RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Train #14, 10/17/06

Author Topic: Train #14, 10/17/06
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Today I was at SBA to ask a question about some one class upgrade coupons I got from Guest Rewards Select (they'd never seen one but think, as I do, that they can only be used to buy an upgraded ticket one hour before departure) and saw the northbound Starlight #14 come in.

The good news is that it was a couple of minutes early arriving. I couldn't stick around to see the departure.

The not so good news is that there was no Pacific Parlour car and no Sightseer lounge substituted for it. Just the one Sightseer Lounge behind the diner. I think sleeping car pax are due some sort of compensation from Amtrak for that.

Two odd things. There were three engines. One the usual lead engine in standard Amtrak colors. Then an engine that looked like the older boxy style in Amtrak colors. Then an engine that looked like the first but in Cascades livery. There was also an unoccupied sleeper at the end with the number 1131 in the windows.

Next trip will be a short Surfliner trip to LAUPT (hopefully in BC using the upgrade) and then the Flyaway bus to LAX on Monday, 23 October.

Frank in sunny, Chamber of Commerce gorgeous SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Frank! From what I have been hearing, only 2 of the Pacific Parlour Cars are running. One was vandalized while in storage and has been sent to Beech Grove, but I do not know of any plans to repair it. As for the other 2, they apparently have air conditioning problems. So anyone taking a Sleeper on the Coast Starlight should not be dissapointed if they do not have a Parlour. I have also heard a rumor that the attendants are extra board personnel isntead of regular Parlour Car attendants. As for the locomotives, the other day I saw a recent picture of #14 with a Phase V P32, and a F59PHI in Cascade paint. Sure is odd stuff compared to 2 P42s as usual.

Glad to hear you are taking a Surfliner trip, I went to SBA the a few weeks ago and had the dome back to L.A.!

-Anton

Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just made a reservation for the Starlight October 30, returning Nov. 3 (my birthday). I've heard that the parlour car has been absent in recent weeks. Not sure how often.

RailPAC's newsletter reprinted one of those internet rumors from an alleged "manager" who claims the parlour cars will be unstaffed starting Nov 1. We'll see, but judging from previous internet rumors from "managers" that never panned out, I'll believe it when I see it.

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad you are going on your trip this year, I look forward to the report. I can tell you from the Coast Starlight webcam on another site that only about one Coast Staright consist has had a Parlour car in the last week. I really hope Amtrak repairs the cars in storage.
Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We'll be looking forward to your report, Mr. Toy.

On previous trips I've taken where there was no Parlour Car they substituted a Sightseer Lounge and did the wine tasting, etc., on the lower level. That seems reasonable. If that isn't done I think sleeping car passengers deserve some sort of compensation since the availability of the Parlour Car is one Amtrak's main selling points for sleeper accomodations on this route.

Frank in incredibly gorgeous SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On my recent trip on the CS they did the wine tasting in the diner and there was only one lounge car so it was hard to find a seat there, especially when the NPS staff came on board for their talk. Amtrak hasn't offered to recompense me yet for that, ho, ho.

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MDRR
Member # 2992

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MDRR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FWIW, the fall timetable makes no mention of a Pacific Parlor car under the amenities page, nor does it list any of the current activities that are now provided.

It sounds like the end is here....

Posts: 332 | From: Long Island, NY USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MDRR:
FWIW, the fall timetable makes no mention of a Pacific Parlor car under the amenities page, nor does it list any of the current activities that are now provided.

It sounds like the end is here....

My on-line "Tripfolio" still mentioned the Parlour Car.

But, one must wonder how much servicable life those cars still have in them. After all, they're about 50 years old. At some point they're gonna start needing major overhauls, with money Amtrak doesn't have.

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
MDRR--

I still haven't been able to get a copy of the Fall Timetable. I'll try again on Monday when I go to LAX. The Parlour Car is still there in the online description.

Mr. Toy--

I seem to recall that these cars were built for the original "Hi-Level" El Capitan. That would be in the mid-50's. I remember touring the train when it was parked at the Pasadena AT&SF station and being VERY impressed by it.

Frank in cool but still gorgeous SBA

20thCenturyLimited
Member # 1108

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 20thCenturyLimited     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sbalax:
MDRR--

I still haven't been able to get a copy of the Fall Timetable. I'll try again on Monday when I go to LAX. The Parlour Car is still there in the online description.

Mr. Toy--

I seem to recall that these cars were built for the original "Hi-Level" El Capitan. That would be in the mid-50's. I remember touring the train when it was parked at the Pasadena AT&SF station and being VERY impressed by it.

Frank in cool but still gorgeous SBA

I have the fall timetable, what is the question?
Posts: 134 | From: New York, New York USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
I believe member on another board have confirmed this already, but the question is if "Pacific Parlour Car" is featured under the amenities page on the Coast Starlight page.
I also know that movies, and possibly kiddie cars as well will no longer be listed.

20thCenturyLimited
Member # 1108

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 20thCenturyLimited     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CoastStarlight99:
I believe member on another board have confirmed this already, but the question is if "Pacific Parlour Car" is featured under the amenities page on the Coast Starlight page.
I also know that movies, and possibly kiddie cars as well will no longer be listed.

No, Pacific Parlour Car is NOT listed anymore.
Posts: 134 | From: New York, New York USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
MDRR--

No specific question. I just like to have the timetable on hand for trip planning and day-dreaming!

Sad to see the demise of the Starlight.

Frank in gorgeous, sunny SBA

dixiebreeze
Member # 3224

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dixiebreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am so glad I rode the Starlight in its heyday in the mid-90s. The parlour cars were fabulous, the service excellent and in addition to the wine and cheese, there were huge platters of fresh fruit and other snacks. The entertainment was also superb. It was a heavenly ride from LA to Portland and back.
Posts: 133 | From: Florida, U.S.A. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page