RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Try terrific Chinese restaurants near Los Angeles Union Station!

Author Topic: Try terrific Chinese restaurants near Los Angeles Union Station!
Pojon
Member # 3080

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Pojon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try the many terrific Chinese restaurants (some buffets) within 5 blocks of Los Angeles Union Station on Alameda. Some of the best and lowest priced Chinese food we've ever eaten.
Posts: 287 | From: Palatka, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Empress Pavillion is a long time favorite for dim sum. The address escapes me at the moment, but it is at the end of the DASH line that picks up in front of Union Station or you could walk over. Another althernative would be to take the Gold Line from Union Station to Chinatown and then walk three or four blocks. It is a HUGE place that gets very busy on weekends. We have never spent more than $10.00 a person at lunch and always leave full and then some.

Frank in cool, cloudy SBA

P.S. Don't forget the Mexican food on Olvera Street or Philippe's for French Dip or Little Tokyo. All are close to Union Station.

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tried Philippe's last Saturday about 3:00 pm after arriving on the Surfliner. Not able to get in due to the many people. It may have been the pre-Dodger crowd, a little early for the game but there were some blue painted folks among them.
Frank, I looked for you on 9/27 at SBA but you were no where to be found. Perhaps you were still recovering from jet lag. My friends had a great time in SBA. My report on the CS and more will come as soon as I get organized.

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, don't forget the Mexican places on Olvera Street (directly across from the front of LAUPT). I especially recommend the chilaquiles or huevos rancheros for breakfast!
Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vicki--

Welcome Home! Sorry I wasn't there to greet you as you passed through. I got caught up in "stuff" that happens when you get back from a trip and didn't remember until I heard the horn. I DID see you when you crossed over the Mission Street overpass on the way out of town however.

Really looking forward to your trip report(s)!

I think there were a number of downtown events going on last weekend. That's probably the explanation for the crowd at Philippe's.

Frank in, finally, sunny SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page