RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Free Trip on Guest Rewards

Author Topic: Free Trip on Guest Rewards
PaulB
Member # 4258

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for PaulB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I've finally racked up enough points for a 1-zone trip in a roomette! [Big Grin]

Now, I want to maximize my 1-zone trip as much as possible!
I think the rule is that you can not have overnight stays-all connections must be the same day.

So, I'm thinking of taking the Empire Builder (paid) from Seattle to Wolf Point, then use AGR to travel from Wolf Point to Chicago, then connect to the City of New Orleans to New Orleans.

On the other hand, I've never traveled in a Viewliner, so I'm thinking of going from Miami to Atlanta on a Silver train then the Crescent.

Any other ideas?

Posts: 286 | From: Knee deep in the retention tank | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 4508

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1702     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Silver Service trains don't serve Atlanta, so from Miami you'd have to go to Alexandria, VA, to connect with the Crescent.
Posts: 73 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can go Miami to Jacksonville or Savannah and finish the trip by bus. How practical that is, I do not know. I have no idea of the schedules and relative proximity of train and bus stations in those cities. A visit to www.greygound.com and probably some research into the cities themselves will answer that. However, I think the answer on proximity is not any. I know the Jacksonville station is well out of town, and think that is also true for Savannah.
Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PaulB
Member # 4258

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for PaulB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My goal is to maximize the train miles within 1 zone, shown here:
http://www.amtrakguestrewards.com/redeem/details/zone_chart_popup.html

So connecting at Alexandria (or DC, or New York) is fine by me!

Posts: 286 | From: Knee deep in the retention tank | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To maximize train miles in 1 zone with a Viewliner part way, try Miami to Toledo. You'd have a Viewliner on the FL train and a Superliner (and scenic ride the first night) on the Capitol Ltd. And you can pay cash and go coach from Toledo to Chicago for a more convenient terminus. I know the train says it will be in Toledo very early and changing rooms then seems like a hassle, but believe me, it will be late enough so that you needn't worry!

Just be sure to leave yourself a cushion before doing anything that would cost you a lot if you don't show up. In other words, if you do go Miami to Toledo/Chicago, don't book to fly back from Chhicago (or Toledo) assuming you will make the DC connection--leave a cushion in case you miss that connection. By cushion, I mean, stay in a hotel in Chicago before your return. AND try not to book a hotel that you cannot call up from the train and cancel without penalty before 4 PM day of arrival--with some hotels, it's 24 hours in advance, and that can be problematic for an overnight trip.

Personally, much as I prefer Viewliner to Superliner sleepers, I'd forego the former and instead do a more scenic trip, i.e., Albuquerque or Denver to Seattle (try to get sleeper on left side facing forward of Coast Starlight; but, if not, you can use the lounge). You could even extend and go to Vancouver BC with a bus; you may have to pay for that part, but Vancouver is IMO much nicer than Seattle. (Just be careful the Amtrak person doesn't give you Vancouver Washington instead of Vancouver BC by mistake!)

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 1702:
The Silver Service trains don't serve Atlanta, so from Miami you'd have to go to Alexandria, VA, to connect with the Crescent.

Hi 1702 - Original poster said on a "silver train then the Crescent." My guess is that he's looking for two nights in a Viewliner and intends to change trains in Washington, DC. The Amtrak website shows that as a travel option if you simply enter MIA to ATL......I was looking into that possibility for myself just last night!

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 4508

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for 1702     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by notelvis:
quote:

Hi 1702 - Original poster said on a "silver train then the Crescent." My guess is that he's looking for two nights in a Viewliner and intends to change trains in Washington, DC. The Amtrak website shows that as a travel option if you simply enter MIA to ATL......I was looking into that possibility for myself just last night!
My reply was based on PaulB's desire to maximize his one-zone trip & his mention of New Orleans as a destination. When he said "Miami to Atlanta on a Silver train then the Crescent", I assumed (!) his destination on the Crescent would be New Orleans.

You gotta let us know who's right, PaulB, there's a lot riding on this!

Wherever you end up going, have a great trip!

Posts: 73 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
You gotta let us know who's right, PaulB, there's a lot riding on this!

Yeah! A season pass to Tweetsie......ha, ha.

But seriously.

I did a one zone trip in June 2005 Albuquerque to Portland via LAX for just 15,000 points!

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Room Service
Member # 2405

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Room Service     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
San Diego, CA to Wolf Point, MT and a one night stay there is a nice one zone get-a-way, using round-trip Guest Reward points for a roomette.

Accommodations at Wolf Point, 1 breakfeast and 1 dinner bring the total cost for a 5 day - 5 night vacation to under one-hundred bucks.

Posts: 218 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page