RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » help re san antonio

Author Topic: help re san antonio
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know what San Antonio is like on St Patricks Day now? Esp as this year it will be on a Saturday? I hear they dye the river green--does this (or the type of crowd it draws, I should say) affect enjoyment of the River Walk? And has a lot of the wildness associated with New Orleans Mardi Gras moved to San Antonio for St Patricks Day? If it's just a matter of some spring breakers puking on my shoes, I can avoid them. But if it's going to be too crazy to enjoy the city, or even worse, dangerous crimewise, I don't think I want to get involved, especially since the hotels are surprisingly high in San Antonio. . . .

I was in Savannah a week BEFORE St Patricks Day, and their little River Walk was a tad annoying, crowd and noisewise. I mean, I don't mind crowds--plenty this summer in San Francisco--but it's somewhat unattractive when they are all college-age kids drinking beer and seeming ready to barf. It didn't matter too much in Savannah because there was plenty else to see, but I gather in San Antonio the River Walk is THE thing . . . will it be unpleasant? And the hotel I stayed in in Savannah was VERY noisy. But I didn't mind beause I was with friends. In San Antonio I wouldn't be, though I suppose I could go up and see a friend in Austin . . . but I'd really rather go to Austin on a weekday, not on a Saturday . . . well, what do you all think? Will I get any sleep? Need I worry about getting mugged????

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boyce
Member # 2719

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boyce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It has been years since I went downtown for the St. Patrick's day festivities, but as I understand it other than a small parade there's not much else. The riverwalk is dyed green but you should still enjoy it, the revelry you describe takes place during Fiesta week in April. And being on Saturday means that few locals will be downtown and most people will be tourists.
Posts: 113 | From: San Antonio, Texas,USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page