RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Sunset Ltd.

Author Topic: Sunset Ltd.
dixiebreeze
Member # 3224

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dixiebreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anything new regarding the Sunset Ltd. between Florida and New Orleans? Thanks.
Posts: 133 | From: Florida, U.S.A. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
20thCenturyLimited
Member # 1108

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 20thCenturyLimited     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not a whit.
Posts: 134 | From: New York, New York USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like your name, Dixie Breeze. Sounds like a passenger train for the Louisville and Nashville RR in the style of Dixie Flyer, Dixieland, Dixie Flagler. I have heard no news about Sunset restoration - but everything indicates it won't happen. The real question is can the remaining portion of the Sunset hang on.
Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SunsetLtd
Member # 3985

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SunsetLtd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Remaning portion is going pretty strong! [Big Grin] Ridership is high and Coach only has a few seats left when it comes through. The only proplem with it is the UP trackwork around Alpine which is really hurting its on-time percentage.

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Amsunset

www.facebook.com/kevinschillinger

Posts: 250 | From: Texas State University-San Marcos, Texas (Hometown El Paso, TX) | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gp35
Member # 3971

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gp35     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sunset needs daily service. A new massive Intermodal terminal in Houston set to begin construction in 2007 and Beaumont is making plans for it Downtown Terminal. This will increase riders in both those cities.
Posts: 562 | From: Beaumont Texas | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PaulB
Member # 4258

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for PaulB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last time I checked, intermodal containers don't ride on passenger trains. [Razz]
Posts: 286 | From: Knee deep in the retention tank | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We are talking intermodal passengers between train and bus. Downtown is a key point for Beaumont where the Amtrak station is difficult to find in the freight yard.
Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by George Harris:
We are talking intermodal passengers between train and bus. Downtown is a key point for Beaumont where the Amtrak station is difficult to find in the freight yard.

Particularly since it has been reported here (by gp35 I believe) that the Beaumont 'station' is merely a concrete slab and a platform now.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dixiebreeze
Member # 3224

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dixiebreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It seems like the public should be able to do something to get the Sunset back on track -- no pun intended. On track that is, between Florida and NO. I'm really starting to get upset about this. I sure miss my annual rides to California and Oregon.

Thank you Palmland. I chose DixieBreeze because it's the homeland of my ancestors and though I was born in the north, I'm Southern by choice and provenance.

Posts: 133 | From: Florida, U.S.A. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Letters to your congressperson and senator would be a good place to start although I think that would be kind of pointless until after the November 7 elections when we learn who our local elceted officials will be. Letters to those officials who directly represent communities that are along the suspended portion of the route would also be a good idea. Those of us in other places who might have otherwise visited Florida if the Sunset were running could also help by sending letters to that effect to Florida's representatives.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gp35
Member # 3971

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gp35     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Beaumont slab is not in a freight yard. It's about 4 blocks east of a freight yard. It is next to a high school baseball fields. You can catch a game while standing on the slab. Houston's terminal will be very impressive. A huge project(looks like a high rise) is already under construction next to the Houston terminal site. Beaumont plans are big for a city of its size.
Posts: 562 | From: Beaumont Texas | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Napoleonville
Member # 4606

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Napoleonville     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any way you look at it this is great news for two major Gulf Coast stops on the Sunset route. Both stations were woefully inadequate to serve the traveling public's needs. My only concern is that once the cities of Beaumont and Houston coplete these much needed facilities Amtrak will throw out a 180 day notice on the notorious money losers #1 and #2.

--------------------
C. Jay Hadley

Posts: 3 | From: Baton Rouge, LA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TALKrr
Member # 683

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TALKrr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Am considering a trip on the Eagle/Sunset in January. Had a question:

Does BOTH the Eagle and Sunset run with a Sightseer Lounge Car in the consist. So that everyone knows what I mean , big windowns on top and small cafe on the bottom with tables ?

Somebody told me this car was eliminated from the Sunset for a while. I really think this car is a necessity for me.

Posts: 187 | From: Pittsburgh , PA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PaulB
Member # 4258

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for PaulB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Both trains should have a Sightseer Lounge Car. However, January is a long way off (in train on-board service terms) so anything could happen.
Posts: 286 | From: Knee deep in the retention tank | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gp35
Member # 3971

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Napoleonville:
Any way you look at it this is great news for two major Gulf Coast stops on the Sunset route. Both stations were woefully inadequate to serve the traveling public's needs. My only concern is that once the cities of Beaumont and Houston coplete these much needed facilities Amtrak will throw out a 180 day notice on the notorious money losers #1 and #2.

Good news and bad news, from a very very VEEEERY high reliable person. No Sunset daily service anytime soon. Lack of trainset is the only reason. I was told it is more expensive to run tri-weekly on the Sunset than daily service. Amtrak number 1 goal is to make Sunset and Cardinal daily once trainset become available. Sunset will not get 180 day notice. Sunset here to stay. Very reliable source.
gp35
Member # 3971

Rate Member
 -

Beaumont's current rail stop. That slab is where the station was located before it was razed.

Napoleonville
Member # 4606

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Napoleonville     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GP35; Looks like much hasn't changed in Beaumont since they closed Tower 74. Thanks for the straight skinny on the Sunset. One of the past presidents (it seems like a revolving door now since Graham Claytor left) said it would be less headaches and truly a money saver if Amtrak bought a plane ticket for passengers going from LA to Orlando and he was talking about coach passengers. Tri-weekly never did make sense from a business stand point let alone a viable means of transportation.

--------------------
C. Jay Hadley

Posts: 3 | From: Baton Rouge, LA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pojon
Member # 3080

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pojon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Latest word from public relations dept. of Amtrak in Washington, DC is that crews have been trained and readied for resumption of Sunset Limited service but no word yet on just when the service will be re-instated to Orlando from New Orleans.
Posts: 287 | From: Palatka, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If all the rumours are true about SL restarting service east of NOL, why don't they announce it so people can book it? Are they just going to start with just a week's notice - and then wonder why nobody is on the train?!

Are they still waiting for authority from whatever agencies have their fingers in the Amtrak pie?

Geoff M.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
gp35: Not even a platform of any kind? Do they have a sign somewhere? It is amazing anybody even finds the place.

In 1981 I was working briefly in South Louisiana and had friends in Houston. On my way there once, I went looking for the Beaumont station. At that time the station building was still there, with SP and MP signs on it. Looking somewhat run down.

In the freight yard or near the end of it, not much difference. I was thinking in the yard, because when I found it there was a set of power sitting there idling. Don't recall if there was a train attached or not.

George

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gp35
Member # 3971

Rate Member
There is a platform. The platform is split into 2. If you look closely at the picture, you can see the passengers getting off the train walking on the eastern platform. The other platform is behind the camera.

The station was half station and half UP office. When UP pulled their ppl out, the homeless moved in and the station went down. It was razed in 2003.

The good news is a Bus/train transit terminal is in the works for downtown.

gp35
Member # 3971

Rate Member
oh, no sign. No restroom. no protection from the rain. Nothing. It's a deadend in street.
Tanner929
Member # 3720

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tanner929     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The charachter of a town can be judged by how it treats its Railroad Station,"
Posts: 516 | From: New Haven, CT USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dixiebreeze
Member # 3224

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Pojon:
Latest word from public relations dept. of Amtrak in Washington, DC is that crews have been trained and readied for resumption of Sunset Limited service but no word yet on just when the service will be re-instated to Orlando from New Orleans.

Worth repeating if correct and I sure hope you're right! Keep us posted please.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page