RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » BNSF in Louisiana

Author Topic: BNSF in Louisiana
SunsetLtd
Member # 3985

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SunsetLtd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone know why the Sunsets have been losing so much time on the BNSF in Louisiana?? Todays #1(27) left NOL only 8 mins late only to be 1:46 down in Schriever then 2 and a half down in New Iberia. Is there track work or something going on? BNSF is the last company I would expect that would treat the Sunset poorly, they run everything on-time! Thanks in advance to who replys.

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Amsunset

www.facebook.com/kevinschillinger

Posts: 250 | From: Texas State University-San Marcos, Texas (Hometown El Paso, TX) | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought the Sunset operated on former Southern Pacific (now UP) rails all the way to New Orleans. If that's still the case, there is the cause of your delays in all likelihood.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gp35
Member # 3971

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gp35     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Today I saw a MOW train pass by. Before, 3 hours of no activity maybe more. After the MOW, the parade started. Funny thing.
I see trains with all NS engines, KCS/UP, CSX/BNSF, a lone TFM, NS/UP, that CN red engines, a few unmarked engines(red,blue,black, yellow non-UP), just about every combo you can imagine. Anyone know when BNSF started using the draw bridge. I thought that was UP and KCS only.

Posts: 562 | From: Beaumont Texas | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by notelvis:
I thought the Sunset operated on former Southern Pacific (now UP) rails all the way to New Orleans. If that's still the case, there is the cause of your delays in all likelihood.

Yes, the Sunset still runs the former Southern Pacific route all the way, but it is not all now owned by Union Pacific. As part of the UP takeover of SP, they were required to give BNSF access to certain routes and cities, the one of particular interest for this area being access to New Orleans from Houston over the old SP route. GP35, this is why you see BNSF trains across the KCS drawbridge in Beaumont.

As part of this, the ex SP line between Iowa Junction (mp 205.4) and West Bridge Junction (mp 10.5) was transferred to BNSF ownership. West of Iowa Junction, the BNSF has trackage rights on the ex SP into Houston. For those that are light on knowledge of the names and locations of the various dry spots in the swamps of South Louisiana, here is where these points are: West Bridge Junction is the west end of the tracks leading to the Huey P. Long Bridge across the Mississippi River. The bridge and approach trackage is owned by the New Orleans Public Belt Railroad. Iowa Junction is 14 miles east of Lake Charles LA. It is where the former Missouri Pacific line that ran Little Rock AR - Pine Bluff AR - Monroe LA - Alexandria LA - Lake Charles crossed the Southern Pacific Sunset Route. The source of the name, Iowa Junction, I haven't the foggiest idea.

BNSF uses the name Lafayette Subdivision for this section of track, which is the same as that used by the SP. The UP also uses the same name for the part they kept, even though their part no longer reaches Lafayette. The speed limit on this subdivision is 70P/60F, however there are lots of permanent speed restrictions for curves, drawbridges, etc. There are 5 drawbridges in this section.

George

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
George - as usual, you are a true fountain of knowledge!!! I didn't know that BNSF now owns part of the UP on the Sunset route -- thanks for the info!!!!
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My source is the BNSF Gulf Division Employee's Timetable of January 20, 2002. Also, various posts on another forum by a BNSF engineer talking about running trains on that line.
Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gp35
Member # 3971

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gp35     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about all NS engine trains. That means UP or another railroad is just using NS engines, right?
Posts: 562 | From: Beaumont Texas | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gp35
Member # 3971

Rate Member
Estimated arrival: 5 hours and 19 minutes late.

As of the last report at 11:28 am at Houston, TX (HOS), it was running 5 hours and 13 minutes late.

Late again, so I'll get to see her from my office.

RRCHINA
Member # 1514

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRCHINA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who handles the dispatching?
Posts: 467 | From: Prescott, AZ USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In reference to the Sunset Limited #1(24) I can't find out when it got to LAX. The Amtrak site still shows the service disruption that occurred due to the derailment, etc. in Riverside County. Having one blank trip is ruining my impeccable statistics for the month of August. How can we find out the time it arrived on 8/27 (or the actual may have been 8/28, heaven forbid?)

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gp35
Member # 3971

Rate Member
Before I left, I checked the site. Amtrak in Beaumont for 1:17 pm. 1:17 came nothing. The parade was going on. At 2:45 a very very very slow long UP freight, 3mph tops, came chugging across the bridge. I said to myself, I bet Sunset is behind that train.
Sure enough, Sunset was 10 minutes behind. UP did that on purpose.

SunsetLtd
Member # 3985

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SunsetLtd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HopefulRailUser:
In reference to the Sunset Limited #1(24) I can't find out when it got to LAX. The Amtrak site still shows the service disruption that occurred due to the derailment, etc. in Riverside County. Having one blank trip is ruining my impeccable statistics for the month of August. How can we find out the time it arrived on 8/27 (or the actual may have been 8/28, heaven forbid?)

Try typing #421. The eagle thru-cars that lists an arrival in LA.

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Amsunset

Posts: 250 | From: Texas State University-San Marcos, Texas (Hometown El Paso, TX) | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by RRCHINA:
Who handles the dispatching?

NOPB between New Orleans Station and West Bridge Junction
Yard limits West Bridge Junction to mp 14.8 controlled by BNSF ? ?
Crossovers at mp14.8 controlled by UP dispatcher
BNSF mp14.8 to Iowa Junction
UP Iowa Junction and west thereof.

HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sunset, thanks for the tip to use #421, it worked and I found out it came in 9+ hours late.

--------------------

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by gp35:
UP did that on purpose.

Really? So you must have been standing behind the dispatcher when he did that then?

Geoff M.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gp35
Member # 3971

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Geoff M:
quote:
Originally posted by gp35:
UP did that on purpose.

Really? So you must have been standing behind the dispatcher when he did that then?

Geoff M.

I was kidding.
RRCHINA
Member # 1514

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRCHINA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Mr Harris for the dispatching info. Perhaps the multiple dispatching assignments have and effect on the fluidity.
Posts: 467 | From: Prescott, AZ USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Here I am again with questions. I have noted on the train orders board that a washout which could not be fixed soon enough resulted in the #1(27) being terminated in El Paso and the passengers placed in buses. Where are they busing them? Los Angeles??? Are nightime accommodations set up for the people? They say once the line is repaired the equipment will deadhead to LA in hopes of turning around to be #2, I guess on Friday 9/1.
Inquiring minds want to know.

--------------------

SunsetLtd
Member # 3985

Member Rated:
They bussed them to LA on Greyhounds and intermediate points west. Equipment sat here in El Paso till 10 this morning where it was put behind a Z train and high tailed it out of town. There was a MAJOR washout around Deming. El Paso's hurricane has returned and many residents are either fleeing town tonight early for labor day weekend, or hunting down sandbags to protect their homes. Expect Service Disruptions on #1 and #2 or severe delays. Just wanted to for warn you guys if the status shows up like that.

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Amsunset

HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
How do they handle the overnights when they have to bus the passengers?

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page