RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Possible trip in March

Author Topic: Possible trip in March
SunsetLtd
Member # 3985

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for SunsetLtd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My family has decided to take the train again for our annual spring vacation [Big Grin] . The only problem is we don't know where to go. We've been to San Diego, San Antonio, Austin, Tucson, Seattle, and finally Disneyland. We all seem to agree we want to take the Starlight again but, with the whole Parlour situation we're not sure. Anyone know any good destinations we could go to?

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Amsunset

www.facebook.com/kevinschillinger

Posts: 250 | From: Texas State University-San Marcos, Texas (Hometown El Paso, TX) | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know how much time you have or what your budget may be but have you thought about Chicago? There are so many things to do for all ages. Or how about the Grand Canyon. There is a train from Williams ( I think)
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hope that by this spring, Sunset, that all Parlor Cars, on the Starlight, will be back in service.

In the last couple of years, I have taken two interesting trips, using the Starlight as a basis.

Two years ago, I took the CS, out of San Jose, up to Portland with the idea of catching the Empire Builder the next day. I didn't try for "same day" connections as I did not want to be bused, out of Klamath, to catch up with the EB. It was good to get off in Portland and have a train break, spend the night in Portland, and catch a few good restaurants. The Empire Builder leg up the Columbia Gorge is very interesting..I had to wonder at the difference, in terrain, from the north side of the Columbia River to the south.

My destination was Whitefish, Montana. I stayed at the Grouse Mountain Lodge..a little pricey, but fun. There are other, cheaper, but most acceptable lodges and motels in Whitefish. The town of Whitefish is a fun place to just walk around. The Amtrak station is a favorite..they have a nice little museum within the station.

Last year, I took the Coast Starlight to Portland. From Portland, I took the Cascades to Vancouver, BC. Out of Vancouver, I took the Whistler Mountaineer to Whistler. I spent an enjoyable day in Whistler then back the same way.
Highly recommended.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are right ,Richard. We spent several days in Whitefish and really enjoyed it. There are other towns around that area as well that are interesting.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Take the train to L.A., transfer to the Amtrak bus to Bakersfield, take the San Joaquins to Merced, and then travel east (by connecting bus or rental car) to Yosemite National Park.

You can rent rooms, a cabin, or even a heated tent cabin or two in Curry Village, right inside the park. Hike, ride horses, or just look. The scenery is absolutely spectacular.

---------------------

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
travelplus
Member # 3679

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for travelplus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would go to Santa Fe New Mexico. Take the SW Chief to Lamy and the shuttle to Santa Fe where you can rent a car and go to Taos,Albuquerque,Santa Fe Ski Lodge and more. The weather is nice in April and you may still ba able to ski depending on conditions.

The Camel Rock Suites in Santa Fe has reasonable rates and is nice. Or if you want a nice resort book the Hyatt Tamaya Lodge 1/2 way between Santa Fe and Albuquerque then you could take the Chief just to ABQ and rent a car.

I go to Santa Fe twice a year or more to visit my grandparents.

I have taken the Chief in the past and will do it again in Januaray. The ontime performance is good and coming from LA it can arrive ABQ 40 mins early and is 99.9 percent ontime into Lamy. Only once in a blue moon does it arrive LMY or ABQ late. On the return to LAX it can arrive 46 minutes early. Good Luck

Posts: 259 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about Santa Barbara? Frank from SBA and others here recommended it, and I went this past August. It was a lovely town with so much to see and do. Hotel/inn prices were high this past August, but you could likely get something for less in March or April. Of course, to go here, you could take the Pacific Surfliner, rather than the Coast Starlight.

There is San Francisco too--have you been there? Lots to see and do. If you go, stay near Fisherman's Wharf, as recommended here--much nicer than the Union Square location, IMO. From here, or as a trip on its own, you could also rent a car or use trains and buses to visit Yosemite Park. I am not sure when in spring it would be best to go there, as I have never been.

Or how about Victoria and Vancouver, British Columbia? I am not sure what they would be like in April or before, but in mid-May when I went last year they were lovely, with rain in Vancouver only 1 day of the whole trip. You can make a triangle that includes the Victoria Clipper (this past May about $69 with Triple A discount booked in advance); the Pacific bus/ferry between Victoria and Vancouver (this May about $35) and the Cascades train between Vancouver and Seattle, but you would likely have to overnight in Seattle one or both ways. Victoria is a gorgeous town, and the Best Western David P here recommended is very nice, conveniently located, and not too expensive if you get the Triple A rate.

Or maybe the Grand Canyon including the Grand Canyon train? Or maybe Flagstaff AZ with a car rental and side trips (including the Grand Canyon)?

I have never been to Glacier Park, Montana, but others here seem to love it. I don't know about doing this except in later spring, though. You would have to add the Empire Builder onto your trip, out of Portland.

