RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » travelogue from RRRich

Author Topic: travelogue from RRRich
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RRRICH, Just read your July travelogue on Train Web. It was great. Thanks for sending it. I didn't realize that the Rich Kimmel whose reports I have been reading there and RRRich are one and the same/ You are a very good reporter!! For those of you who haven't read it yet meander over to Train Web and read it.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had not made the connection before now either. Thanks Train Lady.

And thanks for your trip report Rich. My reactions are these;

1) I caught #92 northbound from Winter Park to Washington last month. We were ON-TIME the entire trip. I cannot remember the last time I was on a train on CSX that was on-time. (It has been years.)

2) The Train Store at WUS is something I miss too. I interviewed for and was offered a part-time job in that store when I was a graduate student at the University of Maryland. I ultimately turned it down because the girl I was dating was extremely unhappy that I would be working Saturday evenings.

3) Ahhhhhh.......the Izaak Walton Inn. My wife and I took the Empire Builder to Essex, MT and stayed there on our honeymoon in 1998. My bride (and still my wife) was NOT the aforementioned girlfriend!

4) Finally, if you make it back to Colorado in the near future, ride the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad. Durango is great BUT the C&T is just simply fantastic. I've ridden that train twice now and can't wait to go again. Pack sunscreen because the temptation is to spend much of the day in the open gondola car!

Again.....great report......thanks for sharing.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read this excellent travelogue a while back but also didn't realize Rich Kimmel was RRRich. Thanks for pointing it out, Train Lady, and thanks again for the excellent travelogue, RRRK.

David, is there a good way to get to either of these Colorado railroads using mainly Amtrak (and not renting a car)?

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Sojourner,

If you are traveling solo a rental car is pretty much the only way you can reach both the D&S and C&T scenic railroads. The nearest Amtrak location to them is probably Trinidad, CO which is an unstaffed station in a relatively small town.

In the past when visiting these narrow guage railroads, I have gone into Albuquerque where it is a relatively short $1.00 ride on city transit (which departs from next door to Amtrak) out to the airport for a rental car. Another shuttle bus from the airport to the rental lot is involved BUT ABQ is closer to the narrow guages than Denver.

ONE other note - Periodically I have seen an organization (and I forget which one) in Colorado advertise guided tours in and out of Denver. They bus you around to the various scenic railroads in Colorado for about a week and toss in a ride on the California Zephyr as well. This would be a way to do this without needing to rent a car. The itinerary looks interesting but I've always been one to prefer making my own arrangements......save a little money here, spend extra time there.

--------------------
David Pressley

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sojourner, this may be a long shot but you might be able to get to the Cumbres and Toltec by bus and tourist train. I just finished (and recommend) Chris Guenzler's travelogues on two train trips he just took in the San Luis Valley of southern Colorado (These are dated 11/22 and may be accessed from the trainweb home page just under Rich's). Many excellent photos are included.

One of the trains he took runs between Alamosa and Antonito; schedule and fares at www.alamosatrain.com . Isn't Antonito, CO one end of the Cumbres and Toltec?

Alamosa does connect to Trinidad, Santa Fe, and Denver via TNM&O Coaches, a subsidiary of Greyhound, and is a valid location on the Greyhound website.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 4508

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1702     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's also Greyhound/TNM&O service once a day from Grand Junction, CO (Calif. Zephyr stop) to Durango.
Current schedule departs Grand Jct. 1240PM, arriving Durango 520PM. Returning leaves Durango 1140AM, arriving Grand Jct. 355PM.

It is possible to go from Durango to Alamosa on the same carrier but it takes 23 hours due to an overnight stay in Albuquerque.

Posts: 73 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the info! I would love to take one or both of these little trains some day.
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You guys all beat me to reading my own travelogue!!! I just saw today that it had finally been posted!!

You guys didn't realize it was me that posted the other travelogues, eh? Hope you enjoyed my travelogue!!!!

--Railroad Rich Kimmel

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The bus ride from Grand Junction to Durango would probably be one of the most scenic in the US. Happy to see it runs in daylight hours. The auto route from Ouray to Silverton to Durango is named the Million Dollar Highway, a tourist attraction in itself. I'm surprised they can get a bus around those hairpin turns. Anyone squeamish about hieghts or sheer drops might not be able to look out the window for some of the ride.
Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by TwinStarRocket:
The bus ride from Grand Junction to Durango would probably be one of the most scenic in the US. Happy to see it runs in daylight hours. The auto route from Ouray to Silverton to Durango is named the Million Dollar Highway, a tourist attraction in itself. I'm surprised they can get a bus around those hairpin turns. Anyone squeamish about hieghts or sheer drops might not be able to look out the window for some of the ride.

My wife and I drove the Million Dollar Highway in July 1997 from Durango to Ouray. Truly a wonderful drive.

--------------------
David Pressley

ehbowen
Member # 4317

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ehbowen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't drive the Million Dollar Highway, but I visited Durango and rode the Silverton in 2003.

Re Ouray: Can you imagine what a wonderful tourist experience it would be if the Rio Grande Southern narrow gauge railway was still extant?

