RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Pricing Questions

Author Topic: Pricing Questions
travelplus
Member # 3679

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for travelplus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Out of curiosity how is it that Amtrak charges more on long distance trains for Lower Level Seating(coach) as opposed to upper level? Is it due to the fact that lower level seating is in a smaller zone and they want premium for offering a small compartment with around 12 seats?

Any ideas?

Posts: 259 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
travelplus
Member # 3679

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for travelplus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could somebody please reply to my post? Thanks
Posts: 259 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why don't you call Amtrak and ask the agent? They should be able to answer the question
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tommers207
Member # 3930

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tommers207     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually it should be the same price. If you notice, the price for the lower level seat is the same price for the normal reserved coach. For example, I just pretended to book a seat on the CS from FUL to PDX. The coach price was $86. I then went to options and chose the lower level coach seat which seems like it would be an additional $86 however when you select it and get your total the price is $86 for the whole trip. Hope this helps.
Posts: 45 | From: Fullerton, CA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judy McFarland
Member # 4435

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judy McFarland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe tommers207 is correct. It looks like you are being charged double, but in fact lower level is the same price as upper level - at least that was what happened last time I booked a lower level seat. I agree the reservation screen is confusing.

--------------------
My new "default" station (EKH) has no baggage service or QuikTrak machine, but the parking is free! And the NY Central RR Museum is just across the tracks (but not open at Amtrak train times. . ..)

Posts: 337 | From: Goshen, IN | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My experience has been that they generally prefer to seat elderly and handicapped passengers on the lower level. Apparantly the website is giving you the option to specifically request seating in that section now.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David, the website has allowed you to select lower level coach seats for several years now. I wish they'd let you select a lower level roomette that way, too.

The lower coach area also has a space for a wheelchair, and the lower level is most often used for elderly and handicapped people.

--------------------
The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page