And I agree, Santa Fe is nice too. The bus transfer from Lamy is easy. We stayed in a recently renovated motel right downtown that was very well located and had quite a bargain Triple A rate, with nice big rooms--Garrett's Desert Inn, 311 Old Santa Fe Trail, Downtown, 505-982-1851, 800-888-2145, www.garrettsdesertinn.com

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Thinking about your question it occurs to me that it really depends on a number of factors in addition to time and money. How many are going, what is the age range and what are your interests. If you love museums and sightseeing the Parks are not for you. Do you want to rent a car or stay put in one place? Are there any physical problems to be considered/ Well you get the idea.
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Sunset appears to live in El Paso, so Santa Fe would be a pretty roundabout train ride vs. auto. Whitefish might still have snow in spring and parts of Glacier would still be closed.

But El Paso to Whitefish would be a GREAT one-zone Guest Rewards trip for the money.

Portland would be nice in spring if you like cities. Don't they have a blooming season?

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SunsetLtd
Member # 3985

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SunsetLtd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whitefish does sound nice and so does San francisco! I've always wanted to ride in one of those cable cars in San Francisco. By the way there's three of us going and our budget is just over $2,000.

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Amsunset

Posts: 250 | From: Texas State University-San Marcos, Texas (Hometown El Paso, TX) | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gp35
Member # 3971

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gp35     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fly to Seattle. Take the Empire to Chicago. Then either Amtrak coach it back to ELP or Southwest it back.

While in Chicago visit the rail museum. Get a picture of 2-10-2 engine 975 for me.

Posts: 562 | From: Beaumont Texas | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you do the San Francisco area, you might want to add on a sidetrip to Sacramento. Visit the California Railroad Museum and Old Sacramento which are just a couple of blocks from the train station.

ACTUALLY, I would be inclined to go TO Sacramento and stay at the Vagabond Inn (much cheaper than San Francisco lodging) AND use the Capitol Corridor trains to make daytrips to San Francisco.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SouthernServesTheSouth
Member # 2284

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for SouthernServesTheSouth   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David, I am also interested in visiting the Sacramento area and would like to know which Vagabond Inn you are referring to. There are four listed for Sacramento. Cal Expo, Old Town, Mid Town and Rancho Cordova.

Thanks.

Posts: 68 | From: Lynchburg, Virginia USA | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SSTH--I'm pretty sure that David means the Old Town location. I've stayed there and it's very convenient to the Amtrak Station and the Museum.

Sunset--The Cable Cars are great fun but be prepared to shell out $5.00 per person per ride. They have become more of an amusement park ride than transportation. The lines at Powell and Market can be long so I always suggest taking the California St. Line from Market next to the Hyatt Regency Hotel. Don't forget to ride the classic streetcars that run along the Embarcadero and up Market Street.

Sojourner--I'm really glad you got to enjoy Santa Barbara! And you are right, rates are lower in the Spring although we have become something of a year-round destination now. I actually think November is the best time to visit. Generally great weather and far fewer crowds.

Frank in Sunny, Warm SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just noticed that your heading says you are going in March. If that is the case, several of the destinations I suggested would probably not be such good ideas because of possible snow problems--Flagstaff, for instance, and the Grand Canyon and Glacier Park. Also maybe Yosemite, I am unfamiliar with weather there in March.

I'm sorry I didn't notice before. I was thinking you said "spring trip" and ignored the month you specified in your heading!

Re San Francisco: To save money, you might consider staying at the Columbus Motor Inn, 1975 Columbus Av just south of Fisherman’s Wharf, 415-885-1492, www.columbusmotorinn.com. It's nothing fancy but has comfortable, spacious rooms in a kind of apartment hotel with a tiny lobby off which there is a big garage area where lodgers can drive in and park; I believe the parking is free or lowcost, a huge saving in SF. Of course, you would be coming as I did, by train and bus--i.e., you take the train to Emeryville or Oakland/Jack London Square and then the shuttle bus to Fisherman's Wharf. The motor lodge is maybe 8 blocks from Pier 39 at Fisherman's Wharft, where the Amtrak shuttle bus leaves you off--walkable but when you arrive you might be better off with a taxi, if you don't know the way or it's late or you have a lot of luggage. Columbus Av is the street that goes across SF without hitting any of the major hills--if you go in the other direction from Fisherman's Square, you come to all the Italian restaurants--a nice not too costly one (for this sort of restaurant) is Mona Lisa, 353 Columbus. From there it's not too far to Chinatown, with many even less expensive eateries.

I imagine you could make the trip for under $2000, but it really depends on your Amtrak costs. With three people, those costs can mount up quickly!

