RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » So, anyone try the new digEplayers yet?

Author Topic: So, anyone try the new digEplayers yet?
20thCenturyLimited
Member # 1108

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 20thCenturyLimited     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If so, how was it?
Posts: 134 | From: New York, New York USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DigEPlayers are very similar to what is used on modern Airbus long-haul aircrafts. They use some kind of digital interface that allows you to view whatever program available whenever you want. I have used a similar system on a Swiss Air flight, and found it very convenient. The DigEPlaer is $12 a day I believe, which is really not that bad compared to what it could be. The only thing inconvenient is that if you are going to a non digi-player location, you have to purchase a prepaid FedEx envelope. I think just bringing my laptop along with a DVD or internet capabilities is good enough for me.
Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From what I understand, the DigEPlayers are pre-loaded with a selection of movies and audio entertainment. Pretty slick but if you have a laptop and DVD's or an I-pod or similar device perhaps not worth the money.

"On Demand" IFE's (Inflight Entertainment Systems) are becoming much more common in the air. They are not limited to Swiss or Airbus aircraft. Thales has one for regional jets and, I believe, Air Canada has signed up for it. Pretty cool stuff for those of us old enough to remember the pull down or flip over screens and film projection systems and then the tiny monitors mounted in the open "coat and hat racks" on the 707. I still have a couple of pair of the pnuematic earphones for Continental's "Golden Marquee Theatre of the Air".

Frank in cooling off and dark SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
20thCenturyLimited
Member # 1108

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 20thCenturyLimited     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sbalax:
Pretty slick but if you have a laptop and DVD's or an I-pod or similar device perhaps not worth the money.

Yeah but who want's to carry around a stack of DVD's with your laptop? Maybe if you ripped them first.....
Posts: 134 | From: New York, New York USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Way beyond my level of skill but probably a good idea.

Frank in Gorgeous, again, SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
abefroman329
Member # 3986

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for abefroman329     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 20thCenturyLimited:
quote:
Pretty slick but if you have a laptop and DVD's or an I-pod or similar device perhaps not worth the money.

Yeah but who want's to carry around a stack of DVD's with your laptop? Maybe if you ripped them first.....
A 24-disc CaseLogic case isn't exactly burdensome.
Posts: 76 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
20thCenturyLimited
Member # 1108

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by abefroman329:
quote:
Originally posted by 20thCenturyLimited:
quote:

A 24-disc CaseLogic case isn't exactly burdensome.
In my opinion it is - yet another thing to carry. The better solution would be to rip your DVD's to your hard drive.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page