--------------------
--------Eric H. Bowen

Stop by my website: Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables of the great trains of the past!

Posts: 413 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heck, I'd settle for the entire Alamosa -- Durango route. I have a friend (a few years older than I) who actually rode the "Prospector" from Alamosa to Durango behind steam as a boy.

I agree that the C&TS is a wonderful ride. It doesn't have the concentrated scenery of the D&SNG, but it gives a rider a much better sense of the "men vs. mountains" aspect of the Colorado narrow gauge -- little trains and BIG mountains. The yard in Cumbres is like the East Broad Top, preserved history, complete with narrow gauge steam rotary "OY" in the yard. And the 4.5% grade on the climb to Windy Point is an awesome experience.

Having driven the Million Dollar Highway myself, I'd go for the bus from Grand Junction. Problem is, you won't easily be able to get to Chama from Durango. There MAY be local transportation.

BTW, there is about 500 feet of track, a truss bridge, and a few cars and a loco preserved around Arboles, on the otherwise abandoned section from Durango to Chama. I came upon them on a drive from one place to the other. Apparently an Indian reservation preserved the piece of track and the equipment.

Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have taken the Durango-Silverton narrow gauge..you can't beat the scenery. I do want to try the Cumbres and Toltec, however. If I head east on the Southwest Chief and get off in Albuquerque, is there some sort of shuttle bus up to Chama, NM ? I guess I could rent a car in either Albuquerque or Santa Fe and drive up to Chama.

The highway between Grand Junction, CO and Durango, CO is, indeed, one of the most beautiful drives I've ever taken. If you can rent a car in Grand Junction, I think it is better than a bus as you can stop and visit various areas along the way. We stopped and had lunch in Ouray..one of my favorite towns. Anyone who has not taken the Durango-Silverton narrow gauge, it is really a great experience. If you stay in Durango, and can afford it, I suggest the Strater Hotel. A very old and historic hotel and a lot of fun. If beyond your budget and you stay elsewhere, I recommend going over to the "Diamond Belle Saloon", at the Strater, for some great music.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ehbowen
Member # 4317

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ehbowen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know about from Albuquerque, but I can testify from my 2003 experience that Chama is a short and pleasant drive north from Santa Fe (which, of course, is served by Amtrak via shuttle from Lamy), and from there to Durango is another easy drive. We left Santa Fe about 10 in the morning, had lunch in Chama and poked around the C&TS yards for a while, and were in Durango in time for a leisurely dinner at the Strater Hotel. (Wonderful hotel--just two blocks from the D&SNGRR station).

If you have the budget, or can get a good price, another hotel with railroad ties I can recommend is La Fonda in Santa Fe, formerly under Fred Harvey management. Rates are steep, but you at least owe it to yourself to take in a meal in their main dining room if you're in the area. It seems that virtually every square foot of the hotel, both rooms and public areas, has been hand-decorated by local artists. When we stopped in overnight, purely by chance we found out that we had arrived just in time to catch the "burning of Zozobra, the kickoff to Fiesta in Santa Fe. Massive (almost scary) crowds, but a fun experience.

rresor--So the Alamosa-Durango narrow gauge run was officially (or unofficially) known as the "Prospector"? I'd like to hang on to that information for when I get around to doing the West.

--------------------
--------Eric H. Bowen

Stop by my website: Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables of the great trains of the past!

Posts: 413 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ehbowen:

rresor--So the Alamosa-Durango narrow gauge run was officially (or unofficially) known as the "Prospector"? I'd like to hang on to that information for when I get around to doing the West.

I'm not sure about it, but I thought the train was called the San Juan?? I know there was a Prospector that the DRGW ran overnight from Denver to Salt Lake. I saw it one dark night in the mid 60's when camped near Moffet tunnel.

Nice train with some of the cars that were originally ordered by the C&O for their new 'Chessie' train that they decided to not run with much of the equipment then going to the DRGW, Nickel Plate, and B&O.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by palmland:
quote:
Originally posted by ehbowen:

I'm not sure about it, but I thought the train was called the San Juan?? I know there was a Prospector that the DRGW ran overnight from Denver to Salt Lake. I saw it one dark night in the mid 60's when camped near Moffet tunnel.

Nice train with some of the cars that were originally ordered by the C&O for their new 'Chessie' train that they decided to not run with much of the equipment then going to the DRGW, Nickel Plate, and B&O.

You are correct on both counts Palmland.....although my knowledge is from reading and not firsthand.

I recall reading somewhere that clearing the line over Cumbres Pass of snow became a larger problem for the Rio Grande after the daily passenger train was discontinued. Seems like the freights were not moving daily by that time and snows would drift in and cover the line when there was not at least one train passing each day.

Of course by the mid-1960's they would simply embargo the line during the winter months altogether.

--------------------
David Pressley

palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David -

On that same camping trip, I believe the summer of '64, we stopped by Alamosa. The shops there were still in operation, although nothing moving. A couple guys were in there working on the engines. It was so neat, but they knew the end was near.

Sometime I've got to get all my old slides scanned, although did not take enough pictures. Why take pictures when the trains would always be there? sigh.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page