RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » deployment schedule for refurbished superliners

Author Topic: deployment schedule for refurbished superliners
eldee
Member # 4544

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for eldee         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
folks,

apologies if this has been addressed previously, but does anyone the deployment schedule for refurbished superliner sleepers/diners outside of the empire builder? i noticed that several travelers have noted consists for the sunset limited and california zephyr have had a few of these cars on specific trips.

does amtrak plan to eventually roll out refurbished superliners (to the same standard as those found on the empire builder) across the western long-distance trains? or will it be only the empire builder for the forseeable future?

thanks in advance for your replies.

-- eldee

Posts: 5 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Lounge cars being used on the Empire Builder are also on many Coast Starlight trains, and I believe the Sunset Limited uses those as well. As for the full refurbished Sleeping Cars, I have only seen one on the Coast Starlight. It is rather common though to see Superliner I/II car with the new blue seats even if the bathroom, etc. is not refurbished at all.
Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eldee
Member # 4544

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for eldee         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
that's the sort of anecdotal evidence i've been seeing on this board and others every now and again, and is good to know the lounges are being placed elsewhere.

i'm curious, though, if the full sleeper refurbishment is planned for all superliner sleepers across the western long-distance trains, or just the empire builder, and spares find their way on other trains when there is a shortage.

-- eldee

Posts: 5 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MDRR
Member # 2992

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MDRR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The new lounges and sleepers have been on the Capital and the SWC as well. I think they end up wherever cars are needed, with the "dedicated to EB" being a great theory but not reality.
Posts: 332 | From: Long Island, NY USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Chief
Member # 2172

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Chief     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
eldee,
Amtrak estimates that 53 percent of its passenger cars "will be in a state of good repair by the end of this fiscal year."

In May, 2006 I rode in the newly refurbished SLI Sleeper 32048 on the Empire Builder and it was sharp. New blue curtains and upholstery, wood grain look "paneling" halfway (and complete) up the hallway walls, new plastic panel ceiling and top bunk undercover, new lights, bathroom, and shower.

FY 2006 Fleet Project Highlights:
  • $46.7 million project
  • overhaul 68 Superliner I cars
  • remanufacture 66 Superliner II cars
  • remanufacture 60 Amfleet I coaches
  • remanufacture 24 Amfleet II coaches
  • convert eight Amfleet II smoker lounge cars to diner/lounges
(see my post about a lounge conversion here:
http://www.railforum.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/11/4052.html#000004
)
Remanufactured Superliners are equipped with new bathroom modules, toilet systems, lighting, carpet and interior walls, along with overhauled bunks and other amenities. All of the car’s components are removed and new/rebuilt parts are installed, often according to a new or updated design.

It would seem with such an ambitious plan, Amtrak would have refurbished Superliner Sleeper rolling stock for most of its LD trains. One can only hope. I wish they would add "fixing the Viewliner coffee makers" to the program. When I rode the Silver Star in June, 2006 (NYC-Miami), both VSleepers did not have working coffee makers.

Locomotive Program Overhaul
  • 35 P-42s
  • 4 P-32s
  • 8 F-59s
  • 2 F-40 cab cars

(Main source for budget & car/loco counts: Amtrak Ink)

--------------------
_ _ __ _ _ ŤĦę ĊĦĪĘҒ
_|_|_|_|_|

Posts: 190 | From: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page