RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Recent trip on #3, and Cumbres & Toltec

Author Topic: Recent trip on #3, and Cumbres & Toltec
RussM
Member # 3627

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RussM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just returned from a two week trip to California that included a Chicago/Los Angeles leg on the Southwest Chief #3(29). On the rear we had two cars from Northern Sky Rail Charters, a dome/sleeper/diner, and a lounge/sleeper. They appeared to be traveling with crew only. #3 ran on time most of the route, and arrived in LA only one hour late. Love that BNSF !

On my return trip, I stopped in ABQ, and drove up to Chama, NM to take the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad. What a great excursion ! Locomotive was a Baldwin K36 (2-8-2) narrow gauge, originally built for the Denver & Rio Grande Western. Especially liked the open air car, which was great for photography. The scenery was fabulous - better than the Durango & Silverton, in my opinion. At one point, we had a herd of 8 cattle running along the track ahead of the locomotive for about 10 minutes. The train had to slow slightly, but not by much. Even at full throttle, it is a struggle to get up that 4 % grade to the 10,000 foot Cumbres Pass.

Posts: 133 | From: Canaan, CT | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The two best railfan days I have ever spent were both in the open car on the Cumbres & Toltec! I agree that it is preferable to the more famous Durango & Silverton (which I rode in 1997).

I rode the C&T train westbound (Antonito-Chama) in 1999 and was left with such an impression I went back in 2003 and rode it eastbound (Chama-Antonito).

I'm an early riser so I prefer the trip option which has you catch a morning bus from one end of the line to the other and then ride the train back.

Thanks for rekindling the memory......and I'm due for another trip to Chama in 2007 I think!

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page