RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Coast Starlight timekeeping

Author Topic: Coast Starlight timekeeping
Doodlebug
Member # 4564

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doodlebug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It may seem an odd question, but what's gone right with the Coast Starlight? The last couple of days it's been within 20 minutes of its scheduled arrival in San Jose northbound -- and even more miraculously -- southbound.

Do you suppose Amtrak's letter to the Union Pacific had some effect?

Posts: 48 | From: San Jose, Calif. | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beacon Hill
Member # 4431

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beacon Hill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wasn't there also a meeting between Amtrak management and the Union Pacific. Let's imagine what might have happened at that conference. They start with some introductions and warm handshakes then everyone sits around a table. Amtrak begins with a brief and generic history of the Coast Starlight--emphasizing that just a few years ago the Coast Starlight was Amtrak's premier train. Then describe the situation this summer with lots of statistics about train delays, inconvenienced passengers and most importantly, the financial cost to Amtrak caused by the poor running of the Coast Starlight. Also, be sure to correlate each of the problems to the text of the operating agreement between UP and Amtrak. It might also be prudent to mention the federal statutes governing Amtrak's rights and responsibilities, but don't mention litigation or legal action, that would be rude.

In order to keep the friendly tone of the meeting going, move on to a discussion of the future. Explain Amtrak's strategic plan, and explain how Amtrak would like to work with its host railroad partners to modernize rail transport in the 21st century. Show how Amtrak is working to secure funding for infrastructure improvements that benefit both Amtrak and the host railroads. Stress the need for communication between the hosts and Amtrak, make sure that everyone involved knows where to call with questions and ideas. Close the meeting with lots of warm handhakes and let everyone go home with a postive attitude.

Maybe there is hope for our Coast Starlight.

Posts: 78 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RussM
Member # 3627

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RussM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The new Amtrak CEO, Alexander Kummant, took office on Sept. 12th. He was formerly a Vice President of Union Pacific. Maybe that gave him an advantage in dealing with the situation. Of course, we don't know if the recent good performance of the Coast Starlight will last, or if it is just a result of temporary conditions.
Posts: 133 | From: Canaan, CT | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PaulB
Member # 4258

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for PaulB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think there was "one" issue that brought about this change, but a number of different events weighed in:

1. UP's trackwork project in the north is wrapping up for now.
2. Amtrak's letter to UP
3. Bad press for the Coast Starlate
4. Kummant's ties to UP.

Posts: 286 | From: Knee deep in the retention tank | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PaulB:
I don't think there was "one" issue that brought about this change, but a number of different events weighed in:

1. UP's trackwork project in the north is wrapping up for now.
2. Amtrak's letter to UP
3. Bad press for the Coast Starlate
4. Kummant's ties to UP.

I'm thinking number 1 is the greatest single factor.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SunsetLtd
Member # 3985

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SunsetLtd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder if he can do anything about the Sunset's timekeeping as well? Would be nice for it to run the whole route again and be no more that 2 hours late.

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Amsunset

www.facebook.com/kevinschillinger

Posts: 250 | From: Texas State University-San Marcos, Texas (Hometown El Paso, TX) | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Paul, several of those factors have probably played a big role in the improved timekeeping. Tonight #11 is about an hour late and that is the latest I have seen it in weeks. Last night it was early! We all just have to hope this trend continues.
Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Union Paciifc may finally be getting caught up with the maintenance issues on the ex Southern Pacific side. It appears that SP had been near bled dry by the time it was dumped on UP. The SP maintenance people were faily skilled at keeping their railroad together with little more than chewing gum and string, but UP had no clue how to do that and it appears that they fired all the ex SP management that did understand how to make it work. When the UP tried to keep the railroad together UP style, it fell apart. Remember, UP has historically been a well maintained railroad, so their maintenance issues were very different. Now finally, after great expense and considerable public embarassment, UP is beginning get the track to the standard that they understand how to work with. Plus, some of the front line supervisiors may have gotten down off their high horses and learned a few things about how to keep things in poor conditon functional. Just my opinion.
Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David, when you say "UP has finished their trackwork FOR NOW," do you know when it is likely to resume? If I do my trip to the Pacific NW and BC next May, I was thinking of taking the Coast Starlight SOUTH and catching the Zephyr back (instead of the EB), but I don't want to do that if I'm in high danger of bustitution. I don't mind being late or put up for a night some place, but I don't really like buses! Thanks.
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beacon Hill
Member # 4431

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beacon Hill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sojourner--With peak freight season and winter coming soon there most likely won't be any major track work until after the spring thaw. Even then there will have to be survey work done in the spring, so the Starlight should be free to run its course until summer, barring catastrophe.
Posts: 78 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Beacon Hill:
Sojourner--With peak freight season and winter coming soon there most likely won't be any major track work until after the spring thaw. Even then there will have to be survey work done in the spring, so the Starlight should be free to run its course until summer, barring catastrophe.

What he said!!!!!

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is good news to me, because I'm thinking about a trip in about six weeks. Not sure if we have the funds, though. But I see 11/14 are doing quite well most days, at least between Salinas and Salem. Very tempting.....

--------------------
The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Beacon Hill:
major track work until after the spring thaw. Even then there will have to be survey work done in the spring,

As some one who has been there done that, this is not so. Any and all surveying required is supposed to be done before the work is scheduled to start, and that can and frequently does mean before the work season starts. This means getting out there and trying to keep your shivering sufficiently under control that you do not shake the instrument, making sure that your levels are on the ground, not some block of ice buried in the snow, etc. and the main food group consumed at lunch and supper is HOT COFFEE. Also, except in areas where you get significant snow and ground freeze a lot of work does go on year round. Survying can vary form being just ahead of to several months ahead of the actual work, anyway.

George

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page