RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Texas Eagle Austin to FT Worth

Author Topic: Texas Eagle Austin to FT Worth
Brandi
Member # 4576

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brandi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, this is just a question. I have never taken a train trip and I was thinking of taking one in a couple of days from Austin to Ft Worth. If I was alone I would not even second guess it, but I will be taking my two boys 5 and 11 mos. I don't think I will have much of a problem with my oldest, I think he will love it, but my youngest is what I'm really worried about. Do many people take infants on a train? He's not much of a crier but I don't want to ruffle any feathers. Also, I don't get car sick, but I do get sea sick, do you think I may have problems on a 4.5 hour long train ride. If anyone can share there experiences with me, I would really appreciate it.
Posts: 2 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For a daytime trip it should be fine. Had it been overnight then I would worry about bringing two kids on your own. Somebody posted here a couple of months ago in a similar situation and they weren't happy. They expected more help from the crew - but the train isn't a creche.

Much as I hate crying babies, one has to expect that it comes as part of the package, so I just have to deal with it. So should everybody else but you have to be wary of people that might not be so tolerant - but that goes for planes, buses, shopping malls, as well as trains.

Just bring some toys for the older one and remember that anything you do outside your seat will involve having to transport two kids on a swaying train with whatever equipment you need. A trip to the bathroom to change a nappy (diaper) may not be trivial!

Having said that, plenty of lone parents do take their babies on board and, for the most part, have a great time. One memorable occasion had me and three other strangers around the diner table taking turns to hold the baby whilst the mother ate!

Enjoy!

Geoff M.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeeCT
Member # 3241

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeeCT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lots of young mothers travel with young children on the train.
This would be a day time trip - so no worry about the little ones disturbing anyones sleep.

Travel lite so you are not overburdened with hauling luggage. Check your luggage through if possible --- both stations do list help with luggage available -- I assume this is redcap service -- take advantage of it. (The tip may be the best money you spend).
Bring along a couple of favorite toys, perhaps a book or two (Coloring book and crayons for oldest.)
Since lunch time comes at the mid-point of your trip --- and depending on your budget -- plan on lunch in the dining car, the lounge, or bring a simple lunch.
It has always been my observation that traveling with young children is most successful when kept simple. (and also with moms who go with the flow and keep their sense of humor.)

Have fun!!!!

Posts: 460 | From: North Central CT | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get carsick, sea sick and the joke around here is I can get sea sick in the bath tub. However I have never gotten sick or even queezy on a train.My children were older than yours so I can't give you much advice but I suggest you pack some new toys (books,quiet activities) for your 5 year old. Also a few of his favorite things, Blanket, book , stuffed animal. Pack some simple snacks and perhaps a small box of fruit juice. For the younger one I would also take whatever he likes to munch on (crackers Etc)and something to drink.Take his favorite blanket and stuffed animal. I don't know what you do with him but if it's a book or toy take it.I would think all this could fit into a carry on. Don't forget a 5 year old doessn't have much of an attention span usually so just be prepared to be the entertainment dept for both of your little guys. I am sure there are other mothers on this forum who can come with ideas for you. Good luck,have fun and relax.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brandi
Member # 4576

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brandi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks to all of you. I noticed the menu and there doesn't seem to be anything that my older one would really eat. So you can pack your own lunch? Can you just eat at your seat or go elsewhere? I would like to stay as stationary as possible...
We don't have the option of checked baggage, it has to be carry on. So that should be fun.
The station manager I spoke with was very upbeat and said I should have nothing to worry about especially with my 5 year old. I guess worrying is just in my nature and I remember how I felt on a plane with unruly children. Of course I like to THINK I have control over mine. [Wink]

Posts: 2 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can take your own food onboard, but you *must* eat that at your seat (not in the diner or lounge). It's probably the best way rather than the diner anyway. You could even turn it into a picnic for the older one.

Regarding unchecked baggage, keep it as light as possible then. Back pack for the older one with his toys and maybe snacks. I don't know how you carry your baby, but again, backpack for the baby and/or for your possessions and food. It keeps your hands free.

Any drinks can be made "safer" by having a closed top rather than an open cup. Sports bottle style, if you see what I mean. Safer in terms of train wobble and "accidents" from kids knocking it over.

Geoff M.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ira Slotkin
Member # 81

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ira Slotkin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been taking my son (now almost 9) on long train trips since he was 2.5. My intro/first contact with this forum was with question similar to yours prior to our first trip. I concur with the prediction of no trouble, and with the suggested take-alongs of snack foods, eating at your seats, cards to play in the lounge car, comfort items. I think it will be over too soon for them.

I used to live quite close to the AMTRAK station in Austin. Fond memories of walking the tracks.

Ira

Posts: 300 | From: Denver, CO USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brandi, when my 3 were small we acted out a new situation before it happened.On the Amtrak.com site under traveling with amtrak you will find a picture of the coach seating. You might show that to your 5 year old. Then set up a couple of chairs in the living room(or wherever it's convenient) and act out the trip . Start with boarding and finding your seats and just go from there. You can even impress on him how he is the big brother and you will need his help with the baby.It may sound silly but it had always worked for us be it a trip, avisit somewhere new etc. I found that when kids know what to expect they are much better able to handle a situation. Just a thought.Oh yes, shove a bottle of drinking water in your carry on. The watre is drinkable but ,to me, tastes awful
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 4508

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1702     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brandi:
Thanks to all of you. I noticed the menu and there doesn't seem to be anything that my older one would really eat. So you can pack your own lunch? Can you just eat at your seat or go elsewhere? I would like to stay as stationary as possible...
[Wink]

In addition to the full-service dining car, there'll also be a lounge car with snack bar on the train. It offers lighter fare than the dining car - hot dogs, hot & cold sandwiches, individual pizzas among many selections, so I'll bet your 5-year-old will find something he likes there.
You may eat what you purchase there in the lounge car or bring it back to your coach seats, as the items are put in carry-out boxes.

A note on bringing your own food--lots of folks do, but don't bring anything that needs to microwaved. The crew isn't allowed to heat personal food/beverage items in the microwaves, only what is purchased onboard. Nor can personal food items be stored in the refrigerators. The lounge car attendant or dining car crew can provide a cup of hot water if you need to warm a bottle & cups of ice if you need them.

Have a fun trip!

Posts: 73 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please be certain about checking luggage/luggage help being available in Austin. It's a small station and when I was going through in August, I thought I heard luggage help was not available; but maybe that was just if you wanted to LEAVE it in the station, and maybe it IS available for loading on or off the train. But I'd go down to the station and check in advance, if possible.

Anyway, traveling light is the very best advice!

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Definitely bring your own food. It will be a lot cheaper, and that way you don't have to go from car to car. Keep the need for fixing to a minimum.

Guess I am haing somewhatof a generational adjustment here. My wife and three did a couple of overnight trips, kids 4, 2, 6 mos. We did not really think it strange because in the late 40's early 50's when we were both small, traveling with small kids long distances, whether by train or bus, was something you simply did when you had to.

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page