RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Just Curious

Author Topic: Just Curious
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was reading, in the Oct issue of TRAINS magazine, that you cannot get on the Coast Starlight in Eugene, and head for a destination north (such as Portland or Seattle). Is this true? I guess you can board the Starlight, in Klamath Falls, and ride the CS for a destination north. I tried the Amtrak site, for Eugene to Seattle, and it only referred to the Cascades, not the CS. The opposite apparently is possible..you can ride the CS from Seattle, on coach, to any destination.. Portland, Eugene, etc.

Just curious, why can't you ride the CS, coach, from Eugene headed north?

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beacon Hill
Member # 4431

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beacon Hill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Train 14 was designated "Discharge Only" when time-keeping became an issue. The Starlight was scheduled to leave Portland, northbound, at about 4:30 pm. But passengers ticketed on the 14 would end up riding the Cascade train that left Portland at about 6:15 pm because the Starlight was usually way behind schedule. Southbound, train 11 usually leaves Seattle on-time so Amtrak still sells tickets on the southbound Starlight. The "Discharge Only" symbol has been dropped from the Starlight's schedule at the Amtrak website, but the computer still won't let you book. Maybe with improved timekeeping on the 14 Amtrak will sell space again.
Posts: 78 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SunsetLtd
Member # 3985

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SunsetLtd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That rule was established back when it ran 12 hours late. It was designed to help the train make up some time. I only think that rule applied to #14 though, #11 was ok going down the valley so I think they allowed people to board and head south. Don't know if they are still following that rule or not.

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Amsunset

www.facebook.com/kevinschillinger

Posts: 250 | From: Texas State University-San Marcos, Texas (Hometown El Paso, TX) | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting. Well, maybe if the Starlight can get back to a much better on-time performance it will allow passengers to board, in Eugene, headed north. I wonder if this is the situtaion year-round and if it will remain so?

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The new timetable does NOT show any such restrictions from EUG northward on #14.
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beacon Hill
Member # 4431

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beacon Hill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The 14 is not shown on the Cascades timetable and Amtrak's on-line booking site won't allow you to board 14 north of Eugene. Hopefully service can be restored soon.
Posts: 78 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by yukon11:
Interesting. Well, maybe if the Starlight can get back to a much better on-time performance it will allow passengers to board, in Eugene, headed north. I wonder if this is the situtaion year-round and if it will remain so?

Richard

The Starlight IS back to reasonable timekeeping. Best I've seen in years, in fact.

--------------------
The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oops, I must take back what I said. This week the timekeeping has deteriorated somewhat. Some days were pretty good, but one day 14 was almost 6 hours late into Seattle. Other days were OK, or somewhere in the middle.
Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page