RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » travel to florida from pa w/11months old

Author Topic: travel to florida from pa w/11months old
tasha
Member # 1519

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for tasha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We are considering a trip to Florida with our 11 mths-old son. I wonder if it is at all possible.
I would appreciate any pointers and tips from those brave parents who have successfuly done this.
Thank you in advance.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ira Slotkin
Member # 81

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ira Slotkin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Tasha:

I went round trip from Denver to NYC with a 2 year old. Two days and nights. Winter months. One train change in Chicago. More mobile at 2 than yours but still was in diapers and needing bottles at night and in the morning. Naps, too.

We took a deluxe bedroom room (shower, bathroom). My big suggestion is that you get a deluxe room so that you can sleep easily if it is an overnight trip. My attendant brought warm milk first thing in the a.m. and I'd get it from the dining car in the evening before it closed.

My son and I slept together on the lower bed. The rooms were a comfortable temperature all the way there and back.

I could pull the bunk out for him to nap on during the day too.

"Mother's (and father's) with their babes asleep, rockin to the gentle beat, and the rhythm of the rails is all they hear..."

If you read much on this forum you'll find that there is a range of experiences. I have not been on the trains you'll be taking. I can and do fly and drive when I travel but take the train when time allows. I hope to take my son back to NY this summer by train. He is 4 now.

If you have specific questions ask away. There's folks here who will chime in. Feel free to email me off list, too.

Ira

Posts: 300 | From: Denver, CO USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim
Member # 65

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been there before. Traveled from PA to FL when my daughter was 2 mo., and to Denver from PA when she was 9 mo. (We've had other trips with her since then, too.) Both times we had a standard bedroom. The trains to FL have tons of space in the rooms for bags; not much for people. The beds are very narrow. The one who shares with the child will be very crowded, but it's doable, and much more comfortable than coach. If you can afford it, the deluxe bedroom is better; we got one of these when travelling to FL when my daughter was almost 2. The lower bunk is very wide in the deluxe. If you are traveling coach, you might get a kind car attendant that will give you an extra seat for the child even if he/she is not ticketed. The down side of traveling coach is that you don't have the privacy (and the locking door) that you have in coach, so if the child gets loud in the middle of the night you'll want ot be considerate of the other passengers and take him/her to the lounge car. (The conductor will keep you company.) Bring a lot of extra diapers and extra snacks for the child... if the train runs late (as it frequently does) you don't want to run out of these two things. Dining car food is good, and they will give you an extra plate if you want to give the child some stuff off your own plate. If you have a car seat, bring it with you to the diner. We set ours up in the booth with the back to the wall (wedged between the table and the back of the seat, child facing the inside of the car.) Ours wedged in nicely, and by strapping the child in, he/she can be contained and his/her hands will be out of range of the diners' plates. Another tip: purchase a $10 "umbrella" stroller for the trip - it will be a lifesaver in the train stations while hauling child, overnight bag, diaper bag, etc. - and if your station doesn't check luggage, the rest of your stuff. They are also small enough to be used in the aisles of the coaches and sleepers, but you will probably not be permitted to do this unless you are boarding or detraining.

The crews have always been friendly and patient with us traveling with our child. Make sure you extend a little courtesy to them and they'll take good care of you.

In short, traveling with children, whether it's flying, driving, or by train is always a challenge, but in my opinion, train is by far the easiest.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 72 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page