA 1 class, seat assignment is always available on ALL trains.

In Comfort class, seat assignment is available on the following trains:
Between Montreal and Toronto: In Comfort class, you will be allotted assigned places for trains Nos 64 and 65, leaving Toronto and Montreal daily (trains leaving at 15:40) and for the express trains Nos 66 and 67 (departure at 17:00 in both directions).

Between Ottawa and Toronto: In Comfort class, seats will be assigned aboard trains No. 44 (leaving Toronto at 12:35) and No. 47 (leaving Ottawa at 16:50). Both these trains run daily, except on Saturdays.

Between Ottawa and Montréal: You will get assigned seats on all of these trains, in any class of service.

Between Montréal and Québec City: You will get seats on all of these trains, in any class of service. The cars on these trains include a row of single seats. If you plan on travelling alone or if you purchase your tickets individually, the system will automatically assign you one of these single seats.

Posts: 216 | From: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page