RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » odds of CA zephry ontime to CHI on 10/31

Author Topic: odds of CA zephry ontime to CHI on 10/31
goldcupmom
Member # 3761

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for goldcupmom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hubby is leaving Burlington IA on zephyr on 10/31 to catch a SW flight back to ABQ on 10/31. He has about a 2.5 hour window to make the change - do you think he will make it? I'm booking hotel just in case as he's on the last flight out.

TIA

Posts: 30 | From: Rio Rancho NM | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CHI_Amtrak_Fan
Member # 4004

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CHI_Amtrak_Fan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would allow 2.5 hours between the arrival time of the California Zephyr and a departure via Southwest at Midway airport even if the train was running on time.

I'm afraid this travel plan requires an overnight stay in Chicago and an early morning flight leaving out of Midway the next day.

David Z
Chicago, IL

Posts: 39 | From: Chicago | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know that not everyone approaches travel plans the way I do, but if I were in or near Burlington, IA and needed to travel to Albuquerque, I think I'd see if I could have someone drive an extra 25 miles and put me on #3 (westbound Southwest Chief) at Ft. Madison.

It's an overnight train ride yes, but with his current plan, an overnight stay in Chicago is probable.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you talking about catching the Zephyr in to Chicago and catching a SW flight from there? If so, my answer is No, I don't think he'll make it.

But Chicago is always nice for an overnight stay!

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do believe the Train God must have been riding with us. Never in the 17 years we went from DC to Denver,San Francisco or Seattle did we miss our connection in either direction in Chicago. It never even dawned on me to make an alternate reservation or plan to stay over in Chicago . There were times we did make it by the skin of our teeth. We were so lucky!
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wayne72145
Member # 4503

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for wayne72145     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was only close once for me---They held the LakeShore Limited for 20 minutes while we came into Chicago very late on the Zephyr---but that is only 5 years traveling Amtrak and about 10 trips into Chicago---Every other time I've came into Chicago within a hour
Posts: 139 | From: myrtle creek oregon | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, I never worry too much about missing a TRAIN connection in Chicago; Amtrak then has to make some kind of accommodation, don't they? But missing a PLANE connection (or worse, a cruise), you likely lose all your money, and that is not good. So I'd leave a cushion of some sort for that.

What I consider when making the train connection in Chicago is how it might affect me down the line. For example, when I booked my loop trip with Zephyr/Coast Starlight/Empire Builder last year, I booked 3 nights in Denver at a hotel that had cancellation up to 6PM day of arrival. If I missed the Chicago connection, I could phone and cancel the first night in Denver and get there one night later, staying only 2 nights, and still be able to continue with the rest of my plans.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rtabern
Member # 4306

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rtabern   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Definetly leave a cushion. I am at Union Station a couple of times a month doing train trips or getting tickets or picking up friends... and keep an eye on when the LD trains come in. ON AVERAGE, I would say the Zephyr is about 4 hours late. You can just count on it not coming in until 6 or 7PM. So be sure to plan just to be safe. I have taken it 3 times over the past year. Once it got into Chicago 1 hour late, the other time it was 9 hours late, the other time it was 6 hours late.
Posts: 100 | From: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 4508

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1702     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by notelvis:
I know that not everyone approaches travel plans the way I do, but if I were in or near Burlington, IA and needed to travel to Albuquerque, I think I'd see if I could have someone drive an extra 25 miles and put me on #3 (westbound Southwest Chief) at Ft. Madison.

It's an overnight train ride yes, but with his current plan, an overnight stay in Chicago is probable.

Unless your husband is locked into a non-refundable airfare, notelvis has the best idea. The Southwest Chief leaves Fort Madison at 657PM, arriving ABQ 405PM(MT)the next day.

IIRC, the minimum advisable domestic flight check-in time is one hour. Unless check-in time is already allowed for, your husband is only giving himself 1 1/2 hours to get from the train to Midway Airport. Doesn't leave much room for late arrival of the Zephyr at the end of its 2438-mile journey.

If the Southwest Chief isn't an option, then I think overnight in CHI is pretty much a given.

Posts: 73 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goldcupmom
Member # 3761

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for goldcupmom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hubby has free airfare from ABQ - CHI and CHI - ABQ, thus the train from CHI - FMD/BRL - CHI. I decided to take a chance on the EB Chief as I'm betting it will be fairly close to ontime. If not, there is backup hotel at midway reserved. He's taking the WB chief into FMD as he has plenty of time for that connection.

thanks all! I knew you would be able to help!!

Posts: 30 | From: Rio Rancho NM | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by goldcupmom:
Hubby has free airfare from ABQ - CHI and CHI - ABQ, thus the train from CHI - FMD/BRL - CHI. I decided to take a chance on the EB Chief as I'm betting it will be fairly close to ontime. If not, there is backup hotel at midway reserved. He's taking the WB chief into FMD as he has plenty of time for that connection.

thanks all! I knew you would be able to help!!

Excellent solution.

While nothing is ever for certain with long-distance rail travel, the eastbound Southwest Chief from Ft. Madison is closer to on-time into Chicago far more often than the eastbound California Zephyr from Burlington.

Glad we could help!

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page