RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Great Dome is out of service

Author Topic: Great Dome is out of service
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Great Dome went to Portland to be on the 4449 Trip to Bend but in Portland it was bad ordered with 5 cracks on one of the trucks. Estimate cost is $25,000 at least. It will have to be moved to Seattle at 10 mph in order to be worked on. I saw it in Portland and there will be a picture of it in my 4449 Trip Story that will be done I hope by Friday.

Chris

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like our only option for a great dome now will be at the Royal Gorge Scenic RR or on Friends of the 261 excursions. I'm so glad I got several chances to ride the latter one when it was used on the NCDOT Piedmont for only $8.00 over regular coach fare......an absolute bargain!

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is at least one Amtrak current full dome available for private charter:

http://www.aaprco.com/cgi/cars/cardisplay.pl?super-dome:type

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the heads up Chris, I had the chance to ride on the dome from SBA-LAX on 784 a few weeks ago.

Amtrak use to have more, but they have sold them and now only have 10031 which floats around the system.

Dome Car Info from Trainweb

Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rY.
Member # 3528

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rY.   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
$25,000 seems like a lot of money, but I guess there isn't much equipment riding around on three-axle passenger trucks any more. I hope they can find the money from somewhere to fix it!
Posts: 108 | From: Culver City, CA, US | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PaulB
Member # 4258

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for PaulB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
$25k is chump change for a passenger car. I hope it will return for another year, as it always seems to do!
Posts: 286 | From: Knee deep in the retention tank | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page