San Francisco is a fun city, although the area around Union Square and the Civic Center are a little seedy. The area by the bay, from the Embarcadero past Fisherman's Wharf t where you walk up along to the Palace of Fine Arts or the Presidio--that is all lovely. Pacific Heights, Marina area . . . very nice. I enjoyed the cable car and trolleys, buses--you can buy an all-day pass for access to all of these for $11. Be sure to take the cable car ride early in the day, before the cable cars get too busy.

I don't know what the weather in SF would be like in March. And a big city trip would be very different from some place cuter and smaller and more of a resort. I really really liked Victoria, for example, though I don't know what that would be like in March--but staying in the Best Western there was certainly more bang for your buck than Columbus Motor Lodge--it's a really nice hotel. And that place I mentioned in Santa Fe was also nicer. But again, I'm not sure Santa Fe is good to visit in March, esp if you want to drive to places like the Bandolier Monument.

Santa Barbara would be nice in March--I imagine it is ALWAYS nice. But the hotels there were definitely pricey; at least in August, when I was there, I couldn't find anything decent for under $200. Luckily I was sharing with a friend, so it wasn't so bad for us. But for a family, definitely a lot. But March could be a lot cheaper; August seemed to be "high season."

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sacramento visitors - The Vagabond Inn Old Town is the place indeed as noted by Frank. It is walking distance from the station and to Old Town and the Rail Museum. Just spent two nights there two weeks ago. The CS arrives in Sacramento at midnight (or later) which is why taking the San Joaquins up is the better deal. Several trains a day although you do have to bus part of the way. But it works out very well.

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will have to echo the comment of Sojourner with regard of the best time to visit Glacier Park. I lived 30 miles east of Glacier Park in the early 1970's. It can snow in Glacier as late as early June and as early as late Sept. I believe the best months to visit Glacier are July through mid September. Be sure and take the "going to the sun" highway. Lots of hiking trails, but watch out for those grizzly bears.

If you do go to Glacier, especially during the summer, a drive up to Waterton Lakes National Park, in Alberta, is worthwhile. Waterton borders on Glacier from the north. The town of Waterton is quite nice. We visited the "Prince of Wales" hotel..just to walk around and admire the view. You can also take a boat trip around the lake..during the trip you cross between the US and Canada.

http://www.watertonchamber.com/

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SSTS - Yes, as others have confirmed, I was speaking of the Vagabond Inn Old Town.

It's nothing fancy BUT it is clean and within walking distance of most anything you would want to see in Sacramento.....the Capitol Building, a mall with movie theatre, the Old Town area, the Railroad Museum, a minor league baseball stadium across the river......everything I've mentioned is within a 5-10 minute walk. The light rail opens up many other possibilities.

The hotel itself is your typical American Motor Hotel but with a few extras.....like cookies upon check-in, a popcorn machine just off the lobby, and do-it-yourself waffles for breakfast if you don't want to go next door to the Denny's.

I've stayed there a couple of times now and hope to do so again next spring or summer now that I have about 30,000 Guest Reward Points to burn!

--------------------
David Pressley

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SunsetLtd
Member # 3985

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SunsetLtd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for all of your replies!! We finally have come to a decision.......... We will go to Seattle now that we know that the Parlours are going to stay. We are going to take the Sunset from here to LA, overnight in LA take the Starlight to Seattle spend 5 days in Seattle then take #11 back to LA. Then overnight in LA and take Sunset#2 back to ELP.

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Amsunset

train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
sounds great. If it is still available take the underground tour. It was fun and interesting. When we get to a new city we take a short sightseeing bus tour. That way we get a good over view and can decide what we want to go back and see.
SunsetLtd
Member # 3985

Member Rated:
Thanks for the suggestion train lady! We never knew there was an underground city tour. We will definatly have to look into doing that.

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Amsunset

notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
I'm a huge fans of little 'add-ons' when I travel.

If time permits on your Seattle trip, you may want to take a day and ride the high speed ferry up to Victoria, BC and back. Scenery is awesome.....it's like a mini-cruise.

--------------------
David Pressley

train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Victoria is a super place! the royal museum there is excellent if you like museums, As to the Seattle underground tour, if they are still doing it ,it started in Pioneer Square. Our guide had quite a sense of humor and I must admit it was a bit eerie to be walking around under the sidewalks and know people were walking there above you.
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SunsetLtd:
We will go to Seattle now that we know that the Parlours are going to stay.

Seems a bit odd to choose your travel destination based on the availabilty (or lack of availability) of the Pacific Parlor Car but. . . have fun.

Just be aware that the baseball season starts at the very beginning of April, and that virtually every hotel in central Seattle tends to sell out in advance whenever the Mariners play a home game. If you think your trip may extend into the start of the season, even by a day or two, check the game schedule and book your rooms early if location and price are an issue.

------------------------------------

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page