RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Cross Country-The Good, Bad and Ugly

Author Topic: Cross Country-The Good, Bad and Ugly
Ray S
Member # 3175

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray S     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I returned home to Florida after spending the summer out west.

The Good: I rode the Empire Builder from Seattle to Chicago.

Overnight in Chicago.

The Bad: Lake Shore Limited to Albany.

Three day layover in Saratoga Springs and Manchester, Vt. area. My first time in this area and I really enjoyed it. Nice cool weather and the leaves were changing. Something we don't get in south Florida.

Another Good: Albany to NYC and stayed overnight in NYC.

The Ugly: Silver Meteor to West Palm Beach.

I had a full size bedroom on each leg of my trip and business class from ALB to NYC. I paid for the Empire Builder and the rest was Guest Reward points I have been saving for a while.

The Empire Builder was a treat to ride. My bedroom was starting to show some wear but still nice and clean. Everything was working. As others have said the bathroom seems bigger somehow. Easier to shower for sure. Great staff, good food and nearly ontime performance. (15 minutes late) Prior to retiring the first night I asked my attendent what time breakfast gets crowded. He said 6:30-7:00 am. both mornings. I mentioned that I really didn't care for getting up that early but I like breakfast. He said I should sleep in and just hit my button when ready for breakfast. I did and he was prompt to make the room up and in less than 10 minutes had brought me my breakfast and a newspaper. Hot and missing nothing both mornings. Bacon, eggs and grits the first day and pancakes and sausage the second.

I skipped lunch both days after big breakfast. Dinner seatings every half hour went off without a hitch. The staff really had it together on a busy train. Spoiled me for my next two legs for sure.

It was snowing as we went thru Glacier National Park. I called my wife in south Florida and told her about the weather and she said to enjoy it as it was 93 at home!

I tipped my attendent well upon arriving in Chicago and headed to my hotel and then out for a pizza.

More later.

Ray

Posts: 70 | From: West Palm Beach, Fl. USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reports like these make me want to get aboard. Haven't had a chance yet this year. Maybe one coming up...maybe not.
Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page